196 replies to this topic

#41 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 09:10 PM

Add one more decent bat in a trade. I have no expectation it'll be a significant addition but someone who can help. Ideally still LH with some pop. So that and Ill sign off on a C or C+ offseason

Lol
@BSLMikeRandall

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 09:33 PM

Phelan any scouting report on Virbitsky's stuff

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2023 - 09:43 PM

Darwinzon Hernandez is who they DFA'd to make room for him.

#44 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 January 2023 - 11:58 PM

I don't have any real issues with Cole Irvin or the trade.

If I had to pick a list of 10 guys to help out in 2023, he's LHed and available so he's probably at the back end of my list.

I could see him leveraging Walltimore and a good defense to improve his overall performance.

I like that he's left-handed so there a value bump there, for me, but (as others have said) Gibson and Irvin don't represent some kind of amazing work.  

I think GRod and Hall are the ones losing ML time here and if that happens, then the difference between GRod and Irvin is probably a net negative (until later).

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2023 - 06:48 AM

Phelan any scouting report on Virbitsky's stuff

Huge 6’7’’, 235 right handed pitcher with a high arm slot and very hoppy fastball despite not having eye popping velocity. Gets plenty of strikeouts and doesn’t walk anyone, voted best command of any A’s minor leaguer. I would guess they move him to a strictly bullpen role to try and maximize the velocity and let him eat. Upside of a Bryan Baker maybe?
  • dude and makoman like this

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:47 AM

Huge 6’7’’, 235 right handed pitcher with a high arm slot and very hoppy fastball despite not having eye popping velocity. Gets plenty of strikeouts and doesn’t walk anyone, voted best command of any A’s minor leaguer. I would guess they move him to a strictly bullpen role to try and maximize the velocity and let him eat. Upside of a Bryan Baker maybe?

Anything on his offspeed/breaking stuff?

They def love their big boys. Has never put up good numbers despite being a college pitcher. Seems to quite simply just get hit too often. Obviously, hes a flyer 2nd piece to Irvin. Doesnt mean you dont try to squeeze something out of him.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#47 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:04 AM

Anything on his offspeed/breaking stuff?

They def love their big boys. Has never put up good numbers despite being a college pitcher. Seems to quite simply just get hit too often. Obviously, hes a flyer 2nd piece to Irvin. Doesnt mean you dont try to squeeze something out of him.

Haven’t seen anything definitive on his off speed stuff but I’m guessing they’re around 40-45’s. But the org is confident in their ability to develop changeups and sweeping sliders so who knows. I’m sure he was targeted for a reason.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,624 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:50 AM

I think there are things to like about Irvin.  He has a low WHIP, which is always important to me.  He should be helped by what I think will be a good Orioles defense and at 29 years old(next week), he could be a pitcher on the rise. If nothing else the 180 innings will help limit the strain on the bullpen.  I think this is a good trade.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,624 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2023 - 09:56 AM

I don't have any real issues with Cole Irvin or the trade.

If I had to pick a list of 10 guys to help out in 2023, he's LHed and available so he's probably at the back end of my list.

I could see him leveraging Walltimore and a good defense to improve his overall performance.

I like that he's left-handed so there a value bump there, for me, but (as others have said) Gibson and Irvin don't represent some kind of amazing work.  

I think GRod and Hall are the ones losing ML time here and if that happens, then the difference between GRod and Irvin is probably a net negative (until later).

I have mentioned it before, but it would not shock me to see Grayson and Hall stay in extended ST until late April.  That would take about 25 innings off their workload and make it easier to manage their innings in September.

I think I counted 5 off days before May 2, and there is almost sure to be a rainout or two in April, so the need for a 5th or even 6th starter could be covered by someone like Voth who could also work out of the pen.

@mikeghg

#50 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:59 AM

I’ll be shocked if Rodriguez doesn’t start in the majors. Hall I could see but I think he’ll come north with the team too.

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 11:18 AM

I have mentioned it before, but it would not shock me to see Grayson and Hall stay in extended ST until late April.  That would take about 25 innings off their workload and make it easier to manage their innings in September.

I think I counted 5 off days before May 2, and there is almost sure to be a rainout or two in April, so the need for a 5th or even 6th starter could be covered by someone like Voth who could also work out of the pen.

I agree. I think they much prefer to restrict both of their innings at the start of the season in Norfolk over potentially having to shut them down in August. And while it’s only the icing on the cake, delaying Rodriguez’s service time is an added bonus for them.

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,624 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2023 - 12:17 PM

I’ll be shocked if Rodriguez doesn’t start in the majors. Hall I could see but I think he’ll come north with the team too.

Just to be clear, I am not trying to start a negative service time thread, I just think it may make sense to keep GRod and Hall  back so we can have them both available in August and September.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2023 - 05:54 PM

Potential RoY draft pick > additional service time that you may lose if he finishes top 2 in RoY anyway

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 05:57 PM

Ill bet on not finishing top 2 to get the extra year when he will be a stud vs 30 innings his rookie year. Its an easy call.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 06:00 PM

Potential RoY draft pick > additional service time that you may lose if he finishes top 2 in RoY anyway

No way. An extra year of control is much more valuable than the picks.

I'm happy to put him on the OD roster, but the potential benefit of demoting him far outweighs the potential benefit from the ROY.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2023 - 06:07 PM

He’s not throwing 180+ innings this year. I say manage it upfront, keep him down, start him very lite in Norfolk or wherever, and save that extra year. If he wasn’t in an innings management situation, I’d say let’s win every game we can this year. But since we have to manage his workload anyway, I say knock two birds out with one stone. And since this regime clearly isn’t going to commit to big money/multi year deals, we need every possible year of cost control possible IMO.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#57 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 January 2023 - 06:26 PM

No way. An extra year of control is much more valuable than the picks.

I'm happy to put him on the OD roster, but the potential benefit of demoting him far outweighs the potential benefit from the ROY.

I just think there is a good chance he loses the extra year anyway and you lose out on a potential draft pick. With a guy like Westburg I would agree tho.

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 06:28 PM

Its just different with a pitcher. At least with a position player he is starting nearly every night. GRod will literally throw 30 innings tops by the time his extra year kicks in. Moreover, SPs often take longer to develop. Having him for a full year in year 7  29 will come in handy. Of course, he could finish top 2 and then you lose out on both the extra year and compensation but its something you have to risk. I also think voters tend to lean position player for ROY. TO finish top 2 he would not only need to be quite good but the rest of the rookie field would have to be relatively weak.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 06:39 PM

Limiting innings early in the season at Norfolk > shutting him down in August, especially if they are in the WC chase

That's my point. The service time part is just gravy.

#60 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 07:15 PM

I just think there is a good chance he loses the extra year anyway and you lose out on a potential draft pick. With a guy like Westburg I would agree tho.

Isn't Gunnar the odds-on favorite to win RoY? Do we expect the two best rookies in baseball are on the O's?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=