88 replies to this topic

#81 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 03:01 PM

There's definitely some truth to fans simply repeating what the hear from talking heads. However, with the availability of All 22 film through the NFL, any fan that wants to pay for the privilege and take some time to study can learn a lot about the game. I'm sure the majority of average fans don't watch film but plenty of hardcore fans do so these days. Any of us that have that looked at film of the Ravens passing attack compared to, let's say more efficient passing games around the league, you can see the issues with Roman's designs.

While I haven't examined film, I personally never had a problem with Roman's passing plays. My problem was his abandoning the run game at the wrong times. 

#82 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 03:27 PM

Assuming we have a brand new offense, holding out would seem like a bad idea because he won't be learning the offense, so it would be harder for him to be successful. If he has a slow start, leading to a 3rd straight year that's overall not so great, is that going to hurt his next contract at all? Maybe, maybe not, but if I were him I think I'd rather do all I can to be successful.

I just don't see the benefit of holding out, except to make your displeasure clear, which I think he can do anyway. A QB isn't taking any hits at all during camp, and they showed this year that starters aren't going to play much if at all in preseason, so the injury chance would seem to be incredibly low.

Agreed. I think the injury thing tends to be overblown. He's been injured two seasons in a row and it doesn't seem to be hurting his contract options. If he plays under the tag, he makes $45M and gets to showcase what he can do. Win win. Holding out has no benefit that I can see.

#83 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 20 January 2023 - 03:42 PM

While I haven't examined film, I personally never had a problem with Roman's passing plays. My problem was his abandoning the run game at the wrong times. 

Another perfectly logical take. Coaches have such massive egos that they can't believe a lowly fan can apply simple logic. Any fan with 2 brain cells looked at the wild card game and wondered why JK Dobbins only got 12 carries and none in the red zone. 

• bmore_ken and JStruds like this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#84 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:07 AM

I think it was Ravens2006 who posted some screen shots of bunch formations Roman called during passing plays. Receivers bunched together and cutting off each others passing lanes.

Not saying Roman was a failure with passing plays, just that some of the ones he called had very low levels of success.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#85 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:44 PM

I think it was Ravens2006 who posted some screen shots of bunch formations Roman called during passing plays. Receivers bunched together and cutting off each others passing lanes.

Not saying Roman was a failure with passing plays, just that some of the ones he called had very low levels of success.

His passing schemes were very vanilla. And he constantly had no spacing with his recievers. You watch an Andy Reid designed play, and the recievers stretch the defense across the field. It's almost impossible to succeed in zone coverage against Reid, unless you can get pressure right away. Roman on the other hand, would have 3 guys that end up in the same area. That's why Tennessee and Buffalo had success against our offense. They stacked the box and played zones in Roman's "hot spots" for recievers.

#86 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:46 PM

Also, watching the KC game, and they just showed that Kelce is the most targeted reciever in the redzone. Another thing Reid does well, he gives his best players the most chances in the redzone. Getting inside the 20, and seeing Roman forget completely about his best players was very frustrating.
  • Mike in STL and bmore_ken like this

#87 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:52 PM

Also, watching the KC game, and they just showed that Kelce is the most targeted reciever in the redzone. Another thing Reid does well, he gives his best players the most chances in the redzone. Getting inside the 20, and seeing Roman forget completely about his best players was very frustrating.

Like I said a few days ago, it was almost like he was trying to get fired.  It's just beyond any semblance of common sense to not use your best weapons in the redzone but he did it repeatedly. 

#88 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 06:48 PM

Like I said a few days ago, it was almost like he was trying to get fired. It's just beyond any semblance of common sense to not use your best weapons in the redzone but he did it repeatedly.

I think he overthought it every single time. Felt like he had to try and pull a fast one and get it to someone the defense least expected. When you do that every single time, teams just start to expect it, and you lose all element of surprise.
  • cprenegade likes this

#89 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 08:25 PM

Totally agree.  Roman seemed to be all about they are expecting this so even though it is what we do best, we are going to cross them up and do what we don't do best just to try and trick them.  It failed on so many occasions.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=