• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 07:16 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles roundtable: Predicting breakout players, team record and more for 2023 season

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:15 AM

I want to be more positive, but I'm not feeling it at the moment so I'll say 77-85

#23 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:24 AM

From Adley's arrival on May 21st through the end of the year, we played at an 89 win pace. It's not a coincidence that in the wake of Rutschman's promotion that ERA improved before falling off a bit in September. He was a significantly better pitch framer than Chirinos and it showed.

While we didn't make any big splashes in free agency, we solidified and improved our floor by getting better at backup C, better at 2B (albeit begrudgingly) and evened out the rotation with Gibson and Irvin. With a full year of Adley and Henderson, along with a solid core, the ingredients are there to be a 90 win team. 

Something that we haven't really mentioned is how Hyde will manage now that it's winning time. Will he effectively find at bats for Urias and Stowers? Will he avoid emptying the bench every Sunday afternoon? Hyde striking the right balance, not burying guys or not sticking with guys too long could be where we find an extra couple of wins.

I think our floor is .500 and our ceiling is 92-70. Either way, baseball is back....LFG.

• Hooded Viper likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#24 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:25 AM

From Adley's arrival on May 21st through the end of the year, we played at an 89 win pace. It's not a coincidence that in the wake of Rutschman's promotion that ERA improved before falling off a bit in September. He was a significantly better pitch framer than Chirinos and it showed.

While we didn't make any big splashes in free agency, we solidified and improved our floor by getting better at backup C, better at 2B (albeit begrudgingly) and evened out the rotation with Gibson and Irvin. With a full year of Adley and Henderson, along with a solid core, the ingredients are there to be a 90 win team. 

Something that we haven't really mentioned is how Hyde will manage now that it's winning time. Will he effectively find at bats for Urias and Stowers? Will he avoid emptying the bench every Sunday afternoon? Hyde striking the right balance, not burying guys or not sticking with guys too long could be where we find an extra couple of wins.

I think our floor is .500 and our ceiling is 92-70. Either way, baseball is back....LFG.

Apparently McCann is hurt and Bemboom is the backup according to the OD roster

#25 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 March 2023 - 10:24 AM

Apparently McCann is hurt and Bemboom is the backup according to the OD roster

Indeed but that's temporary. Hopefully they caught the oblique early enough.

Still, better to start the year with Rutschman and Bemboom vs Chirinos and Bemboom. 

• DuffMan likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#26 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 01:35 PM

80 wins. Not enough starting pitching for me to go beyond that. 

#27 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

84-78, missing the wild card by less than 3 games.

Elias does nothing to build for now at the deadline, and we're left wondering what could have been had he actually tried to have an offseason.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#28 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 04:04 PM

86-76. Last WC.

• JStruds likes this

#29 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 07:22 PM

86-76. Last WC.

I reserve the right to knock that down to .500 at best if they keep trotting Santander out to LF. 

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 07:31 PM

I reserve the right to knock that down to .500 at best if they keep trotting Santander out to LF.

Think he will mostly play RF but unfortunately Stowers not being able to beat him out defensively in ST in concerning

#31 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:03 PM

Think he will mostly play RF but unfortunately Stowers not being able to beat him out defensively in ST in concerning

Is this just based on today's lineup? Tony's a better hitter than Stowers right now and Gunnar was occupying the DH spot but if there was some declarative statement that the lineups will be Tony OF/Stowers DH instead of vice versa most of the time I missed it.  

she/her

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:05 PM

Is this just based on today's lineup? Tony's a better hitter than Stowers right now and Gunnar was occupying the DH spot but if there was some declarative statement that the lineups will be Tony OF/Stowers DH instead of vice versa most of the time I missed it.

I think he's saying when Santander plays the outfield, it'll usually be RF. He's only in LF today because that's a much less demanding position in Fenway than RF.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:09 PM

Was hesitant to play Stowers in the OF last year. Noticed Stowers was DHing more than his fair share in ST as well when he played. Just a hunch that AS is gonna by far have more starts in the OF than DH. It sounded like Stowers barely made the team too if you read tea leaves.

#34 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:11 PM

For whatever reason I think Stowers is going to end up that guy who we feel never got a real chance. For whatever reason, the organization doesn't seem as high on him as the fans do. Maybe he's unfortunately overshadowed by the plethora of quality prospects.

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:15 PM

For whatever reason I think Stowers is going to end up that guy who we feel never got a real chance. For whatever reason, the organization doesn't seem as high on him as the fans do. Maybe he's unfortunately overshadowed by the plethora of quality prospects.

He's the next Mike Yastrzemski. Just watch.

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:24 PM

Mike Yastrzemski was organizational filler until he broke out with the Giants. Nobody saw it coming. Stowers has been a top 10 prospect in our loaded system, the team isn’t giving up on him.

#37 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:25 PM

He had way more minor league success than young Yaz, but yeah, for whatever reason it doesn't seem like they are in a rush to give him a real chance.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:26 PM

Fully expect Stowers to get 450+ abs.

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:27 PM

Mike Yastrzemski was organizational filler until he broke out with the Giants. Nobody saw it coming. Stowers has been a top 10 prospect in our loaded system, the team isn’t giving up on him.

I'm not saying it'll be an exact parallel, Stowers did crack the big leagues at a much younger age. But with Yaz, maybe someone in the organization should have been able to see it coming? At least few if any of those people are still around.

#40 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:32 PM

Was hesitant to play Stowers in the OF last year. Noticed Stowers was DHing more than his fair share in ST as well when he played. Just a hunch that AS is gonna by far have more starts in the OF than DH. It sounded like Stowers barely made the team too if you read tea leaves.

According to baseball reference Stowers played 1 game at DH this spring. 9 left 8 right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=