32 replies to this topic

#1 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 10:10 PM

Sunday night at 8:30! Set your DVRs. Heard one of the makers talking about it today and he rightly said (basically) "that team could not exist in today's NFL" because of how the rules have changed and how their big mouths would have been social media amplified in to a likely distraction. Definitely agree on the former, maybe on the latter.
  • Mike in STL, BSLJamieSieck and cprenegade like this

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 11:40 PM

Sunday night at 8:30! Set your DVRs. Heard one of the makers talking about it today and he rightly said (basically) "that team could not exist in today's NFL" because of how the rules have changed and how their big mouths would have been social media amplified in to a likely distraction. Definitely agree on the former, maybe on the latter.

Sounds about right and I haven't even seen it yet lol

#3 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:22 PM

Every time I see the highlight of Goose giving Rich Gannon a hammer lock and dropping all of his 360 plus pounds on him, I think about how many flags would fly on that play today. Also, I think about all of the times that Michael McCrary crawled to the QB to get a sack and how they would be deemed a "low hit" and flagged. Or when Rob Burnett absolutely demolished Akili Smith. Or when Jamie Sharper de-cleated Ike Hilliard in the Super Bowl. 

The game has changed quite a bit over the last 2 decades. The rationale behind the rule changes (in the name of player safety and head injuries) is certainly admirable and worthwhile but in practice, some aspects of the changes have been detrimental to the game. Specifically, the over officiating involving roughing the passer calls. A helmet graze by a defender shouldn't be flagged and making that an infraction isn't serving to protect players at all. Hopefully, the sky judge proposal gets implemented and can help weed out some of the incorrect calls.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:34 PM

I found the Super Bowl game on Youtube and have been watching it in segments when I've had free time.  The pursuit speed of that Ravens defense was nothing short of amazing and the way they just crushed whoever had the ball.  They were the ultimate intimidator.  If not for the kickoff return TD, the Giants would have been shut out too.  And that was after they were coming off the NFC Championship game and dropping 41 points on the Vikings.  That Ravens defense was just on another level.  

• Hooded Viper, BSLJamieSieck and bmore_ken like this

#5 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 03:39 PM

Every time I see the highlight of Goose giving Rich Gannon a hammer lock and dropping all of his 360 plus pounds on him, I think about how many flags would fly on that play today. Also, I think about all of the times that Michael McCrary crawled to the QB to get a sack and how they would be deemed a "low hit" and flagged. Or when Rob Burnett absolutely demolished Akili Smith. Or when Jamie Sharper de-cleated Ike Hilliard in the Super Bowl. 

The game has changed quite a bit over the last 2 decades. The rationale behind the rule changes (in the name of player safety and head injuries) is certainly admirable and worthwhile but in practice, some aspects of the changes have been detrimental to the game. Specifically, the over officiating involving roughing the passer calls. A helmet graze by a defender shouldn't be flagged and making that an infraction isn't serving to protect players at all. Hopefully, the sky judge proposal gets implemented and can help weed out some of the incorrect calls.

Were Akili Smith and Scott Mitchell both destroyed in the same game? I seem to recall that one of the famous highlights from that Bengals game being Mitchell getting leveled. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#6 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:03 PM

Were Akili Smith and Scott Mitchell both destroyed in the same game? I seem to recall that one of the famous highlights from that Bengals game being Mitchell getting leveled. 

I think so. Mitchell ended up getting benched that game. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:22 PM

I found the Super Bowl game on Youtube and have been watching it in segments when I've had free time. The pursuit speed of that Ravens defense was nothing short of amazing and the way they just crushed whoever had the ball. They were the ultimate intimidator. If not for the kickoff return TD, the Giants would have been shut out too. And that was after they were coming off the NFC Championship game and dropping 41 points on the Vikings. That Ravens defense was just on another level.

With all due respect to the '85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens were the best ever.
  • Mike B and BSLJamieSieck like this

#8 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 04:24 PM

I think so. Mitchell ended up getting benched that game. 

How about the game where they beat up Eddie George so bad(mainly Ray Lewis) that he lost all desire to be out on the field. Sat out the last quarter of the game. 

• BSLJamieSieck likes this

#9 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 08:37 PM

The stupid NBA game is delaying the 30 for 30. Extend your DVR recording times... :)

#10 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 05 February 2023 - 09:29 PM

Played a clip of Burnett smashing Akili Smith, and cut to Billick saying something like "Put Scott Mitchell's fat ass in there". This of course is after Brian started his time here with... Scott Mitchell at QB.

I had forgotten about Corey Dillon basically refusing to go back on the field when Coslet told him to...

#11 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 February 2023 - 09:41 AM

Played a clip of Burnett smashing Akili Smith, and cut to Billick saying something like "Put Scott Mitchell's fat ass in there". This of course is after Brian started his time here with... Scott Mitchell at QB.

