1909 replies to this topic

#241 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 11:39 AM

Aren't the rules that putting a positional player on the IL requires him to be replaced by a positional player?  That was my impression at least.  Agree that if Irvin were available he should have gotten the nod, just not sure what the nuances of the rules are.

As far as I can tell, the rule is only regarding the max number of positional and pitchers that can be rostered, but not specifically that like must replace like.  So as long as they made another move before the game that got them within the correct limits, they'd have been good.  We've seen this happen already this year previously.  So they know the rules and knew Irvin was an option and decided against it.  I do understand the rationale for going with the bullpen game given the status of the relievers and the pending off day.  I still would've preferred going to Irvin, but I didn't think it was an indefensible decision.  It did, however, blow up in their faces so blame can be slung fairly, IMO.

In the postseason, if you're gonna replace someone on your roster for a given round due to an injury, then you can only replace the injured player with the same type of replacement.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#242 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 12:05 PM

OK - I thought that changed in the case of trying to recall a recently optioned player.  I could certainly be wrong though and I don't know where to look.

#243 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 June 2023 - 12:21 PM

Maybe we see Bruce Zimmerman in the pen tonight.

https://www.masnspor...n-san-francisco

I really believe the pen needs 2 long men.  Zimmerman can be one.  

If Voth is not going into the rotation, he can be the other.

I think it is time to DFA Perez, and send Akin down.  

Bring Irvin back when the open rotation spot comes up again.  Until then, maybe bring Vespi up.

I was holding out hope that we would get the 2022 Cionel Perez back but I think that proverbial ship has sailed. It's time to move on.

The rotation will be a bit jumbled with another off day on Monday. The probables for this weekend are Kremer, Bradish and Wells. Assuming Gibson goes on Tuesday, we can bring back Kremer, Bradish and Wells on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and we wouldn't need a 5th starter until 6/10. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#244 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 June 2023 - 01:30 PM

I was holding out hope that we would get the 2022 Cionel Perez back but I think that proverbial ship has sailed. It's time to move on.

The rotation will be a bit jumbled with another off day on Monday. The probables for this weekend are Kremer, Bradish and Wells. Assuming Gibson goes on Tuesday, we can bring back Kremer, Bradish and Wells on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and we wouldn't need a 5th starter until 6/10. 

Yea, I saw that too.    Go with 9 relievers until the need for the 5th starter.

@mikeghg

#245 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 June 2023 - 01:39 PM

Wonder what caused the concussion? Pretty rare in baseball, isn't it?

Bad hop during infield practice.

#246 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:01 PM

Bad hop during infield practice.

You sure about that?  I was told they don't practice fielding. :)

• You Play to Win the Game, BobPhelan and Mike in STL like this

#247 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:19 PM

Givens to the IL, Zimmerman recalled.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#248 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:22 PM

Irvin just threw 6 on Wednesday, so that's why it's not him.

#249 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 04:23 PM

Givens to the IL, Zimmerman recalled.

Can't imagine him being any worse than Givens, who has nothing left in the tank.  How old is he?  32? 33?  His stuff is history.  Time to retire. 

#250 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 09:08 AM

Tate seems dead.  Givens looked awful, didn't have any remaining upside to begin with, and is now IL'd with a phantom injury, so that's bleak.  Perez hasn't been jettisoned yet, but similarly skeptical of him recovering to last year's performance.  Cano is backsliding, hopefully can settle in as someone still worthy of being in the mix for late inning work with guys like Baker, Coloumbe and Baumann.  But I've got as much concern that he disappears entirely as I do hope that he gets back to being dominant at any point.  Those other three guys all have their warts as well.

Where else can we find bullpen help? 

Hall's de-loading has gone really poorly so far.  Can still turn around quickly, but with rumors of lowered velocity I'm pretty skeptical of him helping in the pen this season.  Vespi maybe can produce for a while?  Krehbiel's down there, maybe he can get hot for a while but it'll be hard to trust him much.  Hernandez seems like a way less good version of Tanner Scott, don't see him helping.  

#251 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 09:34 AM

Tate seems dead.  Givens looked awful, didn't have any remaining upside to begin with, and is now IL'd with a phantom injury, so that's bleak.  Perez hasn't been jettisoned yet, but similarly skeptical of him recovering to last year's performance.  Cano is backsliding, hopefully can settle in as someone still worthy of being in the mix for late inning work with guys like Baker, Coloumbe and Baumann.  But I've got as much concern that he disappears entirely as I do hope that he gets back to being dominant at any point.  Those other three guys all have their warts as well.

Hall's de-loading has gone really poorly so far.  Can still turn around quickly, but with rumors of lowered velocity I'm pretty skeptical of him helping in the pen this season.  Vespi maybe can produce for a while?  Krehbiel's down there, maybe he can get hot for a while but it'll be hard to trust him much.  Hernandez seems like a way less good version of Tanner Scott, don't see him helping.  

