Photo

Balt Sun: Birdland Caravan: Orioles GM Mike Elias on free agents, infield prospects, Grayson Rodriguez and more

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:55 PM

Look. Bottom line is Mateo played a GG caliber SS last year. Ortiz is supposed to be a wicked SS. Henderson a good glove at 3b. Urias won a GG at 3b too These guys are all ahead of Westburg at SS and 3b. So the spot is there at 2b if the Os want to play him there. If they are comfortable with him there. They chose to sign Frazier instead. Vavra aint blocking him thats for sure. Its there for the taking at any point in '23 if he can really play that position adequately enough.

#42 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 February 2023 - 03:44 PM

With respect you all thought Vavra would be fine at 2b. If Westburg is fine at 2b like Vavra is fine at 2b then he shouldnt play 2b.

Fair, speaking for myself I didn't realize how much of a liability his arm was. I still think Vavra could be "fine" there but Westburg at least has a strong accurate arm. More in the Urias camp than Vavra camp IMO at that position.

• makoman likes this

#43 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:21 PM

Didn't Vavra have like one bad game at 2B, and then it was like, "well he can't play there ever again."

A little short sighted I think. Regardless. They should have better options to play the position everyday. 

• makoman likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:23 PM

You can, as in its possible, have big 2b but that transition from the left side to right side for someone 6'3 I cant tell you how harder it is than someone 5'10 and more agile like Ortiz.

Quick someone tell me all the noteable 6'3 2b out there. Or non notebale ones. Hes a left side guy and when the Os never play him there Im not gonna hear well he couldve done it. There will have been a reason they never did it.

Lol.

If you think height is a factor for any player, then you don't know Elias and Mejdal's scouting mindset. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:25 PM

I imagine MIke Elias as a kid making the least exciting Christmas list ever but still being excited when the day arrived because he got everything he wanted.

Haha! Socks. Underwear, plain ones, not superhero ones. A toothbrush, non-electric. Best Christmas ever!

@BSLMikeRandall

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:25 PM

Lol.

If you think height is a factor for any player, then you don't know Elias and Mejdal's scouting mindset. 

No idea if they care about player height for 2B, so consider this off-topic.  But it does seem like they strongly prefer taller pitchers.

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:27 PM

I mean again Ill ask to list all the reg 2b who play at 6'3 or taller. Its just a factor. Its a freaking obvious factor at that position in MLB. There are some outliers but they are undeniably outliers. He played real inning there last year though and here we are with Frazier as the OD 2b so yeah. Prob not a great sign for him. I know I know. You all know how to run a team better than our GM. It was wasting money. Frazier sucks, etc ,etc.

We will see how many reps Westburg gets at 2b in Baltimore. Ill take less than 20 innings. Happily. Not just BMore btw should he be traded.

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:30 PM

I mean again Ill ask to list all the reg 2b who play at 6'3 or taller. Its just a factor. Its a freaking obvious factor at that position in MLB. There are some outliers but they are undeniably outliers. He played real inning there last year though and here we are with Frazier as the OD 2b so yeah. Prob not a great sign for him. I know I know. You all know how to run a team better than our GM. It was wasting money. Frazier sucks, etc ,etc.

We will see how many reps Westburg gets at 2b in Baltimore. Ill take less than 20 innings. Happily.

You'd have kept Cal at 3B! :)

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Remember when Cal was too tall and too big to play SS?

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

You'd have kept Cal at 3B! :)

Beat me by seconds!

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:32 PM

Is it not undeniable that SS has a longer track record of big players than 2b. Prove me wrong. Cal aint the only one. I mean the SS position has transitioned quite noticeably to bigger more physical guys at the position the last 25 -30 years. Not a good argument. You both are better.

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:34 PM

Cal was the only one at the time.
  • makoman likes this

#53 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:35 PM

Cal was like the only one in 1982 is the point.

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:37 PM

Is it not undeniable that SS has a longer track record of big players than 2b. Prove me wrong. Cal aint the only one. I mean the SS position has transitioned quite noticeably to bigger more physical guys at the position the last 25 -30 years. Not a good argument. You both are better.

Because of Cal.

#55 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:37 PM

No idea if they care about player height for 2B, so consider this off-topic.  But it does seem like they strongly prefer taller pitchers.

Maybe they have preferences if all other things are equal. But in Astroball they talk about their days in the Cardinals organization and how as new scouts they were afraid they'd be laughed out of the room by suggesting a player who didn't have prototypical measurables, even if they could play ball. Want to say Jed Lowrie was one of the guys they pitched, even though the rest of the room was in on guys with impressive "looks" and as impressive college hitting stats. Names are escaping me cause they ended up being that irrelevant. 

Long story short, they don't care what you look like if you can ball.

@BSLMikeRandall

#56 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:39 PM

I mean Gunnar isn 6'3 too . You could see the difference in how he played on the left side vs the right side in his SSS last year. Go back and watch the reps at 2b vs SS and 3b. He just was smoother and much more comfortable on the left side. Its a different ball game. The angles different. The turn different. Those that say definitively that you can play 2b if you play SS just dont really get it at a high level. That could be true for some guys but its not understanding the real differences in the positions.

#57 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:43 PM

Because of Cal.

Yet we havent seen an influx of huge physical 2b. These guys are talented. Only so many SS and 3b positions on a big league team. Get that 6'2, 6'3 230 lb original SS to 2b already. If its the easy, obvious move why isnt it a regular thing

#58 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:44 PM

I mean Gunnar isn 6'3 too . You could see the difference in how he played on the left side vs the right side in his SSS last year. Go back and watch the reps at 2b vs SS and 3b. He just was smoother and much more comfortable on the left side. Its a different ball game. The angles different. The turn different. Those that say definitively that you can play 2b if you play SS just dont really get it at a high level. That could be true for some guys but its not understanding the real differences in the positions.

All that’s fair, except you went to “laughable” and “doesn’t play good defense” and “literally not a 2B” and I still say there’s not evidence of that. All the takes don’t have to be strong and hot.
  • You Play to Win the Game, mweb08 and Mackus like this

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:46 PM

All that’s fair, except you went to “laughable” and “doesn’t play good defense” and “literally not a 2B” and I still say there’s not evidence of that. All the takes don’t have to be strong and hot.

Ill leave it at he will seemingly have ample opportunity this year. I mean its god awful Adam Frazier currently standing in his way.

BTW in a lot of ways I hope Im wrong. I want Westburg to get a look in Baltimore and its unlikely to be at SS or 3b unless a few guys in front of him go down.

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:49 PM

Sandberg and Kent are 6'2 and bigger dudes. More recently, Schoop is an example of a big 2B, although only 6'1.

Zobrist is 6'3.

I'm not stressed about his size for the position, but if the organization isn't high on him for 2B, they probably should have been seeing about trading him (maybe they have been).
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=