#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:33 PM

Or better yet, he should stop "phrasing things" since he's so bad at it. 

That I agree with.  He has had his catch phrases, that people interpret so many different ways.  For a smart guy, and he is very smart, he lets his mouth get in the way at times.

I read his latest comment though and did not see anything wrong with it.

One other thing, if someone stuck a microphone and a recorder in front of any of us, as much as they do with Elias, all of us would say things, we wish we could walk back.

@mikeghg

#22 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:41 PM

That I agree with.  He has had his catch phrases, that people interpret so many different ways.  For a smart guy, and he is very smart, he lets his mouth get in the way at times.

One other thing, if someone stuck a microphone and a recorder in front of any of us, as much as they do with Elias, all of us would say things, we wish we could walk back.

I guess it doesn't help that he has to stand in front of people and make excuses for ownership.   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:50 PM

I guess it doesn't help that he has to stand in front of people and make excuses for ownership.   

I think John "Open Book" Angelos is certainly a large part to blame, I also think Elias is still following his plan.

Come on Spring Training.

• weird-O likes this
@mikeghg

#24 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:56 PM

I think John "Open Book" Angelos is certainly a large part to blame, I also think Elias is still following his plan.

Come on Spring Training.

I was (still am) so frustrated with their off season, I canceled my MLB.tv automatic subscription. I'm not gonna lie, that article kind of has me wanting to start it back up this spring. 

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:59 PM

Lol at having a subscribtion the last number of years and cancelling it before this season of all the times to do it.
  • weird-O likes this

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:29 PM

I think people would be a lot happier (or less unhappy) if they ignored whatever he says,

I need to start doing that, because all the shoveling is taking a toll on my back.

• weird-O likes this

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:33 PM

I was (still am) so frustrated with their off season, I canceled my MLB.tv automatic subscription. I'm not gonna lie, that article kind of has me wanting to start it back up this spring.

I got it for the last two months of last season. I cancelled it right after. I will be fair weather fan as hell with that subscription.
@BSLMikeRandall

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:54 PM

I always have to cancel/re-subscribe each season to get the military discount. It's worth the inconvenience.

• weird-O likes this

#29 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:32 PM

I got it for the last two months of last season. I cancelled it right after. I will be fair weather fan as hell with that subscription.

I did the same thing. But I left it in auto subscribe status, because, you know, "liftoff". Then the Angelos family acted like they always do. I looked at their monetary investment, and matched it with the cancellation.  I proudly wear my fair weather fan patch on my sleeve. After all, they were the ones who changed me from a die hard, to a fan whose willing to look, if they show me something worth seeing.   

#30 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 06:27 PM

They once famously said they want to emulate the Rays (despite spending nearly half what Tampa does on payroll, but I digress). Does the Rays management constantly mention the division like this as a means to subtly lower fan expectations? If so, they are really doing a terrible job of it by making the playoffs so regularly.

I live near Tampa and yes they do, quite a bit actually.

#31 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 06:44 PM

I live near Tampa and yes they do, quite a bit actually.

Interesting. Pretty sure if I were in their situation and had that level of sustained success, I'd take a different approach.

#32 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 January 2023 - 07:46 PM

I have a TLDR response for this. :)

#33 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:00 PM

Not really sure where to put this, but someone asked Keith Law about Henderson and Mateo in a chat:

J
1:14
If you're the O's do you run Henderson out at 3rd and Mateo at SS while you develop Westburg and Ortiz further? Or Henderson at SS, Urias (?) at 3rd and Mateo all over?

Keith Law
1:15
I'm a little biased on this because I think Henderson's glove at third will be a 70 or better, but I know that not everyone sees it exactly that way. But I'd move him there, and Mateo keeps the seat warm at short until they can give Ortiz a go.

• BobPhelan likes this

#34 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:02 PM

Also:

Steven
1:20
If you were the Orioles, would you look to trade Jorge Mateo to a team that missed on the FA shortstops and replace him with Joey Ortiz?

Keith Law
1:20
If there's a market, sure, but I don't think teams are banging down the door for a guy with a .267 OBP last year.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:15 PM

Was supposedly interest in Mateo this offseason. The glove is really good and the range and speed on the bases may play up this year with the banned shift and bigger bases.

All that is to say yeah, you hand Gunnar the 3b job and keep SS for Mateo and likely Ortiz after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=