#41 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:12 PM

That's just John playing politician.  It doesn't mean anything.

I know and I get it but in the moment, it was insulting to hear. And I wonder if he actually believed it.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#42 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:16 PM

I know and I get it but in the moment, it was insulting to hear. And I wonder if he actually believed it.

He's one of those guys who will always go down with the ship.  Unlike Dobbins, he's not going to say anything bad about Roman.  He's already said, ad nauseum, that fans don't have any clue what they're talking about. 

#43 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:22 PM

Here's my 1 defense of Roman's "excellent" passing game.

He consistently found seams for Andrews (and later, Likely) to catch the ball for 3 years despite the fact that outside of 2021 he was the only consistent pass catching threat.

ok that's it, excuse me while I puke in my mouth a little for saying that.

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:25 PM

Did they mention, or was any question asked about Steve Saunders?

I imagine any question about LJ was going to be boilerplate close to the vest response as they negotiate.

Roman is gone.

So Saunders is the only thing I’m kinda curious if it was addressed.
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:35 PM

I imagine any question about LJ was going to be boilerplate close to the vest response as they negotiate.

Roman is gone.

I listened to parts of the conference and heard Harbs (I think) say they had a good year injury wise.

JMO, but I think anyone blaming Saunders for injuries is wrong.  If it was my call, I would have canned Saunders for his carelessness that caused the covid outbreak a few years back, but what do we as fans know about the type of job he does on a daily basis.

@mikeghg

#46 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:40 PM

I listened to parts of the conference and heard Harbs (I think) say they had a good year injury wise.

JMO, but I think anyone blaming Saunders for injuries is wrong. If it was my call, I would have canned Saunders for his carelessness that caused the covid outbreak a few years back, but what do we as fans know about the type of job he does on a daily basis.

Derek Wolfe had an axe to grind. Perhaps that’s just one guy’s experience.
@BSLMikeRandall

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:40 PM

Might want to pick up the mic and look at the next three years of Chicago's offense under Nagy...

Its Mitch Trubisky and Justin Fields. Hes a fine target but I expect him to be the next Chiefs OC so have at discussing him further

#48 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:41 PM

Roman is gone.

Regarding Lamar, I mentioned something in the general talk thread about it but I will see that EDC seemed very confident that they would be retaining him. It didn't sound like coachspeak type sound bites to me but I could misinterpreting things. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#49 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:41 PM

That's just John playing politician. It doesn't mean anything.

Its as if people watching dont understand how this works.

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:43 PM

Regarding Lamar, I mentioned something in the general talk thread about it but I will see that EDC seemed very confident that they would be retaining him. It didn't sound like coachspeak type sound bites to me but I could misinterpreting things.

Because they truly want him back. Stability Stability Stability.

#51 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:47 PM

JMO, but I think anyone blaming Saunders for injuries is wrong.  If it was my call, I would have canned Saunders for his carelessness that caused the covid outbreak a few years back, but what do we as fans know about the type of job he does on a daily basis.

Harbaugh said they did way better with soft tissue injuries and a lot of stuff they were dealing with was carryover from last year; outside of Lamar, of course. Albeit, we did have impactful, season ending injuries to James, Fuller, Bateman and Duvernay but 2 of those were victims of the Met Life turf. 

@primetime667083

#52 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:52 PM

Its as if people watching dont understand how this works.

I understand perfectly how this works.

Playing politician or using coachspeak is one thing but being disingenuous is another thing. Harbaugh could've simply offered some generic line about how they appreciated Roman and his contributions over the last 5 years but he instead specifically complimented the passing game. 

I would go as far as to say if Roman hadn't tendered his resignation, I don't believe Harbaugh would've let him go.

@primetime667083

#53 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:54 PM

I think Stanley's and Lamar's injury situation is a lot of smoke for a role that has a lot of qualified candidates.  It's not just Wolfe to me.

#54 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:56 PM

The Ravens are going to have to resolve the coordinator situation long before there's any certainty regarding Lamar's long-term status with the team. They're obviously going to look for someone who they believe can bring out the best in Lamar, but that's assuming Lamar's going to be here. It's like buying tires but you're not sure of the make and model of the car.

And with new coordinators come new systems. If the Ravens franchise Lamar and he possibly holds out, how quickly is he going to be able to adapt to a new system if and when he returns?

#55 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:11 PM

I think, though I agreed Roman needed to move on, that it isn't a guarantee that Lamar will be better in a new system the way some people seem to believe. In fact I think putting him in a traditional offense is a mistake, as he's not a traditional QB. In my mind, Roman's schemes weren't the problem - they turned Lamar into an MVP. The problem was his playcalling and feel for the game.

#56 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:19 PM

I think, though I agreed Roman needed to move on, that it isn't a guarantee that Lamar will be better in a new system the way some people seem to think. In fact I think putting him in a traditional offense is a mistake, as he's not a traditional QB. In my mind, Roman's schemes weren't the problem - they turned Lamar into an MVP. The problem was his playcalling and feel for the game.

Lamar had a prolific college career and won a Heisman Trophy in a pro style offense, so it would be unfair to pigeonhole him into this particular scheme. No doubt there was success but Roman's offense definitely had a ceiling. We saw it happen in San Fran and Buffalo, then we saw it here.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@primetime667083

#57 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:23 PM

Lamar had a prolific college career and won a Heisman Trophy in a pro style offense, so it would be unfair to pigeonhole him into this particular scheme. No doubt there was success but Roman's offense definitely had a ceiling. We saw it happen in San Fran and Buffalo, then we saw it here.

We shall see. Do we really want to see Lamar in a traditional pocket passer offense? He's not Matt Ryan. Even if it's a *more* traditional looking scheme, it's going to need to be tailored more specifically to what he does best.

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:26 PM

I understand perfectly how this works.

Playing politician or using coachspeak is one thing but being disingenuous is another thing. Harbaugh could've simply offered some generic line about how they appreciated Roman and his contributions over the last 5 years but he instead specifically complimented the passing game. 

I would go as far as to say if Roman hadn't tendered his resignation, I don't believe Harbaugh would've let him go.

Harbaugh wasnt going to have a choice

They've known each other forever and Roman has done good work here overall. Kicking a man in any way walking out the door is bush league. Harbaugh being cryptic or not directly answering  the question would be kicking him as he walked out the door.  Harbaugh like everyone else in that position is damned if you do and damned if you dont.. He directly answered a question which he so often gets bitched about not doing. 

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:27 PM

Lamar had a prolific college career and won a Heisman Trophy in a pro style offense,

For a nanosecond I was thinking they should call Bobby Petrino about a reunion....but I'm sure he's persona non grata in the NFL (and probably most colleges too).

• PrimeTime likes this

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,703 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:27 PM

The Ravens are going to have to resolve the coordinator situation long before there's any certainty regarding Lamar's long-term status with the team. They're obviously going to look for someone who they believe can bring out the best in Lamar, but that's assuming Lamar's going to be here. It's like buying tires but you're not sure of the make and model of the car.

And with new coordinators come new systems. If the Ravens franchise Lamar and he possibly holds out, how quickly is he going to be able to adapt to a new system if and when he returns?

It'll certainly hurt in early 2023 if he plays on the tag and holds out for all of preseason. I don't think there is much chance of him playing on the tag, but if he does, this would be a serious concern for the early part of 2023. Lamar's a unique guy though, so maybe he actually signs the tender and participates.

Being on the tag past March is the least likely scenario, IMO, so it's not a huge concern for that reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=