143 replies to this topic

#21 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 06:39 PM

Adding OBJ and Agholor, as bad it sounds, is much better than what we went into last year with.

Looking back, it's frightening that we expected to form a solid WR room out of Bateman, Duvernay, Robinson, Proche, and Wallace.

I disagree

#22 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 06:40 PM

Exactly. That's all it is.  Sadly though, he's probably the best receiver outside of Andrews on the roster now.  Oh well, at least we know Harbs will love him. 

We'll get to enjoy him for the 5 or 6 games he actually plays

#23 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 April 2023 - 06:43 PM

I'm seriously over EDC. Bring back Oz

I'm not enamored with Beckham but what else would you suggest at this point? We don't have the draft capital to make a trade for an established guy and we don't want to rely on a rookie as our big addition to the WR room.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 06:43 PM

It has to have void years. 13.865 bonus 1.135 base.

Bonus or incentives?

#25 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 06:58 PM

Bonus or incentives?

Bonus from what I saw. Another 3M in incentives.

https://mobile.twitt...194549000654848

#26 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:08 PM

I get the whole "He's 30" and "He brings drama" and "How many games will he actually play" narrative.  All legit concerns.

On the flip side, I'm often irritated (and not alone) with drops.  Or even failure to make "difficult" catches.  Like every week, turn on the highlight shows and you'll see guys you've heard of, guys you haven't heard of, maybe guys who only catch 5 passes their whole career... :)  ...making ridiculous one handed, not looking, juggling but getting two toes down before going OOB, toe dragging the back of the endzone while fully extended to grab an overthrown ball... catches.  And I FEEL like we could count how many times a Ravens receiver has done that in the past 20 years on one hand.  :)  The last image I have of Hollywood Brown is him dropping a rare perfectly thrown deep out route pass from Tyler Huntley on the Ravens sideline right in front of Harbs LAST year against the Steelers.  Then think back to his cuz Antonio as a mostly unknown rookie making a one hand 3rd and 18 catch late in a playoff game against the Ravens at Heinz Field, flipping momentum and leading to a late TD that proved to be the difference and the eliminator.

So... I'm sorta okay with the risk factor ONLY because he brings hands to the field.  Catch the ball.  Give me guys who catch the ball more when it's in radius.  Give me a guy who can catch some balls he has no business catching.

This doesn't mean a whole lot in the big picture, but it's also not something a lot of guys can do... especially the second one...  https://www.espn.com...p/_/id/35832422

#27 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:08 PM

I'm not enamored with Beckham but what else would you suggest at this point? We don't have the draft capital to make a trade for an established guy and we don't want to rely on a rookie as our big addition to the WR room.

A healthy Bateman, Mark Andrews, and a rookie gets the job done imo. The Ravens are now about to pay a guy $18M who can't stay on the field and will start bitching when he doesn't get enough targets. 

#28 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:12 PM

I get the whole "He's 30" and "He brings drama" and "How many games will he actually play" narrative.  All legit concerns.

On the flip side, I'm often irritated (and not alone) with drops.  Or even failure to make "difficult" catches.  Like every week, turn on the highlight shows and you'll see guys you've heard of, guys you haven't heard of, maybe guys who only catch 5 passes their whole career... :)  ...making ridiculous one handed, not looking, juggling but getting two toes down before going OOB, toe dragging the back of the endzone while fully extended to grab an overthrown ball... catches.  And I FEEL like we could count how many times a Ravens receiver has done that in the past 20 years on one hand.  :)  The last image I have of Hollywood Brown is him dropping a rare perfectly thrown deep out route pass from Tyler Huntley on the Ravens sideline right in front of Harbs LAST year against the Steelers.  Then think back to his cuz Antonio as a mostly unknown rookie making a one hand 3rd and 18 catch late in a playoff game against the Ravens at Heinz Field, flipping momentum and leading to a late TD that proved to be the difference and the eliminator.

So... I'm sorta okay with the risk factor ONLY because he brings hands to the field.  Catch the ball.  Give me guys who catch the ball more when it's in radius.  Give me a guy who can catch some balls he has no business catching.

This doesn't mean a whole lot in the big picture, but it's also not something a lot of guys can do... especially the second one...  https://www.espn.com...p/_/id/35832422

Hasn't played a full season in three years. You can't catch if you're not on the field.

