196 replies to this topic

#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:07 PM

It gives them flexibility/stability in managing Rodriguez's workload. The same could be said wrt manipulating his service time.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:10 PM

Only way I could see Irvin, Kremer, or Bradish not making the rotation would be injury. I think they'll slow play Rodriguez to start the year.

5th starter will he from whoever looks best out out of Wells, Voth, Watkins, etc. I think they'd rather Hall throw more consistently in AAA.

Rodriguez has the strongest odds of being in the Opening Day rotation of the entire group, but beyond that, I do agree that Irvin, Kremer and Bradish are very likely to be in the rotation, but I think there is still a chance that any of them pitch so poorly in ST that they decide to send them out and give someone else first dibs on the rotation (Wells, Voth, Hall in that order).

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:10 PM

A proven SP who can take the ball every 5th day is always a valuable commodity.

I feel better going with Irvin that rolling the dice and hoping we can get repeat performances from Voth or Watkins types.

I also feel better, but they should have acquired pitchers clearly and considerably better than he and Gibson.
  • Mackus likes this

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:12 PM

I don’t not like it, but his peripherals show a clear back end guy. Isn’t upgrading anything. But these guys can have some value.

Lol

#25 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:23 PM

Nothing earth shattering but it solidifies rotation depth and should force Wells back to the bullpen, which would make the bullpen pretty ridiculous. 

While there hasn't been "lift off" this off season, there has been incremental improvements to the weak spots on the roster. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#26 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:23 PM

The O's new slogan: We added a new player, he's not great but hey it's better than nothing!
  • mweb08, Mackus, PrimeTime and 4 others like this

#27 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:51 PM

We traded our 5th best SS prospect for a ML SP with four years of control left plus a pitching prospect who fits the mold of guys they have drafted and developed the past few years. Hard not to like it.

Meanwhile Hernaiz is instantly a top 10 prospect for the A’s and has a clearer path to the show. Win win.
  • BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan and mdrunning like this

#28 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:11 PM

We traded our 5th best SS prospect for a ML SP with four years of control left plus a pitching prospect who fits the mold of guys they have drafted and developed the past few years. Hard not to like it.

Meanwhile Hernaiz is instantly a top 10 prospect for the A’s and has a clearer path to the show. Win win.

It's a good move for a franchise that has no real desire to use a meaningful portion of the significant resources that should be at their disposal. 

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:14 PM

I wont oversell Irvin or pretend to know he has much room to grow but its possible he could take a step. Like that he is LH and like that he has 4 years of team control should he take another step
  • BobPhelan likes this

#30 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:15 PM

It's a good move for a franchise that has no real desire to use a meaningful portion of the significant resources that should be at their disposal.

I’m not doing cartwheels about it but I also trust the evaluators and PD to the point that they acquired these pitchers with a plan to improve/maximize their performance.

I’d still be looking to trade for a Burnes/Woodruff/etc, maybe this allows you to trade a Kremer as part of a deal like that.

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:15 PM

Irvin is clearly more valuable to the franchise right now than Hernaiz, clear win from that standpoint.  Good move.

But if we then step back and look at the offseason as a whole, "upgrading" the rotation with Gibson and Irvin remains a poor solution.  Everyone would've said so in October.  Its less of a failure than only having brought in Gibson, which was less of a failure than when all they had done was dump Lyles.   But I think this offseason has still been overall a very poor effort at improving the starting pitching for 2023.  I don't think that can really be countered.  This was not a good job of making upgrades at the most deficient part of the team.  Doubly frustrating because many good solutions were available.

• BobPhelan and DuffMan like this

#32 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:18 PM

Irvin is clearly more valuable to the franchise right now than Hernaiz, clear win from that standpoint. Good move.

But if we then step back and look at the offseason as a whole, "upgrading" the rotation with Gibson and Irvin remains a poor solution. Everyone would've said so at in October. Its less of a failure than only having brought in Gibson, which was less of a failure than when all they had done was dump Lyles. But I think this offseason has still been overall a very poor effort at improving the starting pitching for 2023. I don't think that can really be countered. This was not a good job of making upgrades at the most deficient part of the team.

Yeah, I agree. Clear upgrades at least. Saw something recently that Gibson added a sweeper late in the season and got ridiculous movement and swing and miss on it. I’m sure the team thinks they can work with him on that to reach another level, similar to what they did with Voth and Watkins.

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:24 PM

Nothing earth shattering but it solidifies rotation depth and should force Wells back to the bullpen, which would make the bullpen pretty ridiculous. 

While there hasn't been "lift off" this off season, there has been incremental improvements to the weak spots on the roster. 

Eh, whoever you want to say is the lesser addition between Irvin and Gibson is just a maybe as an upgrade over Wells/Voth. I do agree that this helps the pen depth and quality although it's still of lesser quality than it was prior to the Lopez trade.

Otherwise, the only improvement of note is backup catcher.

I know people keep pointing to Frazier as an upgrade over Odor, which sure, but Odor was only a placeholder. There's no credit imo for upgrading on a poor placeholder when the new guy isn't even projected to be better than the player(s) whose place Odor was holding. He's also not better than Urias, who seems slated to be lose time due to the move. 

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 05:43 PM

Add one more decent bat in a trade. I have no expectation it'll be a significant addition but someone who can help. Ideally still LH with some pop. So that and Ill sign off on a C or C+ offseason

#35 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 January 2023 - 06:11 PM

The only reason we are looking at this favorably at all is because of how poorly the offseason has gone. Its exactly like every other move they made except for the backup catcher. Nothing wrong with the move in a vacuum but absolutely not what the team needed to do.

• Mackus and dude like this

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 06:41 PM

I talked about the Orioles trading for him recently. I like the IP aspect. Better to have more than enough pitchers than not enough. It’s a long season and people will either not be good or get hurt. Solid trade and didn’t give up anything.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 January 2023 - 07:12 PM

Not that they would consider or need it, but it appears he has an option remaining too.

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 January 2023 - 07:43 PM

Add one more decent bat in a trade. I have no expectation it'll be a significant addition but someone who can help. Ideally still LH with some pop. So that and Ill sign off on a C or C+ offseason

Haa. Of course you would.

#39 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 26 January 2023 - 08:06 PM

Haa. Of course you would.

Youre adorable. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#40 russsnyder