143 replies to this topic

#41 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 08:28 PM

He went over the line at times but he also is competitive and wants to win. Can be a fine line. At 30, on what should be a good team, maybe he reels in the drama a bit.

That's a good one. 

That out of the way, this is the Ravens bopping Lamar upside the head to get with the program and sign the contract. If he doesn't, the Ravens will cut OBJ mid-season before he lays waste to the locker room. 

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 09:30 PM

Damn, that's wild. I wanted him and am excited to have him, but that seems like way too much for what he's done recently.

Baltimore has to overpay to lure a WR. Id be curious to know where OBJ was on WR FA lists this offseason. Im assuming still pretty high, though a list like that is subjective in nature.

#43 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 09:52 PM

I do believe it's way an overpay, and it is desperate, but I understand it.  I said that in a thread a few days ago.  I believe the Ravens have a two year window to try and get past KC, Cincy, and Buffalo and after that, it is a rebuild.  I think they now believe Lamar is out of options and will have to play on the tag or hold out.  This is basically an incentive to not hold out.  

I know some people here have said the receiver group was ok last year.  My opinion, no way.  Bateman still has potential, but I've lost a lot of confidence in him.  The rest of the group would fight to be on any other NFL team.  Duvernay is a good special teams player and a good trick play guy, not so much as an NFL receiver.  After that, Robinson, Watkins, and Proche need to consider another career.  Maybe insurance or acting.  Not going to impress anyone even in the CFL with their ability to catch.  

I don't expect OBJ to be there for 17 games.  But I think this is a hail mary pass from EDC.  He knows his WR group from last year was total crap and it is not going to be fixed by the draft this year.  The team is in the two year window.  I think he knows they aren't doing a long term deal with Lamar, so they have him on the tag this year.  They could do it again next year.  After that, it's time to sell off and start rebuilding from the ground up.  So in that respect, I understand what he is doing.  

Two years from now, win a SB, or fail to make the playoffs, a lot of the guys who are being looked at as studs will likely be gone from the Ravens and the rebuild will be underway.   EDC is trying to maximize the team for the two year run.  

• CantonJester likes this

#44 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 April 2023 - 09:58 PM

That’s a lot of money, but since the Ravens can’t promise at this point it won’t be Tyler Huntley or Anthony Brown throwing the passes, an overpay is what it probably requires to get anyone with another choice on the table.

#45 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 10:23 PM

I'm probably crazy for this take but outside of a few things that had no business being public, I feel like his drama is mostly related to wanting the ball, which is a quality that any top receiver is going to have. Maybe he could have gone about it a bit better but we also mostly got a one-sided narrative about it. He's made some gutsy performances over the years too. He's probably a 2nd option at this point in his career but he's still got talent and he probably has more left than DeSean Jackson.

Yeah I don’t really care about the attitude. Most top WR want the ball all the time. Hell Dobbins wants the ball all the time and has said so several times and no one seems to mind.

I do care about his health but I guess the team must have been pleased with his workouts. And if I recall correctly most of the time he’s missed lately is really all one injury. The ACL tear wasn’t properly fixed so it tore again, but now is hopefully good to go and that doesn’t necessarily make him injury prone. I imagine the physical will look at images and confirm that, but I don’t know what they do exactly.

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 11:13 PM

I do believe it's way an overpay, and it is desperate, but I understand it. I said that in a thread a few days ago. I believe the Ravens have a two year window to try and get past KC, Cincy, and Buffalo and after that, it is a rebuild. I think they now believe Lamar is out of options and will have to play on the tag or hold out. This is basically an incentive to not hold out.

I know some people here have said the receiver group was ok last year. My opinion, no way. Bateman still has potential, but I've lost a lot of confidence in him. The rest of the group would fight to be on any other NFL team. Duvernay is a good special teams player and a good trick play guy, not so much as an NFL receiver. After that, Robinson, Watkins, and Proche need to consider another career. Maybe insurance or acting. Not going to impress anyone even in the CFL with their ability to catch.

I don't expect OBJ to be there for 17 games. But I think this is a hail mary pass from EDC. He knows his WR group from last year was total crap and it is not going to be fixed by the draft this year. The team is in the two year window. I think he knows they aren't doing a long term deal with Lamar, so they have him on the tag this year. They could do it again next year. After that, it's time to sell off and start rebuilding from the ground up. So in that respect, I understand what he is doing.

Two years from now, win a SB, or fail to make the playoffs, a lot of the guys who are being looked at as studs will likely be gone from the Ravens and the rebuild will be underway. EDC is trying to maximize the team for the two year run.

