Photo

Lamar What Happens Now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
323 replies to this topic

Poll: Lamar poll His fate (31 member(s) have cast votes)

What will happen with Lamar

1. Traded (7 votes [22.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

2. Signs an offer sheet and Ravens let him go for two 1s (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Signs offer sheet and Ravens match (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Signs an extension with Ravens (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

5. Plays on the Tag (12 votes [38.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.71%

6. Sits out '23 (5 votes [16.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

Vote

#281 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 09:56 AM

I'm trying not to think about that although I know it's a possibility. I'd rather bring in Wentz or Bridgewater over seeing 17 games of Huntley.

I think everybody would rather that happen, but the question is at what cost? If Lamar is gonna hold out, then it's worth the squeeze. If it's just as the backup, I'd rather spend cap space elsewhere. Tough choice given the uncertainty. In general, I think Huntley is about what you can expect for a backup. Guys like Wentz and Bridgewater probably go where there is a clearer path to start, but again Lamar's questions maybe mean that's here.

#282 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 April 2023 - 09:56 AM

I'm trying not to think about that although I know it's a possibility. I'd rather bring in Wentz or Bridgewater over seeing 17 games of Huntley. 

On paper you're right but if for some reason Jackson decides to hold out or whatever, is it really worth dropping 7-8 mill or more on one of those guys to be a 9 win team at best? 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#283 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 10:05 AM

On paper you're right but if for some reason Jackson decides to hold out or whatever, is it really worth dropping 7-8 mill or more on one of those guys to be a 9 win team at best? 

While there's no guarantee, 9 wins could squeeze you into playoffs. 5 wins won't. 

#284 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 April 2023 - 10:47 AM

I fail to see why the Raven's wouldn't draft a QB. Now if there isn't one they like available down at 22 ok I get that. But not drafting a QB because you don't want to further damage your future with LJ is dumb. Lets say he does sign the tag and plays this year. Right back in the same hole a year from now.

1. LJ wants out.

2. Ravens aren't going to pay him the nusto contract.

3. So lets say LJ has a monster year. Do the Ravens then pay him whatever he asks or is it too much? His contract demands might be once again too high for anybody to stomach and you are right back in the same place.

4. LJ has a not so monster year or worse gets hurt again. So even if he lowers his contract demands do you really want him?

The Ravens can tell LJ look you are still our guy but we also have a team to think about and need to plan for the future if you aren't in it. Draft a QB. If that upsets LJ then here's what he can do about it. Play great and your value will be there whether its with the Ravens or some other team.

• jamesdean and mdrunning like this

#285 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 April 2023 - 11:13 AM

While there's no guarantee, 9 wins could squeeze you into playoffs. 5 wins won't. 

If we don't have Jackson in the fold, I'd rather bottom out and get a top 5-7 pick as opposed to make the playoffs as a 7 seed with little to no chance of a winning a title.

• cprenegade likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#286 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 11:38 AM

Yeah, it's absolutely worth doing in that case. Unless you think there isn't much difference between a veteran backup and Huntley.

If you know or strongly suspect a Jackson holdout, though, I'd have wanted to pursue a better solution sooner.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#287 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 11:40 AM

If we don't have Jackson in the fold, I'd rather bottom out and get a top 5-7 pick as opposed to make the playoffs as a 7 seed with little to no chance of a winning a title.

Hard pass on that for me. I think draft position is overrated and I'd happily take a competitive season over 10-12 spots of draft position. If we're sitting at 4-9 or so mething, then I get preferring losses the rest of the way, but not before the season begins.
  • You Play to Win the Game and bmore_ken like this

#288 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 02:36 PM

Ravens tried to get Baker and he didnt sign here because he said he wanted to compete for starting gig. I think they made it clear to him Lamar was still in their plans. So why wouldnt they still be trying to upgrade on Huntley?

#289 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 05:23 PM

I think Baker Mayfield heard the same media bites we all hear.  The Ravens are working on a long term contract with Lamar, and even if they don't get it, they still have him on the tag this year.  He wasn't likely to start for the Ravens this year unless Lamar goes down again with an injury or the landscape for someone making him an offer changes drastically after the draft. 

Plus Baker Mayfield is trying to restart his career.  I don't think it was a particularly appetizing thought to try and do that with the Raven's WR group.  At least with Tampa he is in the mix to start and he should at least have a legit #1 to throw to if he does get the start.  

