#402 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:43 AM

Can’t wait to watch Frazier everyday.

He doesnt strike out. So there is that. Prob plays a solid 2b. So there is that too.

Its a shame Vavra is not capable of being an adequate 2b defensively

#403 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

He doesnt strike out. So there is that. Prob plays a solid 2b. So there is that too.

Its a shame Vavra is not capable of being an adequate 2b defensively

Never striking out doesn't mean much if you have an 80 OPS+

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

she/her

#404 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:20 PM

All those soft grounders are so much more aesthetically pleasing to watch than a K.

#405 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:22 PM

Sure Kyle Schwarber had 46 homers and a 130 OPS+ but he also struck out 200 times, how icky 

she/her

#406 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:47 PM

Lolz. Did you guys think that was some Frazier praise post. I mean do I really need to use emojis

#407 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 01:17 PM

I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Vavra get any game reps at 1st. It seems like we're hell bent on having either O'Hearn or Cordero on the 26 man as a backup 1st baseman. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#408 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

I'm disappointed that we haven't seen Vavra get any game reps at 1st. It seems like we're hell bent on having either O'Hearn or Cordero on the 26 man as a backup 1st baseman.

Are they going 13/13 or 14/12. You can start the season with 14 pitchers. But once they get to 13/13 youve got 5 bench guys. So there really is room in that regard for OHearn or another 1b/DH. The other 4 bench spots will be McKenna, Urias(assuming Frazier is starting), Vavra, and McCann. Urias being able to play every Inf position and the versatility of McKenna and Hays to play every OF position allows them to cover positions and carry a power LH bat on the bench

#409 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 01:43 PM

It’s 13/13 starting on opening day this year.

The backup first base “competition” is fake, none of them will make it barring injury.

#410 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:39 PM

The backup first base “competition” is fake, none of them will make it barring injury.

Agreed. I was thinking 5 man bench not 4. Carry on.

#411 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 March 2023 - 12:58 PM

Who is going to back up Mountcastle then? Since they haven't used Vavra at 1st, what's the alternative, outside of bringing O'Hearn or Cordero north? Will use Urias, Adley or Santander there? 

Ultimately, I think Stowers is the odd man out. Hyde seems to have a bug up his ass about him and didn't want to use him vs lefties, despite his reverse splits. I think McKenna makes the club to fulfill his role in the Sunday "punt lineup".  :mrgreen:

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#412 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:01 PM

I havent payed attention to anything but boxscores in ST but I expect Stowers and Vavra to both be on the club to start the year. Not sure why anyone would think Stowers wouldnt. He might not play vs lefties but I expect him to play vs RHP. Santander, AR, and Vavra can all play 1b.

#413 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:02 PM

I think McCann was also mentioned as a possible backup 1B.

#414 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

I havent payed attention to anything but boxscores in ST but I expect Stowers and Vavra to both be on the club to start the year. Not sure why anyone would think Stowers wouldnt. He might not play vs lefties but I expect him to play vs RHP. Santander, AR, and Vavra can all play 1b.

I based it on how Stowers was used or rather not used last year. Also, I get the vibe that we're keeping one of the backup 1st basemen, which leaves us 2 bench spots after McCann. Vavra sticks because of his versatility and I think McKenna stays because he can sit for a week and still be quasi effective. 

Don't get me wrong, this isn't what I want but this is the vibe I'm getting. 

If things were handled correctly, there would be plenty of ABs for Stowers, Urias and Vavra but a lot of managers are creatures of habit and Hyde certainly has some old school tendencies. Hence the recycled joke about the punt lineup. But as Buck likes to say, our curiosity will be satisfied. 

@primetime667083

#415 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:28 PM

Who is going to back up Mountcastle then? Since they haven't used Vavra at 1st, what's the alternative, outside of bringing O'Hearn or Cordero north? Will use Urias, Adley or Santander there?

Ultimately, I think Stowers is the odd man out. Hyde seems to have a bug up his ass about him and didn't want to use him vs lefties, despite his reverse splits. I think McKenna makes the club to fulfill his role in the Sunday "punt lineup". :mrgreen:

Adley, McCann, Santander, Vavra. First base isn’t exactly the most vigorous position.

Stowers hits lefties well, I expect him to make the team and get around 400 at bats.

#416 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:38 PM

Adley, McCann, Santander, Vavra. First base isn’t exactly the most vigorous position.

Stowers hits lefties well, I expect him to make the team and get around 400 at bats.

Agreed about 1st base but we certainly took great pains to add 1st base depth to the organization. I could certainly be reading to much into it but if you intended to use any of the guys you mentioned at 1st, wouldn't it have behooved everyone involved to get them some in game action at the position this spring? 

You have more faith in Hyde than I do. Unless Hays gets hurt or traded, I don't see Stowers getting 400 ABs this year. I would LOVE to be wrong. 

@primetime667083

#417 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,587 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:38 PM

Stowers/Santander should split time between RF/DH and find plenty of ABs. Hays should get more rest days than an average regular due to the fact that he seems to wear down more than others as the season goes on, which should give Stowers more possible ABs.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#418 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 March 2023 - 03:53 PM

Ramon Urias a late scratch to tonight’s lineup, was scheduled to DH.

#419 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 05:19 PM

Ramon Urias a late scratch to tonight’s lineup, was scheduled to DH.

Are you predicting a trade

#420 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 March 2023 - 05:21 PM

Are you predicting a trade

Just assumed he was hurt or something, didn’t even consider this. What do you think could be going on? Like what are the pros/cons of trading him and any obvious fits?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=