• weird-O likes this

#29 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:19 PM

A healthy Bateman, Mark Andrews, and a rookie gets the job done imo. The Ravens are now about to pay a guy $18M who can't stay on the field and will start bitching when he doesn't get enough targets.

I was where you were last year. I thought Bateman, Duvernay and Andrews would be enough but we were a little short. Health being a factor, of course.

Beckham played under Monken and had a good year. Monken doesn't seem to have an issue with guys wanting the ball and it's not like we're going to play GRo ball anymore.

You're spot on about the downside but what about the upside? If Odell can play 13-14 games and average 14 yards per catch (his career avg is 13.9) and you add that to Bateman, Duv, Andrews, Likely, a rookie and Agholor, you've got something going with the pass catchers.

I understand your trepidation but time will tell my friend.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#30 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:22 PM

Hasn't played a full season in three years. You can't catch if you're not on the field.

Our #1 pick from 2021 has never played a full season. It's the NFL, guys get hurt and it sucks but it's part of the risk assessment. Just like what's happening with Lamar. All of the talent but missed parts of the last 2 seasons. We're desperate enough at WR that we're willing to roll the dice

Maybe we need to listen to that audio book on risk management in Costanza's voice. Lol
@primetime667083

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:23 PM

That’s an insane overpay for an over the hill, head case receiver who hasn’t played in a year. Some desperate, and reckless pandering to Lamar. Nothing else explains this stupidity.

#32 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:24 PM

Don't remember hearing a peep from him in L.A. when he was getting like 5 targets a game and Kupp was getting 15.

Also, Oz is very much still in the building, and a large part of the decisions being made.

#33 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:29 PM

That’s an insane overpay for an over the hill, head case receiver who hasn’t played in a year. Some desperate, and reckless pandering to Lamar. Nothing else explains this stupidity.

Desperate? Absolutely.

However, perhaps Monken is very confident he can get the most out Beckham.

Trying to find some positive, glass half full perspective here.
@primetime667083

#34 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,405 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:48 PM

FWIW, Lamar posted a video of himself face timing OBJ with the hash tag Truzz. He knows he isn't going anywhere.

#35 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 09 April 2023 - 07:53 PM

I'm probably crazy for this take but outside of a few things that had no business being public, I feel like his drama is mostly related to wanting the ball, which is a quality that any top receiver is going to have. Maybe he could have gone about it a bit better but we also mostly got a one-sided narrative about it. He's made some gutsy performances over the years too. He's probably a 2nd option at this point in his career but he's still got talent and he probably has more left than DeSean Jackson.
  • makoman likes this

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,747 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 08:04 PM

FWIW, Lamar posted a video of himself face timing OBJ with the hash tag Truzz. He knows he isn't going anywhere.

But this is the biggest sign yet Lamar isnt in the Ravens plans. But hey, maybe they are going to pair him up with a top rookie in the draft. That seems logical. OBJ with a rookie.

I dont get Ravens fans. Crying about a big name WR is an annual offseason right of passage in Baltimore. They go sign one and its not good enough. Nothing ever is. Maybe hes not what he once was. Maybe hes not close to what he once was. Maybe the move crashes and burns but this is the most talented WR theyve acquired since Boldin. A clear sign that '23 is a go for glory year.

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,747 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 08:08 PM

I'm probably crazy for this take but outside of a few things that had no business being public, I feel like his drama is mostly related to wanting the ball, which is a quality that any top receiver is going to have. Maybe he could have gone about it a bit better but we also mostly got a one-sided narrative about it. He's made some gutsy performances over the years too. He's probably a 2nd option at this point in his career but he's still got talent and he probably has more left than DeSean Jackson.

He went over the line at times but he also is competitive and wants to win. Can be a fine line. At 30, on what should be a good team, maybe he reels in the drama a bit.

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 08:15 PM

Bonus from what I saw. Another 3M in incentives.

https://mobile.twitt...194549000654848

Damn, that's wild. I wanted him and am excited to have him, but that seems like way too much for what he's done recently.

#39 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 08:25 PM

I said that weeks ago  

#40 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 09 April 2023 - 08:26 PM

Damn, that's wild. I wanted him and am excited to have him, but that seems like way too much for what he's done recently.

Agreed. Especially when he can't stay on the field. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=