189 replies to this topic

#41 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:47 PM

Looks like he found out his value. Exactly what he signed for, that's his value. Glad it's resolved. Glad I stopped caring about all the rumor and gossip and hot-take-of-the-day several months ago.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#42 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:54 PM

Didn't their previous offer essentially have 179 guaranteed for all intents and purposes?

Something like that.  I was wondering if the 185 was fully guaranteed or a similar practical guarantee.  That's a big jump if it's a guarantee at signing, but it's just a minor increase from Hurts' deal if it's a practical guarantee with injury guarantee at signing.

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:02 PM

So is this gonna go down within the next hour? Sure would be nice, since I'd like to kick back and watch Ortiz's debut without distractions.

Probably not but hopefully. Agreed that not paying very much attention to the draft tonight would be ideal

#44 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:09 PM

Best ultimate outcome. Looks very similar to the Hurts deal, though I can't imagine they structure it the way the Eagles did with their extreme backloading, but I guess we'll see. Either way, the Ravens should have some cap room now to sign a veteran CB, edge, WR (DHop?) with a presumably lower first year cap hit.

No reason they can't field a better, more talented team in 2023 than they did last season. Move a little bit closer tonight.

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:22 PM

Hats off to the Ravens for how they handled these negotiations. People have speculated about losing a step (I still HATE the OBJ signing). But clearly, they’ve still got it.

Their moves around this weren’t without risk. They speculated perfectly here.
  • Mackus and Biggsy like this

#46 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:34 PM

With Lamar in the fold, if we trade for DHop and pick a CB with our first pick (I'm assuming it's a high 2nd rounder) I will feel *really* good about 2023.

• Hooded Viper and Biggsy like this

#47 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:40 PM

With Lamar in the fold, if we trade for DHop and pick a CB with our first pick (I'm assuming it's a high 2nd rounder) I will feel *really* good about 2023.

I could take or leave Hopkins. I think he has more in the tank than some here would believe. His hands and contested catch ability are something we haven't had since Boldin. Same with OBJ. Both can go up and bail a QB out downfield. So if we go get Hopkins, I wouldn't be upset. But I also wouldn't be mad if we didn't go get him.

I want a CB as my first rounder now. Unless someone unexpected is there. If somehow Johnson Jr. or Jones fell, and we took them over a CB, I wouldn't be upset. But if we walk away with one of the top 3 CB's, I'm happy.

#48 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:49 PM

I could take or leave Hopkins. I think he has more in the tank than some here would believe. His hands and contested catch ability are something we haven't had since Boldin. Same with OBJ. Both can go up and bail a QB out downfield. So if we go get Hopkins, I wouldn't be upset. But I also wouldn't be mad if we didn't go get him.

I want a CB as my first rounder now. Unless someone unexpected is there. If somehow Johnson Jr. or Jones fell, and we took them over a CB, I wouldn't be upset. But if we walk away with one of the top 3 CB's, I'm happy.

I saw some tape last year of Hopkins and he still gets open in isolation at will.  His contested catch ability is just icing on the cake for him, and takes him from good to HOFer.  I think he has at least 1 great season left, and 1 more good season, if he stays healthy.

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:51 PM

I don’t think it’s sunk in yet how awesome it is that this is over. It’s not what I would’ve done necessarily, but what a relief. The thought of this going into a camp holdout, or even a year 2 tag… so glad this is finally resolved.

Now it’s on to hoping that the health of Gus and Dobbins and Stanley (and hopefully Bateman), and Monken’s hiring will lead to a different ultimate result than we’ve gotten consistently under the rookie deal.

Also, if healthy, DHop would move the needle. So even though going THAT all-in scares me a bit about the future, I do legitimately think there’s a window here, and to get past Mahomes, Burrow and Allen, they’ll need to take risks.

#50 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:00 PM

Like I said, Lamar has to suit up for a full season and play like the elite quarterback he's being paid to be.  Bateman too.  They need to stay healthy or all of this will just be smoke and mirrors.  And Lamar has nanoscopic room for error now.  Fans are not going to be forgiving after this long, drawn out saga.  Hopefully, he'll be able to handle the responsibility and burden of being the "bad guy" when things go south.  He's got a bullseye on his back, fair or unfair. 

