#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

I'll have my recap up on ACCSportsNation.com soon, but a few things that stood out to me in this game: Free throw shooting, offensive rebounding, and turnovers. The Terps have been awful at the charity stripe all year, this game being no exception. When is the last time this team has shot well from the line because I honestly can't remember a recent year that we were at least average from the line. Allowing offensive rebounds also hurt us in this game. You can't keep giving the opposition second chance shots all the time, it's not going to work. Turnovers, again, were a factor for us. Pe'Shon seems to get way too spastic with the ball, and throws it wildly into the opposition's hands. That has to stop.

Overall, this was a pretty bad effort by this team. Stoglin was great in the 1st half, but was ice cold in the 2nd. Mosley had no impact whatsoever, and neither did Len. Faust really sucked in this game, and I hate to use such strong language, but he has to be smarter with the ball, and he needs to shoot better from the line. If Padgett can't hit free throws, that's more understandable than a guard missing free throws. If this team can beat Temple this Saturday it should help us get back on our feet going into the Duke game. If you're a late riser like me, set your alarms for that game. It's an 11:00 AM ET start. Again, look for my recap of the game either late tonight or early tomorrow morning. I'll post the link here when it's up.
@BSLZackKiesel

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,676 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

I'll have my recap up on ACCSportsNation.com soon, but a few things that stood out to me in this game: Free throw shooting, offensive rebounding, and turnovers. The Terps have been awful at the charity stripe all year, this game being no exception. When is the last time this team has shot well from the line because I honestly can't remember a recent year that we were at least average from the line. Allowing offensive rebounds also hurt us in this game. You can't keep giving the opposition second chance shots all the time, it's not going to work. Turnovers, again, were a factor for us. Pe'Shon seems to get way too spastic with the ball, and throws it wildly into the opposition's hands. That has to stop.

Overall, this was a pretty bad effort by this team. Stoglin was great in the 1st half, but was ice cold in the 2nd. Mosley had no impact whatsoever, and neither did Len. Faust really sucked in this game, and I hate to use such strong language, but he has to be smarter with the ball, and he needs to shoot better from the line. If Padgett can't hit free throws, that's more understandable than a guard missing free throws. If this team can beat Temple this Saturday it should help us get back on our feet going into the Duke game. If you're a late riser like me, set your alarms for that game. It's an 11:00 AM ET start. Again, look for my recap of the game either late tonight or early tomorrow morning. I'll post the link here when it's up.

Disagree about Faust. He showed some of his offensive potential down the stretch. Do agree his FT shooting has to improve. I imagine his shooting as a whole will improve going into next year, as he will be stronger, and more experienced. Right now, I just want to see him be aggressive and look to score. Post up more, use his size. Work on his intermediate game.

Totally agree about the FT shooting, and rebounding. MD's bigs were overwhelmed.

I'll give Mosley a pass, since it was clear he was hobbled with a bad ankle. He should not have been on the court as much as he was.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

The good: Stoglin, the first half defense
The bad: Everything else

Seriously, it was Stoglin and nobody else. They played very solid team defense for the first 25 minutes or so, but FSU went on that run and really started scoring in the second half.

There was just nobody but Stoglin who looked even marginally competent on the offensive end, at least not until after the big FSU run that effectively put the game out of reach. Aside from that run we competed, but that run just completely illuminated the fatal flaw of this team: there is only one good offensive player on the team and if that guy has a small lull the team can go on some awful offensive stretches.

As far as Faust goes, I agree completely with 2110. He had his worst game as a Terp, IMO, at least that I've been able to watch. He shouldn't have played in the second half. He made a few nice plays after the big FSU run, with the offensive rebound after the missed FT and the nice pop and shoot on the fast break, but they were irrelevant to the outcome of the game and FSU wasn't playing the same intensity of defense at that point, because they didn't need to.

Mosley was terrible, but as has been mentioned was injured, so it's hard to entirely blame him. But he was on the floor, so I'm going to go ahead and do so. Len was invisible (although Weiss played well on defense filling in for him). Padgett and Pankey both played hard, but FSU does a good job on the glass and offensive put-backs are the biggest part of both their offensive contributions.

Even when Stoglin plays like Superman - and he did last night - the team will need somebody to step up consistently and be a second scoring option. Or at least have one of the group of inconsistent players do it each game. But last night nobody but Stoglin could get anything done offensively. Stoglin was playing so well that we were able to hang with FSU almost the entire game, but that 5 minute stretch where Stoglin didn't score, well, that's when FSU iced the game with that devastating 21-3 run right after MD took the lead.

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,275 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

Here's my recap from ACCSportsNation.com: http://accsportsnati... ... les-84-70/
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=