#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:19 PM

I think it is possible that Martin or Williams could step up and do a good job.and run an entirely different offense.  They have been working in the parameters of Roman's offense and probably would change to a different system.  My hope is we hire a coach who is not a friend of Jack, Jim or John.  Let's hire someone fresh and creative.

@mikeghg

#22 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:23 PM

These were all good,well-qualified choices, IMO.  Not working out here over the long haul doesn't mean they weren't smart additions at the time.  Only Mornhinweg do I recall being apprehensive about, but its been a long time for any of them so hard to rely on memory.

Trestman was an odd choice, too. His biggest successes as an OC was with the 49ers in the mid 90s and one season with Oakland in 2002. He bounced around after that, coached in college, then went to CFL before returning to the NFL to be the Bears HC. The Trestman era was pretty much a disaster, although Joe tearing up his knee didn't help.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#23 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:25 PM

This guarantees Lamar has a new OC and system going into next season.   The guy they hire will tell us a lot about whether Lamar is in their plans for next season.   

#24 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:26 PM

Look at that list. Does anyone think that Harbaugh will make a good choice?  We  have to hope that Harbaugh is the proverbial blind squirrel. LOL

Jim Caldwell helped us win a SB.  Kubiak was great, although I think that was a Steve B. hire. and Roman had very good success in his first couple of years here, so the list is not that bad.

IMO, Roman may have been the perfect coach for Lamar in 18-19 and 20.  Teams began to adjust  and he did not adapt.  

@mikeghg

#25 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:32 PM

I think Kubiak was the one hire when they went over John's head. I'm not sure if Ozzie wanted him or Bisciotti demanded it but I do recall it not being a Harbaugh choice. I thought he did a great job, especially utilizing Flacco's limited talents, leading him to his best year as a Raven.
  • Dupin likes this

#26 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:33 PM

Jim Caldwell helped us win a SB.  Kubiak was great, although I think that was a Steve B. hire. and Roman had very good success in his first couple of years here, so the list is not that bad.

IMO, Roman may have been the perfect coach for Lamar in 18-19 and 20.  Teams began to adjust  and he did not adapt.  

With regards to Caldwell in 2013, I wonder how much the Luis Castillo Oline coach disaster impacted him.

I also think Cam Cameron gets a bad rap. The Air Coryell system was pretty perfect for Flacco's skill set, featuring 9 routes, deep outs and play action. Ultimately, Cam fell into the same kind of trap as Roman; abandoning the running game at the wrong time.

Perhaps an OC shouldn't be in the same place for more than 3 years?

• Mike B likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#27 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:34 PM

How about Matt Nagy?  Seems to check off a lot of boxes for us, and assuming Reid's management system isn't too different from Harbaugh's (not a stretch since Harbaugh is in his coaching tree) they seem like they could hit the ground running.  Former HC, OC would be an upgrade from his current position, was in a top tier system.

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:34 PM

With regards to Caldwell in 2013, I wonder how much the Luis Castillo Oline coach disaster impacted him.

I also think Cam Cameron gets a bad rap. The Air Coryell system was pretty perfect for Flacco's skill set, featuring 9 routes, deep outs and play action. Ultimately, Cam fell into the same kind of trap as Roman; abandoning the running game at the wrong time.

The good ones don't tend to be - look around the NFL at most of the current head coaches. 

#29 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:35 PM

Only like 15% of coordinators make it past 3 years.  So yeah.

• Mike B likes this

#30 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:35 PM

Caldwell was an interesting one.  Replaced Cam and the offense soared to a SB.  Then the following year the offense stagnated again but it was enough to get the HC job in Detroit.  And they ultimately fired him after the rare back to back winning seasons including a playoff trip.

#31 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:37 PM

How about Matt Nagy?  Seems to check off a lot of boxes for us, and assuming Reid's management system isn't too different from Harbaugh's (not a stretch since Harbaugh is in his coaching tree) they seem like they could hit the ground running.  Former HC, OC would be an upgrade from his current position, was in a top tier system.

His offense was a complete disaster with Justin Fields.

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:38 PM

Nagy could work. I like him better than a lot of the the names being thrown around.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:38 PM

His offense was a complete disaster with Justin Fields.

Fields is a bum. His offense made Alex Smith and especially Mitch Trubisky look better than they were

#34 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:42 PM

Fields is a bum

Well yeah when the front office gives a rookie little help and the HC designs a horrible system for him to run.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:44 PM

The only thing with Nagy is I fully expect him to get the Chiefs OC gig once Beienimy is hired away as a HC this offseason.

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:46 PM

Well yeah when the front office gives a rookie little help and the HC designs a horrible system for him to run.

Mitch Trubisky made a Pro bowl in this system. And an actual deseving Pro Bowl nod. Mic drop

#37 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:54 PM

Mitch Trubisky made a Pro bowl in this system. And an actual deseving Pro Bowl nod. Mic drop

Might want to pick up the mic and look at the next three years of Chicago's offense under Nagy...

#38 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:57 PM

I doubt Roman listened much to fan angst and criticism.  But when your own players are throwing you directly under the bus tires, you've got a problem.  My guess is they gave him the option of "resigning" to save some face as opposed to the infamy of being fired. 

#39 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:59 PM

"The passing game we put together, the schemes we had were excellent." -John Harbaugh on Greg Roman's offense.....wow.

@primetime667083

#40 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 03:08 PM

"The passing game we put together, the schemes we had were excellent." -John Harbaugh on Greg Roman's offense.....wow.

That's just John playing politician.  It doesn't mean anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=