475 replies to this topic

#381 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:24 AM

If Gunnar and GrayRod went 1-2 in ROY, would the O's double dip in compensation?

My understanding is Yes.  Its by the individual. 

Also additional compensation for a MVP or Cy Young Award in any pre-arb season from these guys. Though can only get one pick per player over the pre-arb seasons (if they add an Intl draft, you can get two extra picks fin that, but it doesn't exist yet).

So couldn't get both a 2024 pick for rostering a ROY Grayson this year and then a 2025 pick if he is Cy Young next season.  But could get a 2024 pick for Rodriguez #1 ROY and a 2024 pick for Henderson #2 ROY, if both are on the Opening Day roster.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#382 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:26 AM

No we are on a tight budget. Its still more money even if you extend. A lot more money. 20 innings max isnt worth it. Its absolutely idiotic IMO.

#383 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:49 AM

No we are on a tight budget. Its still more money even if you extend. A lot more money. 20 innings max isnt worth it. Its absolutely idiotic IMO.

It depends.  Its not worth it if 3 starts isn't the difference between meeting an objective or falling short. But if we finish 1 game out of the playoffs, and Rodriguez was really good, I think it would be reasonable to wonder if getting him up 3 starts sooner would've led to any more wins.  Hell I wonder that about getting Rutschman or Henderson up a couple weeks earlier last season (though we weren't 1-2 wins short of any major milestones).

Fully agree in general, in a vacuum without other considerations, a year of control during a player's prime is an order of magnitude more important than the first 3 weeks of their rookie season.  But plausible scenarios exist where that gap is closed entirely.

If we finish 1 game out of the WC and Rodriguez debuts May 1 with a 3.15 ERA over 125 innings, I think many of us will be wondering if him being available for 150 innings starting on Opening Day might've made up that difference.  I'd absolutely trade all of Rodriguez' 2029 control for the difference between being a Wild Card and being 1 game out.  Whether his presence on OD versus a month later is the difference between those things is unknowable, even with full hindsight, but its not an unreasonable theory.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#384 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 12:15 PM

I think more about the messaging to the clubhouse. 

#385 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 01:47 PM

I think more about the messaging to the clubhouse.

Which is a valid point that Elias should counter with his ST ups and downs. If the kid was lights out this spring it would be a much harder sell to everyone. Fans and the players.

#386 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 01:51 PM

Adley and Mount both have had good STs. Gunnar struggled a lot early. Seems to be heating up near the end.

#387 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,865 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 21 March 2023 - 09:07 PM

What's the issue with not keeping Kjerstad up?  He's killed it!  It's TIME to bring the young kids up!

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#388 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 March 2023 - 09:11 PM

What's the issue with not keeping Kjerstad up?  He's killed it!  It's TIME to bring the young kids up!

He also has yet to play above high-A ball, and didn't really do all that well while there. The AFL and ST are enough to skip sending him back to Aberdeen, IMO. Bowie is a good place to start for him. And if he hits, he doesn't need to stay there long.

• BobPhelan and CantonJester like this

#389 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:06 AM

What's the issue with not keeping Kjerstad up? He's killed it! It's TIME to bring the young kids up!

30 spring at bats don’t mean all that much. Obviously impressive and better than the opposite but he’s gotta keep it going in AA. If he does he’ll be in AAA by June and set up for a late season call up.

#390 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:27 AM

30 spring at bats don’t mean all that much. Obviously impressive and better than the opposite but he’s gotta keep it going in AA. If he does he’ll be in AAA by June and set up for a late season call up.

HK needs to get 500 AB's between AA/AAA.  It is great to see him have such a great spring.  He needs to make the Orioles bring him up.

• BobPhelan and makoman like this
@mikeghg

#391 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:50 AM

What's going on at 2B to begin the year?  Frazier, Urias, Vavra?  Doesn't really sound like Westburg, Norby, or Ortiz have enough momentum to break North.

#392 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:04 AM

What's going on at 2B to begin the year? Frazier, Urias, Vavra? Doesn't really sound like Westburg, Norby, or Ortiz have enough momentum to break North.

Yeah I think you have it. Norby was already re-assigned, Ortiz is dealing with a concussion. Westburg is a trade or injury away.

#393 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:12 AM

What's going on at 2B to begin the year?  Frazier, Urias, Vavra?  Doesn't really sound like Westburg, Norby, or Ortiz have enough momentum to break North.

He’s cooled some since his hot start, but Vavra is about the only one who’s earned it based solely off spring. If nothing else, I’d say he’s earned a roster spot at least.

#394 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:31 AM

For Kjerstad, the magic number seems like 200 PAs of productive hitting in Bowie before you're promoted

Gunnar - 208, 1.025 OPS

Westburg - 209, .817 OPS

Cowser - 224, 1.037 OPS

• BobPhelan, CantonJester and makoman like this

she/her

#395 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:44 AM

For Kjerstad, the magic number seems like 200 PAs of productive hitting in Bowie before you're promoted

Gunnar - 208, 1.025 OPS

Westburg - 209, .817 OPS

Cowser - 224, 1.037 OPS

Then Gunnar got 295 PAs in AAA, Adley had 238. Mike's 500 in AA/AAA from above seems reasonable, assuming everything goes well.

#396 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,562 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:44 AM

Gunnar - 208, 1.025 OPS
Westburg - 209, .817 OPS
Cowser - 224, 1.037 OPS

That’s essentially what they want to see at each level for a promotion until you get to AAA then it seems like they want you to get some real seasoning.

#397 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:53 AM

Has Westburg been playing 2b in games this spring. Havent payed attention to his position when hes getting his PT

#398 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:56 AM

I would think Urias and Frazier have ot covered to start the year. I think Vava makes the team as a uti guy that will never really play much in the field. Can play positions in a pinch but a DH/1b

#399 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:59 AM

Has Westburg been playing 2b in games this spring. Havent payed attention to his position when hes getting his PT

Per baseball-reference he has played 16 games, and they put under position summary SS-6 3b-5 2b-5. Not clear what that means exactly (most innings that game?), but I would guess yes, fairly even among the three.

Ok I guess it is games at that position. No idea on innings.

#400 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:05 AM

Yeah was just going back through some boxscores. Looks like hes moved around this spring like he did at AAA. As we know, Im suspicious he can play a good enough 2b in the show but if he can thats big.

Interesting to see if he moves around again this year at AAA or if he gets a reg position. Norby and Ortiz seem pretty locked at SS and 2b when they start. Granted, Ortiz may be on the IL to start the year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=