#22 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 09:57 PM

I’m officially ok with the Lopez deal

Still be nice if Povich wasn't getting smacked around in AA.

#23 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 10:00 PM

Nah. Cano providing a big part of that bridge until the O's can get Givens and Tate back into that late inning BP rotation is freakin huge.

#24 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 24 April 2023 - 10:02 PM

Cano is the type of player that could have been acquired without much pain.
  • You Play to Win the Game, Mackus, BaltBird 24 and 1 other like this

#25 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 10:04 PM

Cano is already 29 and got smoked in his limited time last year. Maybe he's found a new gear, but he's hardly enough to make any trade a win. He's been great so far this year, but it'll take a lot more for me to buy that he's legit.

#26 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 10:26 PM

Cano is the type of player that could have been acquired without much pain.

Who do you think the O's should've got back for Lopez? I mean, if we're being honest, Jorge Lopez was the definition of fools gold last year.

Cano is already 29 and got smoked in his limited time last year. Maybe he's found a new gear, but he's hardly enough to make any trade a win. He's been great so far this year, but it'll take a lot more for me to buy that he's legit.

The X factor here is Bautista. Cano is now an Oriole. Povich needs to figure out his command. 

#27 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 10:45 PM

Bautista being what he's become has nothing to do with the Lopez trade.

Povich's success will determine if it was a good deal or not. Cano was simply a throw in.

#28 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 10:59 PM

Bautista being what he's become has nothing to do with the Lopez trade.

Povich's success will determine if it was a good deal or not. Cano was simply a throw in.

Bautista being the 6'8" 285lb RHP ready to slot into the role of closer had nothing to do with the Lopez trade? 

That's not how this works. Bautista made Lopez expendable. I get why nobody liked the move, but it's not like it cost them the playoffs. 

Also, the fact Cano is performing right now as a late inning option for the Orioles during the first quarter suggests Cano was more than a throw-in.

I would argue that current state is the O's won the trade, because they got a big arm prospect in AA looking to click. 

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,680 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 06:32 AM

How a mechanical tweak to his ‘nasty’ stuff turned Yennier Cano into one of Baltimore’s best relievers – Baltimore Sun

#30 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 06:41 AM

I was nervous going to him in the 9th, especially after Cloulumbe walked the leaf off guy, and Cano balked that runner over, but he’s pretty filthy. Was worried that liner down the 3B line was going to tie up the game. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,363 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 07:24 AM

It'll take about two months to fully trust him, but can't deny both the effectiveness and the way the stuff looks so far this season.

They've definitely shown a knack for getting some real bullpen production from freely available players.  Bautista, Lopez, Perez, Baker, and hopefully now Cano and Coulombe.  I think even guys like Tate, Akin, and Baumann fit the category, while they were in the organization and originally cost some real resources to acquire, they were on the precipice of the waiver wire by the time they found it here.

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 April 2023 - 08:30 AM

Who do you think the O's should've got back for Lopez? I mean, if we're being honest, Jorge Lopez was the definition of fools gold last year.

I don't want to get into a big debate about this again, but to answer your question, I don't think they should have traded him unless they were blown away given that they were in playoff contention and Lopez was under further club control.

Btw, he's been lights out so far this year himself.

#33 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 11:10 AM

Not sure I'd say he's getting smacked around.

.652 OPS against, .367 BAbip against, so seems like he's been a little unlucky in the early going.  No HRs allowed. 17K in 12IP.  Walks have been the main issue with 7.

He's an interesting follow this year for certain.

As mweb mentioned Lopez has been very good in the early going, the key being 0 walks through 9.2IP.

The players in this trade will be fun to watch for sure just because of how polarizing the trade was at the time.  If Cano ends up hitting I think you have to give Elias credit for it to be fair, even if it does seem like he was a throw-in from the outside.

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 12:59 PM

Povich was great his first start. Not his second. To small of a sample size with him. Not just this year but since we acquired him. Minnesota wasnt just gonna give up Cano. He wasnt the main piece but he was a part of the deal. I dont like the idea of saying he was easily gettable or wasnt worth much alone as a way to diminsh his work here and keep crapping on the trade.

Btw I still agree that we have a ways to go before we really know what we have with him. Can he maintain the command and control. At this point I worry morr aout that than is the stuff good enough. Last year it was both those things. He will face adversity and tough times at some point. Lets see how he responds.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,363 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 01:42 PM

Cano was easily gettable.  We just got Coulombe, a better track record and major league pedigree, for nothing.  Cano's a part of the Lopez trade and so will be a part of the results calculus, but the trade was absolutely about Povich and to a much lesser extent Rojas.  Cano and the other guy who's name escapes me were basically throw-ins, and while Elias gets credit if either pops, he also could have easily acquired either without needing to deal Lopez or any other actual commodity. 

There is little difference between acquiring Cano and a waiver wire acquisition, IMO.  Credit due for finding value on the waiver wire, that's an immensely valuable skill if repeatable (and he's repeated it a handful of times already so plenty of reason to think it is), but it doesn't enhance the process of the Lopez trade for me.  That's still only about the main pieces and I'll never be convinced on that process even if the results are phenomenal.

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08 and BSLRoseKatz like this

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 02:19 PM

Yeah, disagree. Just because Cano feels like he was easily gettable or was nothing special doesnt mean Minn didnt like him and wouldve easily parted with him. Maybe that was the case. Maybe they had given him a AAAA label and were relatively close to removing him from 40 man. We dont know that. I think back to maybe a Tanner Scott for the Os before he somewhat established himself here and got traded. A live arm. An arm with potential. Was he easily gettable in 2017 or 2018. I doubt it. Teams can understand that a guys value isnt high and still not want to trade him or make him easily available.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,363 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 02:26 PM

Tanner Scott was 23 years old in 2018.  Not a reasonable comparison.

Mike Wright in 2018 would be a closer comp.  He had plenty of MLB failure, though, compared to no experience for Cano.  So not exact.  

Phoenix Sanders!  There's the comp.

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 02:30 PM

No way. Cano has a live arm. Age is irrelevant. Not like he toiled in the minors for years. He was a Cuban import whos only been in America since 2019

#39 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 02:33 PM

Moreover, he only threw 15 innings in '19 and obviously didnt pitch in live games in '20. He wasnt a guy who stalled out in the minors.

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 25 April 2023 - 02:38 PM

I mean I dont even believe in Cano yet but its clear why its an arm you dont want to quit easily. Thats the only point here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=