#51 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:02 PM

Don’t forget, Dobbins, Gus, Stanley, Linderbaum, Zeitler, etc. And a new coordinator. Sans Hopkins, there’s zero excuse to not get over the hump anymore. But I think most people don’t care about getting over the hump. We will make the playoffs, and have a competent offense. That’s more important than winning Championships for some reason.

Honestly don’t know how you come to this conclusion. Everyone’s happy now because this multi year saga has come to an end. But everyone wants to win a championship and if he is one and done again, if it’s his fault of course, then he will get his justified criticism.

I personally think with the weapons (hope we get DHop but not for 22nd) and new OC this offense is gonna be sick and combine that with the stellar special teams and a top 10-7 D this team is built for the Bowl. Time will tell.

#52 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:06 PM

I want Hopkins way more than OBJ. If it happens I could honestly see the main WR combo being Hopkins and Bateman by year end, if Bate can just stay freaking healthy!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#53 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:09 PM

Glad Lamar is back. I didn’t wanna go through QB unless absolutely necessary. Hopefully he can stay healthy and balls out like we know he can. It’ll be interesting to see what the Ravens do tonight.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:09 PM

Is that 185 gtd at sign?

Thats more or less splitting the difference between their previous offer and the Watson deal. That's a pretty big guarantee.

No idea yet, but my guess is that's total guaranteed and fully at signing is less. Interested to find out.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:10 PM

Honestly don’t know how you come to this conclusion. Everyone’s happy now because this multi year saga has come to an end. But everyone wants to win a championship and if he is one and done again, if it’s his fault of course, then he will get his justified criticism.

I personally think with the weapons (hope we get DHop but not for 22nd) and new OC this offense is gonna be sick and combine that with the stellar special teams and a top 10-7 D this team is built for the Bowl. Time will tell.

I just tend to put more stock on historical performance over blind hope that moving forward it will be different despite a higher cap hit. That said, real changes have been made. Monken. Possibly DHop (sorry, OBJ is a zero for me). Improved health hopefully. At this point, this is where we are, so I’m on board. I’m not going to root against Lamar, or the Ravens, in hope I get to come in here and say I told you so. F that. I want to be wrong and even if I’m not I won’t be happy about it in any way, shape or form. Go Ravens. Go Lamar. Moving on.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#56 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:20 PM

I'm kinda meh on the whole thing.  Somewhat disappointed we re-signed someone who so clearly quit on the team at the end of last season and is constantly injured.  At least it's over.

I understand the pro-argument as well.

#57 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:22 PM

That contract should help the swelling go down, indefinitely.

If he’s not in a cast, walking boot, post concussion, or neck collar, he better be f***ing playing.
@BSLMikeRandall

#58 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:22 PM

I'm kinda meh on the whole thing. Somewhat disappointed we re-signed someone who so clearly quit on the team at the end of last season and is constantly injured. At least it's over.

I understand the pro-argument as well.

I will always maintain if the team thought he quit, and they’d know better than anyone, they wouldn’t be giving him $260M.

Injury concerns are totally valid.

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:28 PM

I will always maintain if the team thought he quit, and they’d know better than anyone, they wouldn’t be giving him $260M.

Injury concerns are totally valid.

I think the points 2035 made the other day surrounding the nuances of that whole situation make a lot of sense and allow for a scenario where maybe Lamar was, let’s say, overly cautious… but the Ravens ultimately understood why, given how much he had on the line.
  • makoman likes this

#60 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:42 PM

I think the points 2035 made the other day surrounding the nuances of that whole situation make a lot of sense and allow for a scenario where maybe Lamar was, let’s say, overly cautious… but the Ravens ultimately understood why, given how much he had on the line.

Yeah, probably was nuanced, not black and white. Bottom line though is whatever went down it wasn’t an unforgivable offense to the team, or his teammates from what we’ve heard, so I don’t know why it’s a big deal to everyone who has no clue what really happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=