I had forgotten about Corey Dillon basically refusing to go back on the field when Coslet told him to...

Remembering when Billick called Scott Mitchell, "the Water Buffalo" in 1999. LOL

• Ravens2006 likes this

@primetime667083

#12 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 09:48 AM

The special was fantastic. Not a TON of new information, but still a very cool recap of that team and that season.  Took on a Goose centered vibe at times, partly because he might have been the biggest personality on that team, and also because he passed shortly after it was filmed.  And with proper bleeping, they played a clip of Billick's "turn off the cameras"... "Muck the Titans!" yell from after the playoff game.

Talked a little about how he (Billick) swallowed SOME of his ego / pride and embraced the run first, set up occasional strikes with the run philosophy.  I also got a kick out of one clip of Ray on the bench talking to someone during a game saying something to a teammate like "All points matter, all time off the clock matters".  Might have been during the @JAX game they won 15-10 with 5 FGs.  Anyway, I wish our current coaching staff managed more games with the same mindset.  ;)

Another clip centered around the Banks benching decision point @home vs TEN.  I remember there was a specific redzone / endzone INT that was basically the final straw.  Brian talked about how in making the decision, he knew what it was going to do in terms of Banks' career (it was likely shutting the door on any long term resurgence; sort of ending his career as a starter)... but that right before the play, they had told him the equivalent of "No matter what happens, don't do <this thing>" and then right afterwards he did <that thing>.  

And the couple times they talked about how that team could not exist in today's game because of the rules changes, couple with a bunch of highlights of the hits they put on people... I miss that style of play so much.  :)

#13 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:07 AM

Fantastic watch last night. Definitely gut wrenching to see Goose as the star of the show and so full of life, all the while knowing he would be gone a month later. But when he dropped the line about Gannon complaining about him being on top of him but his wife, at 5'2', never complains when he gets on top of her once a week was comedy gold.

A couple of other things that jumped out last night for me.....1) After hearing Dilfer allude to his playbook being stolen on the "America's Game" documentary was one thing but to hear him confirm after Gregg Williams' confession is a wild story.....2) Even though we all knew that the Giants didn't score an offensive TD in the Super Bowl, hearing Ray read off the results of the Giants' possessions just reinforced how awesome the 2000 defense truly was.

I do have to say that I was disappointed that there was nothing really about the home win over Jacksonville in week 2. At the time, that was the biggest win in franchise history and the first time we beat the Jags. Perhaps because the defense gave up 36 points that game, the filmmakers didn't want to emphasize it.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip down memory lane. I miss Coach Billick and RIP Goose.

@primetime667083

#14 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:10 AM

The special was fantastic. Not a TON of new information, but still a very cool recap of that team and that season.  Took on a Goose centered vibe at times, partly because he might have been the biggest personality on that team, and also because he passed shortly after it was filmed.  And with proper bleeping, they played a clip of Billick's "turn off the cameras"... "Muck the Titans!" yell from after the playoff game.

Talked a little about how he (Billick) swallowed SOME of his ego / pride and embraced the run first, set up occasional strikes with the run philosophy.  I also got a kick out of one clip of Ray on the bench talking to someone during a game saying something to a teammate like "All points matter, all time off the clock matters".  Might have been during the @JAX game they won 15-10 with 5 FGs.  Anyway, I wish our current coaching staff managed more games with the same mindset.  ;)

Another clip centered around the Banks benching decision point @home vs TEN.  I remember there was a specific redzone / endzone INT that was basically the final straw.  Brian talked about how in making the decision, he knew what it was going to do in terms of Banks' career (it was likely shutting the door on any long term resurgence; sort of ending his career as a starter)... but that right before the play, they had told him the equivalent of "No matter what happens, don't do <this thing>" and then right afterwards he did <that thing>.  

And the couple times they talked about how that team could not exist in today's game because of the rules changes, couple with a bunch of highlights of the hits they put on people... I miss that style of play so much.  :)

Billick talking about the Banks situation and revealing that moment was quite telling. IIRC, that INT was his 3rd of the quarter. Banks had also thrown an INT in the endzone in Washington the week prior, so it was time to make a switch for sure. 

Speaking of that style of play, how about Dilfer's remarks about modern era QBs? Those comments will probably get some run but he's not wrong. 

@primetime667083

#15 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 February 2023 - 10:18 AM

The timing of this documentary is great because I'd much rather reminisce than attempt to decipher how much guaranteed money Lamar wants.

While watching last night, I couldn't help but remember taking a road trip to Tampa with a couple of my buddies and doing the NFL experience. Then, we gathered at the now defunct Whiskey Joe's to watch the game with a few hundred other fans that made the pilgrimage to Tampa. When the confetti started to fall, I made my way over to the pay phone at the bar (a pay phone, what's that? lol) and calling home to talk to my Dad. I could tell he was emotional and we shared a long distance moment of me enjoying an NFL championship for the first time and him enjoying a Baltimore sports moment that he thought he never would again after the Colts' departure. Just so special for me.

