189 replies to this topic

#161 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 05:19 PM

It'll definitely be interesting to see how Monken calls plays in Baltimore. His offenses have looked somewhat different at each stop, and that's encouraging. That being said, he obviously has a much stronger passing game background than Roman, and the Ravens clearly have been building the team this offseason with the passing game in mind.

It seems like he ran a fair amount of RPOs (like many teams) with Georgia last season. It would make sense to carry that over to the Ravens, especially with a WR group strong at running after the catch. Lamar either handing the ball to JK/Edwards, or pulling it and looking to the backside with Flowers running a bubble from the slot and Bateman running a slant. Or a slant/flat combo from OBJ and Andrews. It's the epitome of balance and it gets all of your playmakers involved.

Just something simple to sprinkle in that I think would nicely marry the run and pass game, especially if they still intend to run the read option, which they should. Quick reads, and less asking Lamar to extend plays and play hero ball.

I expect a lot more from Monken than basic RPOs, but it would be a nice way to incorporate some similar looks from the previous offense while bridging over to something new.

#162 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 05:27 PM

Its great reading people talking about Lamar under center and running the new offense. What you guys think we can do within the offense. So refreshing not having the toxicity that hung over every Ravens post the previous 4 months
  • You Play to Win the Game and PrimeTime like this

#163 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 11:35 PM

Oh snap. Some accountability  :eek:

“We want to maximize Lamar’s ability,” stated DeCosta. “I’ve probably done a poor job at doing that over the last couple of years, in some ways, by not having more receivers around him. And we love the guys we have, but you know, in terms of building the best possible offense, that’s a factor too.”

I found this funny.  I basically said this very same thing toward the end of last season.  I was met with some opposition.  I was never saying he was a terrible GM, just that the finger of blame for the WR mess was pointed squarely at him.  I am still on the side of the jury is out as far as EDC goes.  I question picking Ojabo when Pickens was still there last year, and in this draft I question not taking Keele Ringo when they had the chance.  We shall see.  

#164 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 11:52 PM

I never once said the same amount of guaranteed money was the hold up. Feel free to post the quote that doesn't exist.

I think I did say that, and I still believe it was.  I think the timeline was basically.....

- After last season:  Lamar wants DeShaun Watson money fully guaranteed.

- Non exclusive franchise tag:  Lamar is willing to entertain offers for the contract he wants.

- A few weeks later:  Nobody is willing to part with two #1 picks and pay all of that money, Lamar asks for a trade.

- A week before the draft: Jalen Hurts signs a record contract with no full guarantee.

- Two days before the draft:  Lamar has a come to Jesus moment and realizes nobody is going to step up, calls EDC to get a deal before the Ravens draft and possibly try to trade up to get their next QB.   

• Mackus and bmore_ken like this

#165 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 11:59 PM

I feel pretty strongly that normal screen passes don't work with Lamar as your QB because screens rely on overcommitting to the QB and teams can't afford to do that with Lamar under center.  If you want to do a RB screen, then I think it would have to be some sort of RPO where Lamar keeps it if the defense sits back, and throws it if the defense commits to the rush.

I think that is 100% spot on.  Screens and draws work because the DL comes full blast in and a delayed developing play takes the rushers out of the equation.  The league was not set to deal with a QB with the dynamic rushing talents of Lamar Jackson in 2019.  You full blitz a guy like Brady or Roethlisberger, even if you don't get there he isn't taking off for a 70 yard gain.  Lamar was a different bird in that respect.  If you full blitz him you better get him.  Teams started dropping off the DL so he couldn't break off those runs, and that kills any chance of a screen or draw play being successful.  

#166 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:47 AM

I think I did say that, and I still believe it was.  I think the timeline was basically.....

- After last season:  Lamar wants DeShaun Watson money fully guaranteed.

- Non exclusive franchise tag:  Lamar is willing to entertain offers for the contract he wants.

- A few weeks later:  Nobody is willing to part with two #1 picks and pay all of that money, Lamar asks for a trade.

- A week before the draft: Jalen Hurts signs a record contract with no full guarantee.

- Two days before the draft:  Lamar has a come to Jesus moment and realizes nobody is going to step up, calls EDC to get a deal before the Ravens draft and possibly try to trade up to get their next QB.   