And playing for '23 and '24 is fine by me. Said that when Lamar's contract was discussed ad nauseam. I dont know what 29 yr old Lamar will give me if he were to sign a 4 or 5 year deal. I dont care if it means their is a championship window the next few years.
  • cprenegade likes this

#47 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 11:48 PM

And playing for '23 and '24 is fine by me. Said that when Lamar's contract was discussed ad nauseam. I dont know what 29 yr old Lamar will give me if he were to sign a 4 or 5 year deal. I dont care if it means their is a championship window the next few years.

Agreed.  If they can't get by KC, CIncy, and Buffalo next year or the year after, they will be in total rebuild mode.  They have the best total all around team with the exception of WR and a possible question at QB.  Two years to go all out.  After that the fan base will need some patience. 

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 08:49 AM

*With Jackson, the offense is loaded. 

Wherever you are with Jackson staying or going; I think it's pretty apparent the offense is loaded for '23 if he's back. 

Line is in good shape. 

Multiple usable options at WR / TE.   (Bateman, Beckham, Duvernay, Agholor, Andrews, Likely.)
Dobbins ready to blow up. 

New coordinator gives everyone a chance to reset, and new looks for opposing defenses. 

While I'm skeptical of how things could go if Jackson is playing on the tag... there is definitely a world where everything clicks between the lines. 

#49 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 08:56 AM

I guess I'm the only person who feels like OBJ doesn't move the needle much. And that's assuming he plays a full season. I was already excited about the offense because Roman is gone

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:00 AM

I guess I'm the only person who feels like OBJ doesn't move the needle much. And that's assuming he plays a full season. I was already excited about the offense because Roman is gone

He was good enough to move the offense for the Rams 2 years ago.
Yes, he's now 2 years older, and coming off the ACL... but he will be like 20 months removed from the injury when the season starts. 

He will command respect from defenders, which will open up things for Bateman, Andrews, and the running game.
He doesn't have to be what he was in 2016, to significantly help the Ravens in 2023.

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:06 AM

This is a gross overpayment. The $15M is the highest AAV of any FA WR signed this offseason. Lazard and Meyers both at $11M. The $15M total guaranteed is 4th highest behind Lazard, Meyers, and JuJu. These guys also in their mid-20s while OBJ is 30.

OTC Doesn't have OBJ listed yet, but they show the Ravens as having $6.1M in cap space. Spotrac has him listed and has his signing bonus prorated out for four years, four void years. If he is one and done, we'll see him on the Ravens dead money list for four years after this. 

This feels like a check the box signing in response to those stupid cherry picked tweets we see going around about the Ravens lack of spending in the WR FA market. I've broken down those FA Classes since 2018. No one has lived up to the contract. The good receivers are franchised, are extended by their team, or are traded and sign extensions. The ones you let go to free agency, aren't that great. Sammy Watkins in 21' had one of the best years of any FA WR signed that offseason, and it wasn't great. But that should tell you how bad it is to throw big money at these guys. Spending just to spend is bad business, and even worse in a salary cap sport. 

Maybe he's turned a corner when it comes to maturity. He's been fined/suspended 13 times in his career. But, not since 2019. 2 years of good behavior, and year off. We'll see if it continues.

Would have rather drafted another WR. Would rather see how Monken gets his receivers involved. Still think Duvernay was poorly used under Roman and is a valuable weapon. (The whole offense was poorly used under Roman last year). I think Bateman still has top-10 receiver potential but just needs to stay healthy, and out from Roman's shadow, maybe we see that come to fruition. The stay healthy part in two straight years is concerning though. 

If Lamar was as good as the money is asking for, we wouldn't need to be begging for new WRs. They took Tyreek Hill away from Mahomes, wins a SB. Now they've taken JuJu and Hardman away from him. Anyone expect a drop off over in KC? Didn't think so. LJ is asking for more guaranteed money than Mahomes, incase anyone forgot.  

@BSLMikeRandall

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:15 AM

If he is one and done, we'll see him on the Ravens dead money list for four years after this. 

No we won't.  All the prorated bonus comes due when he's cut (or could be spread over two years if he's a post-June 1 cut or designee). 

Most likely his minimum salary and 1/4th or 1/5th of the bonus money goes against the 2023 cap and the rest of the bonus and any incentives reached will go against the 2024 cap as dead money.  Fraction would depend on how many void years it has, can't tell from your post if its three or four void years and haven't seen the source.

Agree he got a lot more from the Ravens than I'd have thought it would take. 

