Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:17 PM

Per WNST text.

Ravens parting ways with Greg Roman.

I thought it was worth it's own thread. If not, Chris....feel free to delete or merge.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:23 PM

I kinda wish they wouldve trolled the Ravens fans throwing temper tandrums. For a few more days anyway. Obvious move. Lets get on with it.

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:31 PM

Leaves as likely the most undervalued coordinator that this organization has ever had. Not saying it wasn't time but the results overall were easily positive. Built an offense around a unique ballplayer that worked when that player was healthy.
  • Mike B likes this

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,342 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:32 PM

Wish him well - you can do much worse than Greg Roman, other than in the passing department, but on the whole, that is a true statement. He was probably the perfect coordinator to usher in the Lamar era, but needed to level up and develop him beyond the run concepts. He did quite well here. 

• BSLMikeLowe and Mike B like this

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:33 PM

The really good news is you guys get to hear me shut about him now.,  :grin:

• JStruds likes this

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:40 PM

I hope Roman lands on his feet.  I am also glad he has a year on his contract if he wants to sit out a year.  As someone who is goes to every home game and a couple of road games, I think the abuse he got from the stands and "fans" was over the top.  All that said, it was time for him to move on, and hopefully we get an aggressive, offensive coach who upgrades the passing attack.

I want to see Lamar in a traditional offense.  Let's see if his accuracy and downfield throwing takes a needed leap with more sophisticated routes for his receivers.

@mikeghg

#7 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:46 PM

The biggest issue for me was that the offense stagnated and then regressed a bit. It doesn't mean that the entire tenure was a disaster or anything, far from it. We set a single season rushing record and led the league in points scored for '19 and '20 combined. In the first part of 2021, the passing game had showed some progress but this year, after week 3, things took a turn.

Let's see a passing game with some better spacing, some concepts that scheme guys open and utilizes the RBs a bit more. I wonder if the new OC would try to keep some of the running concepts and blocking schemes.

If there any chance they just promote James Urban or Tee Martin?

• JStruds likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,272 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:49 PM

Sounds like Jim is about to have an opening on his offensive staff, so maybe they'll reunite. Though Roman wouldn't be the guy you'd want to replace Weiss, and they already have a good run-coordinator in Sherrone Moore.

#9 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:51 PM

The biggest issue for me was that the offense stagnated and then regressed a bit. It doesn't mean that the entire tenure was a disaster or anything, far from it. We set a single season rushing record and led the league in points scored for '19 and '20 combined. In the first part of 2021, the passing game had showed some progress but this year, after week 3, things took a turn.

Let's see a passing game with some better spacing, some concepts that scheme guys open and utilizes the RBs a bit more. I wonder if the new OC would try to keep some of the running concepts and blocking schemes.

If there any chance they just promote James Urban or Tee Martin?

I thought Urban and Martin were supposed to be the answer to those passing game issues. Nothing changed. Pass. 

They can stay on staff, but the Coordinator needs to be an outside hire who rewrites the playbook. Martin or Urban would probably just run the Roman playbook for continuity sake. Doesn't really solve the problem.

• BaltBird 24 and BSLJamieSieck like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#10 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:56 PM

I thought Urban and Martin were supposed to be the answer to those passing game issues. Nothing changed. Pass. 

They can stay on staff, but the Coordinator needs to be an outside hire who rewrites the playbook. Martin or Urban would probably just run the Roman playbook for continuity sake. Doesn't really solve the problem.

I agree. Tee Martin and Keith Williams were brought in to work on the passing game and work with WRs. Our group can't catch a cold half the time and it seems like the passing game has gotten worse, not better. I only opined on an internal hire because of how Harbaugh, and the organization in general are fans of continuity.

@primetime667083

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:58 PM

So the OCs that Harbaugh has hired:

Cam Cameron

Jim Caldwell (took over midseason)

Gary Kubiak

Marc Trestman

Marty Mornhinweg (took over midseason)

Greg Roman

The first five were all former HCs and Roman had two OC positions before.  He's never hired a positional coach who hasn't held an OC job before.  Caldwell and Mornhinweg were midseason replacements, already on the staff.  Roman was already on the staff and got promoted after Mornhinweg was fired after 2018.

Its interesting how different that philosophy has been compared to his DC hires, that were almost all in-house promotions, with McDonald being the only outside hire and that's a real technicality.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#12 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 01:58 PM

Greg Roman may be of the greatest run game tacticians I have ever been around at the NFL level. RBs and TEs love his system because they EAT. WRs absolutely hate it. That’s why free agent WRs didn’t want to go to or stay in Baltimore. It was never about Lamar Jackson.

• Mashed Potatoes and Mike B like this

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:00 PM

I wouldnt necessarily lump those guys in with Roman. Would be curious the style Martin ran in college. Look, they come in to help Roman but its still Romam's offense. Hes calling all the shots. All that said, Id prefer to go outside the organization.

#14 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:03 PM

Of the names I've seen thrown out there, Frank Reich, Brian Robinson and Bobby Slowik interest me the most. In no particular order.

No thanks on Byron Leftwich. And no thanks on an internal hire. Need some fresh eyes and ideas.

#15 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:04 PM

Cam Cameron

Gary Kubiak

Marc Trestman

Greg Roman

The first five were all former HCs and Roman had two OC positions before.  He's never hired a positional coach who hasn't held an OC job before.  Caldwell and Mornhinweg were midseason replacements, already on the staff.  Roman was already on the staff and got promoted after Mornhinweg was fired after 2018.

So Kubiak and Trestman have been the 2 true external hires, the others have been internal promotions. That perhaps lends some credence to another internal promotion.

However, given the heat that has been on the organization over the offense, I refuse to believe they're so tone deaf that they wouldn't seek out a fresh start. With that said, would it be at all surprising if the new hire is underwhelming?

@primetime667083

#16 Tranquil1

Tranquil1
  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrankford, Delaware

Cam Cameron

Gary Kubiak

Marc Trestman

Greg Roman

Look at that list. Does anyone think that Harbaugh will make a good choice?  We  have to hope that Harbaugh is the proverbial blind squirrel. LOL

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Reich would be a massive coup, and I'd love it even more on a personal level, but I don't see him taking an OC job.  

• Tranquil1 likes this

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:06 PM

Look at that list. Does anyone think that Harbaugh will make a good choice?  We  have to hope that Harbaugh is the proverbial blind squirrel. LOL

These were all good,well-qualified choices, IMO.  Not working out here over the long haul doesn't mean they weren't smart additions at the time.  Only Mornhinweg do I recall being apprehensive about, but its been a long time for any of them so hard to rely on memory.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:09 PM

Cam Cameron
Gary Kubiak
Marc Trestman
Greg Roman

The first five were all former HCs and Roman had two OC positions before. He's never hired a positional coach who hasn't held an OC job before. Caldwell and Mornhinweg were midseason replacements, already on the staff. Roman was already on the staff and got promoted after Mornhinweg was fired after 2018.

Its interesting how different that philosophy has been compared to his DC hires, that were almost all in-house promotions, with McDonald being the only outside hire and that's a real technicality.

Intersting stuff. I have to be honest, I think Urban and Martin get a long look. Especially Urban. Urban would be my fav to get the job as of now. Assuming he and Lamar get along.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 02:10 PM

Nobody was going to be able to do much with Joe after his knee injury. He fell off hard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=