Maybe that's where his confusion is coming from, I just know it wasn't me. I'm probably the only person on the board that didn't buy the fully guaranteed deal being the hold up.  I said I don't know how many times that I didn't think it was about a fully guaranteed contract, but about the amount of guaranteed money. I never specified any amount including what Watson's contract calls for. Ironically if he survives the total contract he'll make that much anyway. 

• cprenegade likes this

#167 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 08:53 AM

Maybe that's where his confusion is coming from, I just know it wasn't me. I'm probably the only person on the board that didn't buy the fully guaranteed deal being the hold up.  I said I don't know how many times that I didn't think it was about a fully guaranteed contract, but about the amount of guaranteed money. I never specified any amount including what Watson's contract calls for. Ironically if he survives the total contract he'll make that much anyway. 

Its inane to have constantly been making that distinction if you didn't mean a comparable amount to what Watson got.  

And its wrong to make the declaration that since Lamar signed for the deal he signed for, that you were right about what the sticking point was prior to them reaching the agreement.  Its plausible that either a 100% guaranteed deal or a certain number of total guaranteed dollars was Lamar's line in the sand back in September and again in March, but then he backed off that as the offseason unfolded and he didn't find a bigger offer elsewhere.  To the meaningless extent that those two negotiation goals for Lamar are different, we can't distinguish if it was one or the other that was the initial hold up, just that there was a hold up.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#168 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 May 2023 - 01:16 PM

The next thing I am waiting to see from Lamar is whether he attends the OTA's.  He hit the bank, now let's hit the field.  I think he will and will be disappointed if he does not.

@mikeghg

#169 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 01:47 PM

The next thing I am waiting to see from Lamar is whether he attends the OTA's.  He hit the bank, now let's hit the field.  I think he will and will be disappointed if he does not.

I believe last year was the only time he skipped, so I'd be surprised if he isn't there.

• Mike B likes this

#170 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:05 PM

I believe last year was the only time he skipped, so I'd be surprised if he isn't there.

I don't see why he won't be there. 

#171 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:46 PM

The next thing I am waiting to see from Lamar is whether he attends the OTA's. He hit the bank, now let's hit the field. I think he will and will be disappointed if he does not.

Lamar's agent better tell him it would be a bad PR move to not attend OTA's.
  • hallas likes this

#172 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 08:45 AM

A leader will be there. I expect him to be.

#173 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 May 2023 - 08:37 PM

Let the meltdown ensue.

https://www.espn.com...ts-signing-deal

#174 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 11 May 2023 - 12:26 PM

Let the meltdown ensue.

https://www.espn.com...ts-signing-deal

I think Hensley is off his rocker here.

The most recent minicamp was for rookies. It appears that the team unofficially told offensive players they wouldn't kick them out if they wanted to show up to get to know Monken. But the first official day of voluntary vet OTAs is on May 22. Maybe it would be nice for him to show up but this isn't even an officially scheduled voluntary event for veterans.
  • Biggsy likes this

#175 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 12:38 PM

I think Hensley is off his rocker here.

The most recent minicamp was for rookies. It appears that the team unofficially told offensive players they wouldn't kick them out if they wanted to show up to get to know Monken. But the first official day of voluntary vet OTAs is on May 22. Maybe it would be nice for him to show up but this isn't even an officially scheduled voluntary event for veterans.

Jeez. Whata hit piece. Is Hensley a hater too. Well the headline is a hit headline anyway.

#176 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 01:24 PM

Much to do about nothing.  No meltdown in my neighborhood. 

#177 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 02:40 PM

Much to do about nothing.  No meltdown in my neighborhood. 

Agreed

#178 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 09:15 AM

Lamar won't even play a game as the highest paid QB in the league.  Herbert gets an incrementally larger extension, 5/$262.5M.  Very slightly less fully guaranteed at signing though if initial reports are accurate.

#179 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 09:35 AM

Huge stats, but 1 playoff appearance in 3 years. Be interesting to see what kind of loot Burrows demands.

#180 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 26 July 2023 - 12:06 PM

Huge stats, but 1 playoff appearance in 3 years. Be interesting to see what kind of loot Burrows demands.

Philip Rivers 2.0.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=