Tate has to be heading for TJS, at least that's the way I read the situation.

At this point, I think the organization should prep DL Hall for a bullpen role. He could provide a real boost in the 2nd half.

Realistically, I believe we should go outside the organization and make a move for stud reliever. I would go so far as to prioritize a bullpen arm over a starter.

@primetime667083

#252 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,119 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 10:00 AM

I don't expect Hall and his control issues being a reliable BP solution.

#253 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:10 AM

Tate seems dead. Givens looked awful, didn't have any remaining upside to begin with, and is now IL'd with a phantom injury, so that's bleak. Perez hasn't been jettisoned yet, but similarly skeptical of him recovering to last year's performance. Cano is backsliding, hopefully can settle in as someone still worthy of being in the mix for late inning work with guys like Baker, Coloumbe and Baumann. But I've got as much concern that he disappears entirely as I do hope that he gets back to being dominant at any point. Those other three guys all have their warts as well.

Hall's de-loading has gone really poorly so far. Can still turn around quickly, but with rumors of lowered velocity I'm pretty skeptical of him helping in the pen this season. Vespi maybe can produce for a while? Krehbiel's down there, maybe he can get hot for a while but it'll be hard to trust him much. Hernandez seems like a way less good version of Tanner Scott, don't see him helping.

Internally? Easton Lucas. Baaically a Tanner Scott clone. Good stuff. Shaky command and control. Vallimont good stuff shaky command and control. Phelan can prob speak more to a Bazardo or Reed Garrett who have solid numbers but may not have any real ability to help a MLB team.

I look at Cano as a Brach type guy. Good. We need to find an O'Day to pair with him. Just said it in game thread. A high lev BP arm remains the biggest external need for me at this time.

#254 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:47 AM

I think Brach was closer to dominant than he was to being just a solid guy.  I would be thrilled if Cano matches that.  

#255 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:57 AM

Brach is a good comp for Cano. Or young Givens either.

Lucas has been impressive but he’ll be 27 this year and was sitting 88-89 with the fastball when I saw him in Aberdeen a few years ago. I know he’s ticked up since then. Good off speed stuff.

Vespi is the obvious next guy up in AAA. Then Bazardo. He has really good stuff but struggled last year coming back from injury. Fully healthy now I think he could be a dude. Reed Garrett is interesting, I know he impressed early in spring despite poor results.

#256 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:58 AM

For now I got them equal. Cano and Brach. Go to A team high lev guys. Cano might slip below that for sure

#257 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 12:11 PM

Tate seems dead. Givens looked awful, didn't have any remaining upside to begin with, and is now IL'd with a phantom injury, so that's bleak. Perez hasn't been jettisoned yet, but similarly skeptical of him recovering to last year's performance. Cano is backsliding, hopefully can settle in as someone still worthy of being in the mix for late inning work with guys like Baker, Coloumbe and Baumann. But I've got as much concern that he disappears entirely as I do hope that he gets back to being dominant at any point. Those other three guys all have their warts as well.

Hall's de-loading has gone really poorly so far. Can still turn around quickly, but with rumors of lowered velocity I'm pretty skeptical of him helping in the pen this season. Vespi maybe can produce for a while? Krehbiel's down there, maybe he can get hot for a while but it'll be hard to trust him much. Hernandez seems like a way less good version of Tanner Scott, don't see him helping.

C’mon man. Guys are easily replaceable.
@BSLMikeRandall

#258 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 12:48 PM

Brach is a good comp for Cano. Or young Givens either.

Lucas has been impressive but he’ll be 27 this year and was sitting 88-89 with the fastball when I saw him in Aberdeen a few years ago. I know he’s ticked up since then. Good off speed stuff.

Vespi is the obvious next guy up in AAA. Then Bazardo. He has really good stuff but struggled last year coming back from injury. Fully healthy now I think he could be a dude. Reed Garrett is interesting, I know he impressed early in spring despite poor results.

Its a shame Hernandez BB rate has spiked into really bad territory again. What an arm from the left side if he had any clue where it was going. Prob the best pure stuff in AAA

Hes a guy who quite possibly in a year or two a team will figure out a way to just get his BB rate down to like 4. Which with his stuff will play. He will be a really good back end arm even if its just for a yr or two. We will all be like we had him.

The way you guys were talking up Lucas a few weeks ago I thought he was more mid 90s

#259 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,119 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 01:19 PM

Brach had 4 very solid years as a dependable arm out of the BP. Gonna take more than a couple great months from Cano to convince me he's even on that level.

Definitely need him to step up and be a very dependable 7/8th inning guy considering Baker's volatility.

Baumann and Voth are just low leverage guys you can't count on handing the ball to with ties or small leads in the late innings.

#260 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,249 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 01:23 PM

No one is predicting a 4 or 5 year run like Brach though its possible. He can be prime Brach for now. All bets off next year, let alone 3 years down the road.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=