Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles CEO John Angelos again whiffs on self-imposed deadline to share club’s finances

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:26 AM

The comments to 105.7 were horrible. 
Such an avoidable unforced error. 

• glenn__davis likes this

#42 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:34 AM

What's stopping you from having no team at all right now?  You have free will :)

I don't have a team right now. I'm biding my time, waiting for my new team. The sooner the better. But I don't have any say in the matter, so I don't get too upset about it.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#43 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:42 AM

But whenever I post that, I get pushback from those who would rather have a perennial cellar dweller embarrassment, than no team at all. 

Some people like baseball.

• BobPhelan likes this

#44 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:17 AM

The comments to 105.7 were horrible.
Such an avoidable unforced error.

And La Confora becoming his personal damage control pitch man is just as pathetic.

Dude sits there all year long making snide remarks about DeCosta and now Brown and Bisciotti because they don't spend enough... yet becomes John Angelos' personal radio interviewer after half a decade of zero effort to even win games, along with what's now a bottom of the barrel payroll for two years...

Lost all of his "NFL Insider" contacts and doesn't get scoops from the Ravens, so he adapts to become John Angelos' administrative assistant. Gotta survive somehow I guess...
  • PrimeTime likes this

#45 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:34 AM

Some people like baseball.

I suppose the implication here is that I don't like baseball.

#46 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:45 AM

Do we have the audio link?  Maybe I'm just #old, I didn't spend a lot of time looking, but didn't see it first couple of searches.

#47 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

Do we have the audio link?  Maybe I'm just #old, I didn't spend a lot of time looking, but didn't see it first couple of searches.

If you go to their Audacy site you should be able to see yesterday's show from 2 to 6 pm.  Should also see a drop-down with "chapters" and can skip to 5:00 pm and again at like 5:30ish when they discuss it afterwards.  I think it might go away at 2 pm when today's show starts, so you have an hour.

Unless of course I'm wrong...

#48 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:53 AM

Actually, on a desktop browser the interview part is clipped at near the top of this page:

https://www.audacy.c...ora-ken-weinman

#49 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 11:55 AM

Enjoy how Angelos turns the question of showing the books in to "Is the ownership of the Baltimore Sun going to show us their profit? I dunno"...

La Confora responds to his buddy with a snarky "Doubtful"...

#50 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 12:01 PM

Instead Of Showing Financials As Promised, Orioles CEO John Angelos Offers Three Minutes Of Deranged Horse Shit | Defector

• DuffMan and makoman like this

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 March 2023 - 12:23 PM

Q: Do you still intend to open up the books, and if so when?

JA: “That’s an interesting concept and I saw my good friends from the Baltimore Sun wanted to weigh in on that today. You know, when the hedge fund that owns the Baltimore Sun based in New York City (audible chuckle from JLC) wants to open their books, I guess we’ll pay to have a look at that.”

“It’s difficult to understand what that fascination is. I will say this, there’s a lot of teams in the Baltimore Washington Metropolitan area that are for sale. We might be the only one that’s not (another audible chuckle from JLC, almost sounded sexual TBH) and I might be the only control person and managing partner that is a Maryland resident, paid taxes in Baltimore City and in the state of Maryland and has spent every day of his life living inside the city. Not just in the state, not just in the metro area, but in the city. So, I don’t know that I need to be answering those kinds of questions from The Sun. They’re not even owned by anyone in Baltimore or Maryland.”

“I think it’s about time people from Baltimore supported people of Baltimore. And I don’t know how really effectively the Baltimore Sun speaks for the people of Baltimore. They certainly don’t speak for me…”

“I’m as transparent as transparent gets. You can’t measure that just by this one issue, it’s just really silly stuff and I don’t see them asking the Nationals, or the Ravens or any of the other teams to open their books.”

JLC: So will you still show the books at all or is this it?

JA: “Yeah I don’t think a lot of companies show how the sausage is made”

“We should be judged on our win loss record” lmao, what?

“We should be judged on the impact to our community”… bunch of mindless drivel of everything the O’s have done blah blah blah.

“We should be judged based on how much we drive all of our profits back into the product on the field. And I think this group of Mike Elias, Brandon Hyde and this partnership group of all local people have done that. So I think that’s how you’re measured. Not by silly one dimensional numbers.” Unfreakingreal. How pathetic. Easily the most disingenuous person I’ve ever heard.