#290 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 05:55 PM

Hard pass on that for me. I think draft position is overrated and I'd happily take a competitive season over 10-12 spots of draft position. If we're sitting at 4-9 or so mething, then I get preferring losses the rest of the way, but not before the season begins.

I generally agree, and the Ravens have clearly never been on board with tanking. It doesn't even make sense under the current circumstances, and they haven't been in a position to tank this offseason anyway.

But in the context of drafting your next franchise QB? Not just a 4-year stop gap but an actual difference maker? I wouldn't say draft position is overrated.

And frankly, a "competitive season" that ends the way last season did isn't doing much for me anyway.

#291 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 April 2023 - 10:55 PM

I should've structured my post more in the past tense, as any team that wanted to make a play for Jackson would've done it in the initial wave of free agency. At this point, the money is mostly spent and I don't think any team is going to move heaven and earth to try to accommodate a Lamar Jackson contract; much less a Lamar Jackson contract that the Ravens wouldn't match.

For those of us that were saying the trade demand for Lamar wasn't going to be there turned out to be right. Not only was list of teams with the necessary resources fairly short from jump street but the reported/rumored/alleged contract demands were prohibitive and despite what some of the numbers say, I think that personnel people around the league don't necessarily believe in Lamar Jackson. Whether it's injury concerns, playing style, stubbornness, collusion or whatever, even what I thought was going to be tepid interest in Jackson turned out to be even worse.

Even at the beginning of FA there were only 2 teams that could write an unmatchable offer: the Bears and the Falcons. The Bears clearly want to stick with Fields, which is understandable. The Falcons probably should have been in the mix but I'm guessing the owner didnt want to break ranks with guaranteed deals. The Ravens would have been able to match anything from any of the other QB-needy teams.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#292 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 22 April 2023 - 11:06 PM

Will Hou have the money to make it tough for us if they pass on QB at 2 and 11?

#293 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 12:09 AM

The Ravens could match their best without even restructuring anyone. Their cap situation isn't very good.

#294 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 12:11 AM

I thought Hou had money. Maybe they used a lot in FA

#295 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 06:17 AM

I thought Hou had money. Maybe they used a lot in FA

They have $18 mil and not many places to gain more. If they don't take a QB at 2 they will hope one is there at 12.

#296 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 07:10 AM

There really isn't anyone with enough current cap space to make an offer the Ravens can't match. Maybe someone can create enough via restructures, but Ravens still have some tricks they can pull, too.

At this point would think it'll take an offer the Ravens won't match, in terms of guarantees, for him to leave on an offer sheet.

#297 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 08:05 AM

There really isn't anyone with enough current cap space to make an offer the Ravens can't match. Maybe someone can create enough via restructures, but Ravens still have some tricks they can pull, too.

At this point would think it'll take an offer the Ravens won't match, in terms of guarantees, for him to leave on an offer sheet.

Agreed. Especially after the draft. Ravens arent gonna let him go without a fight for just '24 and '25 picks. Maybe they consider it if it was this year and they knew where the picks would be. For example if it had been Hou or Ind who signed him to an offer sheet they would have known they had a Top 5 pick coming back. Maybe that wouldve been enough to let him go without a fight. Picks that are 1 and 2 years away. No way. After Thur I think we can elimimate the Ravens let him walk after an offer sheet option of this poll.

#298 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 10:26 AM

I don't see how it's possible that Houston doesn't take a quarterback at number two

#299 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 01:04 PM

I think they're matching no matter what post draft, guaranteed money be damned. They aren't going to let Lamar walk for a 2024 and 2025 pick, on a team that is likely to pick late because Lamar is playing for them.

Post draft signings should have more compensation attached. The value of the picks diminishes enormously if you have to wait a year.

#300 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 03:15 PM

I don't see how it's possible that Houston doesn't take a quarterback at number two

I am starting to believe they are going to go Carter or Anderson at 2. They may be thinking Levis or Richardson makes it to them at 11. And if not, a guy like Hooker or McKee could be a decent option in the 2nd or 3rd(McKee).

I think it's fair to say Anderson and Carter are better prospects at their positions, than Stroud, Richardson or Levis are at their position.

If they believe Carter is their next game wrecker in the middle of the line ala JJ Watt. Or that Anderson can be the next top pass rushing edge that is good for 12+ sacks a season, I can see them taking either over a QB not named Young.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=