#53 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:17 AM

It's really hard for me to get that upset about a 1 year deal.

#54 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:18 AM

He was good enough to move the offense for the Rams 2 years ago.
Yes, he's now 2 years older, and coming off the ACL... but he will be like 20 months removed from the injury when the season starts.

He will command respect from defenders, which will open up things for Bateman, Andrews, and the running game.
He doesn't have to be what he was in 2016, to significantly help the Ravens in 2023.

As happens in the NFL a lot of things went right for the Rams two years ago. it wasn't just him

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:18 AM

It still feels like they are trying to pacify Lamar, and I am at the point, where I wish they would stop.  OBJ if healthy will put up numbers, if we have a QB that can get him the ball.  This feels like, they know will show up and play on the tag.  I guess they are happy with him, betting on himself again, and building the WR room is part of helping him.  

@mikeghg

#56 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:19 AM

No we won't.  All the prorated bonus comes due when he's cut (or spread over two years if he's post-June 1).

Ok, wasn't sure about that. 

I know OBJ gets that money, but I didn't know if for accounting purposes if the prorated amount shows up year after year after year...

@BSLMikeRandall

#57 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:21 AM

This is a gross overpayment. The $15M is the highest AAV of any FA WR signed this offseason. Lazard and Meyers both at $11M. The $15M total guaranteed is 4th highest behind Lazard, Meyers, and JuJu. These guys also in their mid-20s while OBJ is 30.

OTC Doesn't have OBJ listed yet, but they show the Ravens as having $6.1M in cap space. Spotrac has him listed and has his signing bonus prorated out for four years, four void years. If he is one and done, we'll see him on the Ravens dead money list for four years after this.

This feels like a check the box signing in response to those stupid cherry picked tweets we see going around about the Ravens lack of spending in the WR FA market. I've broken down those FA Classes since 2018. No one has lived up to the contract. The good receivers are franchised, are extended by their team, or are traded and sign extensions. The ones you let go to free agency, aren't that great. Sammy Watkins in 21' had one of the best years of any FA WR signed that offseason, and it wasn't great. But that should tell you how bad it is to throw big money at these guys. Spending just to spend is bad business, and even worse in a salary cap sport.

Maybe he's turned a corner when it comes to maturity. He's been fined/suspended 13 times in his career. But, not since 2019. 2 years of good behavior, and year off. We'll see if it continues.

Would have rather drafted another WR. Would rather see how Monken gets his receivers involved. Still think Duvernay was poorly used under Roman and is a valuable weapon. (The whole offense was poorly used under Roman last year). I think Bateman still has top-10 receiver potential but just needs to stay healthy, and out from Roman's shadow, maybe we see that come to fruition. The stay healthy part in two straight years is concerning though.

If Lamar was as good as the money is asking for, we wouldn't need to be begging for new WRs. They took Tyreek Hill away from Mahomes, wins a SB. Now they've taken JuJu and Hardman away from him. Anyone expect a drop off over in KC? Didn't think so. LJ is asking for more guaranteed money than Mahomes, incase anyone forgot.

And let the choir say Amen

#58 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:23 AM

He just isn’t good.

He’s put up 856 in the past 4 seasons (one of which he missed entirely, last year). That’s over a 21 game span, for an average of a cool 40 yards per game played. Last year they got 30 yards a game out of Duvernay. They got 27 yards a game out of Robinson.

Ravens have lost a step. He isn’t good. This wouldn’t have been a good use of resources even if it were a team friendly deal.

In a cap league, every use of resources matters. What a waste of cap space this will prove to be. And people think it’s helping us close the gap with the top dogs? What am I missing here?

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:26 AM

It's really hard for me to get that upset about a 1 year deal.

It doesn’t matter how long the deal is. This isn’t baseball where we need to worry about guaranteed contracts and awful situations like the O’s and Chris Davis. This is about using every penny you can to give you the best chance in a cap league, and this ain’t it. There are other needs on the roster, with actual solutions out there. Anyone thinking Beckham has solved anything is dreaming or stuck in the past. Stuck way in the past, really.

Meanwhile, guess this means the Ravens are done. Did they even have this much cap space? Who are we cutting for Odell Beckham?
  • bmore_ken likes this

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:28 AM

As happens in the NFL a lot of things went right for the Rams two years ago. it wasn't just him

Of course lots of people have impact on winning a Super Bowl.
But the impact he had on the Rams when he joined them was obviously, and stated by everyone.

I'd be hoping for 15 games, and 50 catches, and I think that's possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=