He then compared our situation to the Pittsburgh Pirates vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers. He said the Pirates can’t ever outspend the Steelers because the rules don’t allow for it in football. And that isn’t our system in baseball and we have to acknowledge it.

“You gotta go with the system you’re in and it’s tougher to be in the baseball system than the football system and that should be talked about more.”

“I think results should be talked about more than speculation on the future.”

JLC: Do you want to retain Adley and Gunnar?

JA: “Absolutely. I mean you’d want to have that Brooks Robsinson, Cal Ripken type of phenomenon, I mean what team wouldn’t. The system makes it tough but it doesn’t make it impossible. That’s why you see so many superstar players leaving the places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Tampa and others and ending up in Yankees and Dodgers uniforms.”

So as I’ve been saying. The Baltimore A’s/Pirates. I mean I honestly don’t see how you guys can listen to that and come to any other conclusion.

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 March 2023 - 12:32 PM

Seriously all of this sounds like the dude was having a good time watching the O’s at Fenway and saw the Sun article and was irked. So he did a few more lines, straight up Kendall style from Succession, and’s like F it, I’m gonna give my lapdog JLC a call and let it rip. You couldn’t even make up something this bad before it happened. Just awful, all of it. On Opening Day. Not selling is a state of emergency, straight up. This blows.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 March 2023 - 12:35 PM

It is interesting to me that JA gives an interview to the Inside Access crew.  Did he search out the worst media people not named Stan Charles?

@mikeghg

#54 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 March 2023 - 12:36 PM

Isn’t JLC from Baltimore?

Instant legend if he goes the other direction and asks a real question:

“I’m from Baltimore, and I understand not wanting to open the books. But I guess what fans are curious about is the National TV revenue, the MLB.TV revenue, the $2.12 per month for every subscriber to MASN, which are millions of people, and the other shared revenue from miscellaneous league wide ventures, what can they expect from a payroll perspective given the strong young core, and the fact that the teams you’re comparing us to (Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Tampa) don’t win World Series championships?”

Can’t even imagine what JA’s response to a real question like that would be. He’d probably start with, show me your birth certificate, prove you’re from Baltimore. What a piece of crap.

#55 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 31 March 2023 - 02:01 PM

This bugs the crap out of me....."Absolutely. I mean you’d want to have that Brooks Robsinson, Cal Ripken type of phenomenon, I mean what team wouldn’t. The system makes it tough but it doesn’t make it impossible. That’s why you see so many superstar players leaving the places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Tampa and others and ending up in Yankees and Dodgers uniforms."

I guess Angelos has never heard of Wander Franco or Jose Ramirez or Andres Giminez or Ke'Bryan Hayes.

The only system the constrains the Orioles is what the Angelos family wants to spend. Granted, spending money doesn't necessarily equate to world series titles but it certainly gives you a very good shot at the postseason. Of the top 10 payrolls in baseball, 8 of them made the postseason last year. So investing money in ball players makes you a better team, generally speaking.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 March 2023 - 02:03 PM

“I’m as transparent as transparent gets. You can’t measure that just by this one issue, it’s just really silly stuff and I don’t see them asking the Nationals, or the Ravens or any of the other teams to open their books.”

Gee, maybe that's because the owners of those teams never straight up told the media (twice) that they'd open up their books in the first place? And this whole ridiculous thing started with a simple/valid question about the lease situation that set him off on a rant where he couldn't control what his mouth spewed. Thank goodness this clown flunked the bar exam....would anyone really want him representing them in a courtroom?

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this

#57 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 March 2023 - 03:14 PM

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

she/her

#58 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:52 PM

Is this some sort of distraction he's setting up, to keep everyone from focusing on something else that's going on? 

He offers to open his books, and gives a 7 day window that he's going to do it in. Then, when asked why he didn't show the books, he gets all defensive. Then he inexplicably offers to do it again. And when asked about it, he wonders out loud why everyone is so fixated on the team's finances.

#59 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:55 PM

Is this some sort of distraction he's setting up, to keep everyone from focusing on something else that's going on? 

He offers to open his books, and gives a 7 day window that he's going to do it in. Then, when asked why he didn't show the books, he gets all defensive. Then he inexplicably offers to do it again. And when asked about it, he wonders out loud why everyone is so fixated on the team's finances.

I think he's just an imbecile.

• BobPhelan, weird-O and makoman like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#60 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:56 PM

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

• weird-O likes this

she/her

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=