Photo

Balt Sun: The Orioles’ last World Series title was 40 seasons ago. Fans hope rebuilt team is close to ending that drought.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,711 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 07:15 AM

Balt Sun: The Orioles’ last World Series title was 40 seasons ago. Fans hope rebuilt team is close to ending that drought.

#2 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 07:51 AM

I'd be happy just to make it.  I was born in '81.  Obviously don't remember the 1983 WS.  The primary sports teams I follow are the O's, Vikings, and MD basketball (and football to a lesser extent).  And Fulham soccer, but that's a relatively recent obsession :)

Never seen the O's in a WS, let alone win one.

Never seen the Vikings in a Super Bowl, let alone win one.

I did get to see MD basketball have their one shining moment over 20 years ago.

MD football, well, they're just not likely to be a title contender.

So I'd just love to see my team be part of the show for once.

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

I've seen 4 of the 6 they've been in. I have no hopes I'll see another one before my time is up. Certainly not this year for sure.

#4 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:39 PM

I remember 1983 very well. No one, and I mean NO ONE thought it'd be 40 years and counting until the next Series.

• JStruds likes this

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:19 AM

It’ll be another 40 if John doesn’t sell the team. Such a doomed franchise. So jealous of all the fans before us who got to see our beloved team at the top of the sport.
  • BSLMikeLowe and NewMarketSean like this

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:38 AM

I don't expect this team to win a WS in my lifetime. It'll be swell for sure, but it's not part of my expectations as a fan. 2014 pretty much burned that away.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,711 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:25 AM

It’ll be another 40 if John doesn’t sell the team. Such a doomed franchise. So jealous of all the fans before us who got to see our beloved team at the top of the sport.

With or without him selling; I think the O's get to multiple WS before the decade ends.

• BobPhelan likes this

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:17 AM

With or without him selling; I think the O's get to multiple WS before the decade ends.

I'll have what you're having Stoner!  Happy Friday!

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:29 PM

Maybe over optimistic, but with the glut of young talent scratching at the MLB door, not out of the realm of possibility.

BTW, I am one of the lucky ones who remember the glory days. My first hero (besides Brooks) was #4 Diamond Jim Gentile.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,277 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:53 PM

Still remember being there for Game 1 of the '83 WS.

While the Colts were still several months from sneaking out of town, if you told me then that Baltimore would celebrate two Super Bowls over the next 40 years without so much as a single WS appearance, I'd have said you needed your head examined.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:59 PM

I hope this doesn't come off as insulting, because I'm not trying to insult you. But I am dumbfounded by your child-like ability to remain ever hopeful. Keep it up :) 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#12 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 March 2023 - 05:20 PM

The good news - I have seen every single WS game the O's have ever played in.

The bad news - I have seen every single WS game the O's have ever played in.....making me kinda old.

• JStruds likes this

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,285 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 06:12 PM

I'll have what you're having Stoner! Happy Friday!

Stoner being Stoner. A bit too far, but its not unrealistic.

#14 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 06:20 PM

The good news - I have seen every single WS game the O's have ever played in.

The bad news - I have seen every single WS game the O's have ever played in.....making me kinda old.

Well, with age comes some wonderful memories and I'm sure you have a ton of them.  Did you actually go to any World Series games? 

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 April 2023 - 07:50 AM

Well, with age comes some wonderful memories and I'm sure you have a ton of them.  Did you actually go to any World Series games? 

I was at the winning game in the 1970 WS game against the Reds. My parents were at the winning game in the 1966 WS.

#16 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:41 AM

I was at the winning game in the 1970 WS game against the Reds. My parents were at the winning game in the 1966 WS.

Wow...that must have been an amazing feeling watching them win it all in 1970.  Aren't too many people who can say that.

#17 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 April 2023 - 11:14 AM

Wow...that must have been an amazing feeling watching them win it all in 1970.  Aren't too many people who can say that.

I think I have told this story on here before but life works in really funny ways. Two very odd things happened in regards to that game.

1. When the O's made it to the WS, I drove down to Memorial Stadium and got 3 tickets to game 4. My brother, myself, and a buddy were going to go. As the series started my buddy told me he couldn't go to the game as it was during a school day and his mom wouldn't let him skip school.  Totally insane but whatever. So I drove back to the ticket office and swapped our tickets to game 4 for game 5. Well then the O's won the first three and I am sweating bullets we are going to sweep and we'll miss out. During game 4 the piped the game over the school PA system so everybody could listen. So I am sitting in class and actively rooting against the O's. Classmates knew I was a rabid O's fan and couldn't figure out what the heck I was doing till a buddy told everybody I had tickets for game 5. Thankfully the O's lost game 4 so we got to see the winner at Game 5.

2. Many years later I was talking to our environmental attorney at work in Idaho, also a very good friend. Discussing the upcoming baseball season and he asked me how the O's might do that year. I didn't know he had been an Os fan till then. Long story short we started talking about O's of years past and it turned out that he had been at Game 5 of that same WS! This was like in 1995 so 25 years later. Small world!! And we are still good friends, went to his wedding last summer.

• You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and jamesdean like this

#18 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 12:03 PM

I think I have told this story on here before but life works in really funny ways. Two very odd things happened in regards to that game.

1. When the O's made it to the WS, I drove down to Memorial Stadium and got 3 tickets to game 4. My brother, myself, and a buddy were going to go. As the series started my buddy told me he couldn't go to the game as it was during a school day and his mom wouldn't let him skip school.  Totally insane but whatever. So I drove back to the ticket office and swapped our tickets to game 4 for game 5. Well then the O's won the first three and I am sweating bullets we are going to sweep and we'll miss out. During game 4 the piped the game over the school PA system so everybody could listen. So I am sitting in class and actively rooting against the O's. Classmates knew I was a rabid O's fan and couldn't figure out what the heck I was doing till a buddy told everybody I had tickets for game 5. Thankfully the O's lost game 4 so we got to see the winner at Game 5.

2. Many years later I was talking to our environmental attorney at work in Idaho, also a very good friend. Discussing the upcoming baseball season and he asked me how the O's might do that year. I didn't know he had been an Os fan till then. Long story short we started talking about O's of years past and it turned out that he had been at Game 5 of that same WS! This was like in 1995 so 25 years later. Small world!! And we are still good friends, went to his wedding last summer.

Cool story.  I bet that was one of the rare, if not the only time, you ever rooted against the Orioles that they'd lose Game 4.  Where were you sitting at the game?  I was wondering if you were close to where Frank hit his homer in the 1st inning.  I can relate to loving the Orioles as a young kid.  I was obsessed with baseball and they were all my heroes.  Some of my greatest memories of childhood revolve around the Orioles and Colts.  Kind of sad that I lost that loving feeling for baseball a long time ago but I do wish every kid could feel what we did growing up. 

#19 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 April 2023 - 12:54 PM

I was in the LF stands about halfway up.

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 02:58 PM

I was in the LF stands about halfway up.

The homerun landed below you then.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=