What was everyone else doing on that glorious Sunday?

• JStruds likes this

@primetime667083

#16 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:07 AM

The timing of this documentary is great because I'd much rather reminisce than attempt to decipher how much guaranteed money Lamar wants.

While watching last night, I couldn't help but remember taking a road trip to Tampa with a couple of my buddies and doing the NFL experience. Then, we gathered at the now defunct Whiskey Joe's to watch the game with a few hundred other fans that made the pilgrimage to Tampa. When the confetti started to fall, I made my way over to the pay phone at the bar (a pay phone, what's that? lol) and calling home to talk to my Dad. I could tell he was emotional and we shared a long distance moment of me enjoying an NFL championship for the first time and him enjoying a Baltimore sports moment that he thought he never would again after the Colts' departure. Just so special for me.

I had to work but they had they had the game on and would periodically watch it.  Once Lewis ran that kick off back, I knew it was over. The Giants were coming back from a 17 point deficit with that defense. 

#17 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:25 AM

Billick talking about the Banks situation and revealing that moment was quite telling. IIRC, that INT was his 3rd of the quarter. Banks had also thrown an INT in the endzone in Washington the week prior, so it was time to make a switch for sure. 

Speaking of that style of play, how about Dilfer's remarks about modern era QBs? Those comments will probably get some run but he's not wrong. 

Dilfer is right, and not just from the "you can barely touch the QB" aspect.  The thing he said about how you can't even re-route a receiver's pattern now is an aspect I think gets less attention than it warrants.  Everyone is afraid to play press coverage and get physical at or near the line because what was once "good physical man coverage" is very likely to get you an illegal contact or holding penalty now, which is not only yardage but an automatic first down.  WRs today preening and showboating because they caught a 50 yard TD like they're the greatest thing to ever happen to football, while the DB was playing 10 yards off and let them run by untouched with no safety in the picture... you're now running what used to be training camp, no contact 7-on-7 passing drills... in the actual game. Good for you I guess.

I don't know how to express it properly I guess, but when Hamlin got hurt a few weeks back by a WR running full speed untouched, to me it's an example of how the push to limit contact in the name of player safety and increase speed (for the sake of "more offense") may very well threaten to increase the chances of catastrophic injuries in the long run.  Higgins (?) was untouched off the snap and running full speed across the middle, with NO concern about anyone jamming him, or hitting him hard as the ball arrived (because... defenseless receiver).  On the flip side, he hit what you could almost call a defenseless defender and it nearly resulted in the ultimate problem.  

A guy with an ankle injury or a pulled muscle because he was trying to shed "low speed" contact within 5 yards of the LOS stinks, sure.  But what about the two guys who bang helmets at top speed 25 yards downfield because NOTHING has slowed them down at all?

#18 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:27 AM

Watched that game with my dad at his house.  Had no desire to be around a crowd, or crowd noise.  :)  Nearly asphyxiated ourselves with the fireplace going... noticed I was oddly sleepy in the 3rd quarter and the CO2 monitor was about to go off.  Fortunately it was an all around happy ending.

#19 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:36 AM

Fantastic watch last night. Definitely gut wrenching to see Goose as the star of the show and so full of life, all the while knowing he would be gone a month later. But when he dropped the line about Gannon complaining about him being on top of him but his wife, at 5'2', never complains when he gets on top of her once a week was comedy gold.

A couple of other things that jumped out last night for me.....1) After hearing Dilfer allude to his playbook being stolen on the "America's Game" documentary was one thing but to hear him confirm after Gregg Williams' confession is a wild story.....2) Even though we all knew that the Giants didn't score an offensive TD in the Super Bowl, hearing Ray read off the results of the Giants' possessions just reinforced how awesome the 2000 defense truly was.

I do have to say that I was disappointed that there was nothing really about the home win over Jacksonville in week 2. At the time, that was the biggest win in franchise history and the first time we beat the Jags. Perhaps because the defense gave up 36 points that game, the filmmakers didn't want to emphasize it.

All in all, it was a fantastic trip down memory lane. I miss Coach Billick and RIP Goose.

I'd heard and read about Dilfer's playbook story before, but don't recall ever hearing anyone say Williams admitted to it.  That was definitely new to me at least.

Defense gave up 1 TD in 4 post-season games.  16 points against the D in 4 games.  And the FG by Oakland was on a short field off a turnover.

#20 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:40 AM

Due to fortuitous timing, I was able to be in the area enroute from Korea to Alabama for an Army career course. Watched with my old UMBC friends that have been acquainted and inseparable since @1974.
My lasting memory (pre-game) is the amazing amount of purple displayed along the roadways, homes and businesses. Hadn't ever seen anything like it except maybe all the yellow ribbons during Desert Storm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=