Photo

Balt Sun: Birdland Caravan: Orioles GM Mike Elias on free agents, infield prospects, Grayson Rodriguez and more

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:49 PM

Here is the thing. If you were the best player on your high school team, you pitched, and played Centerfield. If you can also field ground balls, you played SS. Sure, catchers are the exception. No one coming to the bigs was a 2nd base phenom in high school. Most guys transitioned there after they moved up a level to college or low A and a bigger guy with a stronger arm took over at SS or 3B, your 88mph fastball wasn't going to cut it anymore on the mound, and so you move over to 2B. 

Height has nothing to do with it. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#62 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:52 PM

Ill leave it at he will seemingly have ample opportunity this year. I mean its god awful Adam Frazier currently standing in his way.

BTW in a lot of ways I hope Im wrong. I want Westburg to get a look in Baltimore and its unlikely to be at SS or 3b unless a few guys in front of him go down.

Yeah, on the current roster there’s not really room on the left. Hopefully he forces his way up and if he’s not good enough it probably won’t take long to see.

#63 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:54 PM

Yet we havent seen an influx of huge physical 2b. These guys are talented. Only so many SS and 3b positions on a big league team. Get that 6'2, 6'3 230 lb original SS to 2b already. If its the easy, obvious move why isnt it a regular thing

I don't think 230 is a regular thing at SS either.

I'm guessing the median 2B has gotten bigger over time, but it's also the best possible position to stick most guys that can hit but are around my height or shorter. I'm 5'8 for reference.

#64 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,560 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 February 2023 - 05:03 PM

Didn't Vavra have like one bad game at 2B, and then it was like, "well he can't play there ever again."

A little short sighted I think. Regardless. They should have better options to play the position everyday.

I think with him and Stowers it was more of a speed of the game thing, getting used to big league stadiums, etc. Hard to have patience with that in the heat of competitive baseball.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#65 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 February 2023 - 05:51 PM

I'm guessing the median 2B has gotten bigger over time, but it's also the best possible position to stick most guys that can hit but are around my height or shorter. I'm 5'8 for reference.

If I'm not mistaken he was the one pounding his fist on the table that they should not draft Termarr Johnson because at 5'7" he was too small to play 2B. Maybe we should rename it the Goldilocks position.

• mweb08 likes this

#66 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 06:20 PM

If I'm not mistaken he was the one pounding his fist on the table that they should not draft Termarr Johnson because at 5'7" he was too small to play 2B. Maybe we should rename it the Goldilocks position.

Lol, yes I forgot about that!

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 06:30 PM

Yeah goldilocks. Those 6 inches where most adult males fit in height. GTFO with all this BS around here. This place is unbearable anymore.

#68 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 06:47 PM

Btw the problem with the midget Johnson is he is essentially locked into 2b because of his issues. Not that 2b was too small for him. Get your facts straight.

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:05 PM

Lol, yes I forgot about that!

And since you love this haha gotcha crap Ill point out that baseball reference and milb.com both have Johnson listed at 5'7. A point you and slide( smart to hop on that side) wanted to argue with me 7 months ago when I said specifically he was 5'7. All the jokes in that thread and all the combativeness just because thats mweb first and foremost. Secondly, because you cant figure out for yourself that he is not 5'9-5'11 like he tells the people at showcases who dont get out a tapemeasure and call him on it.

#70 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:12 PM

Yeah goldilocks. Those 6 inches where most adult males fit in height. GTFO with all this BS around here. This place is unbearable anymore.

Lol
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#71 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:14 PM

And since you love this haha gotcha crap Ill point out that baseball reference and milb.com both have Johnson listed at 5'7. A point you and slide( smart to hop on that side) wanted to argue with me 7 months ago when I said specifically he was 5'7. All the jokes in that thread and all the combativeness just because thats mweb first and foremost. Secondly, because you cant figure out for yourself that he is not 5'9-5'11 like he tells the people at showcases who dont get out a tapemeasure and call him on it.

Ok congrats on the 5'7 listing. Some places still are listing him between 5'8 and 5'10 for whatever that's worth. Also, I don't know, maybe just admit that the goldilocks remark is a clever, funny joke from Mike. Maybe not though because you feel you've been piled up on although you may want to consider what led to that.

Sure, I was the combative one in the Termarr thread. Maybe I was to an extent as I haven't looked at that since that convo fizzled. Sure, I am the combative one now. Can't be you at all, right? You've been combative in this very thread, including this quoted post. I didn't say anything to you or about you which triggered you to talk about me crying in my wheaties. My response wasn't combative at all. Then you put yourself in a corner with this Westburg take and have lashed out at people that took it to task. Then I laughed at a good joke and here we are.

Also keep in mind that while I don't post much over in the Ravens section, I read a fair amount of it. So I doubt anyone approaches your combativeness in the present day. You're the driver of that in this forum and that one.

I'll grant you that I used to be more combative than I am now, probably much more in fact. I'm not proud of the level of combativeness within me then or now though while you seem to wear it with a badge of honor. Maybe think about the approach I believe you wanted to take when you came back here and that you did a good job with for a while and see if you can get back there. Or lash out at me and others some more if you prefer. Sorry if this is overstepping my bounds.

#72 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 February 2023 - 08:33 AM

What a fun way to wake up on a Saturday morning with some light reading.

News flash: When one poster argues a position (see what I did there) and literally every other poster disagrees with that, the one poster probably should either adjust his thinking or at least shut up and move on to other topics......lol...

#73 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,560 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 February 2023 - 09:58 AM

https://youtu.be/IHUG0KZaqoA
  • mweb08 likes this

#74 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 10:30 AM

I might get a beer from Elias today. Perhaps a bit more excited about Adley though.

#75 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,449 posts

Posted 04 February 2023 - 11:12 AM

When a certain poster says this place is unbearable anymore.... it's been a good day.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=