#701 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 May 2023 - 11:48 PM

I feel like this is a failure on the Cardinals part. Trade talks were hot and heavy pre-draft. They overplayed their hand and refused to take the best offer. Even a 6th round pick would be better than nothing.

I feel fairly confident that before the Ravens signed OBJ they gave the Cards a pretty strong offer.  There was a lot of smoke around that fire.  And now they just end up releasing him?  Crazy.

#702 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 02:27 PM

On a recent appearance on the “I Am Athlete” podcast, free-agent WR DeAndre Hopkins listed the five QBs he’d most like to catch passes from: the Bills’ Josh Allen, the Eagles’ Jalen Hurts, the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes, the Ravens’ Lamar Jackson and the Chargers’ Justin Herbert.

Via Schefter

I don't think he's gonna cost that much. And when your WR room has, 1) OBJ, who will have last played 18 months ago by the time the season starts, 2) Rashod Bateman who has barely played in half of games so far, and 3) Duvernay coming off a season-ending injury, you want all the proven production you can reasonably accumulate, and in that sense there is literally no comparison between Deandre Hopkins and Nelson Agholor.

I'm fully prepared to come back here and eat crow if he ends up in purple. I just don't see it happening. 

#703 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 02:30 PM

And neither is the cost of the two, Agholor was signed to give depth to our receiver's room.    He isa decent player who will help, Hopkins is going to want $$$.  One has nothing to do with the other in regards to signing with the Ravens..

Exactly. At the end of the day it's still a business.

#704 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 02:31 PM

I'm fully prepared to come back here and eat crow if he ends up in purple. I just don't see it happening. 

I have no clue why he'd want to come to Baltimore now.  A year ago, it would have been a good fit.  He's going to go to a team where's he's the top dog.  That would be impossible with the Ravens and he's knows that.  I guess stranger things have happened but I just don't see it nor do I think EDC wants to spend the money on a position that looks pretty well set.  There's greater needs elsewhere. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#705 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:35 AM

I think the Ravens are the front runner given Lamar’s relationship with him.

I think we need him too. OBJ and Bateman are both questions due to injury and while I am high on Flowers he is still a rookie. DHop instantly becomes WR1!

#706 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 11:33 PM

If you believe the NFL rumor sites, and despite a lot of people not believing them they do have a fairly good track record, the Bills and Cowboys are the even money favorites to land Hopkins.  Buffalo papers have reported that Allen is willing to restructure to free up cap room for him.  Dallas is looking for a receiver to compliment CeDee Lamb the way Amari Cooper did.  After that KC has talked to Hopkins and the Ravens, Jets, and Patriots appear to be in the mix.  

Hopkins pretty much wants at least the contract that OBJ got from the Ravens.  If the Ravens hadn't signed OBJ, I would think they move up in the order.  But I'm not sure they can put that much money into two receivers with a recent history of so many games missed.  That's not smart.  Hopkins had 700+ and 500+ yards the past two seasons.  There is no reason to believe he will be on the field for any more games this year.  

#707 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:43 PM

IMO, the Ravens wouldn't have wasted their time with OBJ if they thought they could land Hopkins. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#708 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:50 AM

Ravens.com: Late for Work 5/29: Media Contemplate Whether Ravens Should Pursue DeAndre Hopkins

https://www.baltimor...rsue-free-agent

Ravens.com: 50 Words or Less: Lamar Jackson's Aerial Show Is Ready for Takeoff

https://www.baltimor...off-todd-monken

CBS Sports: DeAndre Hopkins released: Only these two teams had real trade talks for ex-Cardinals receiver, per report

https://www.cbssport...ver-per-report/

#709 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:16 AM

I think we pass on Hopkins and work to spend our capital on rush end, and DB.

• PrimeTime and jamesdean like this
@mikeghg

#710 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:39 AM

I think we pass on Hopkins and work to spend our capital on rush end, and DB.

As well they should. The Hopkins talk is baffling

#711 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:52 AM

I may be proved wrong, but this feels like Media and Twitter stuff.  I don't think the Ravens are involved.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#712 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:54 PM

I don’t see how it’s baffling considering the injury history of our top 2 WR’s. Not gonna be mad if he gets picked up by someone else but he is the most certain commodity in the WR room the instant he come in, if he come in.

#713 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:41 PM

I may be proved wrong, but this feels like Media and Twitter stuff.  I don't think the Ravens are involved.

Agreed

#714 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:10 AM

I don’t see how it’s baffling considering the injury history of our top 2 WR’s. Not gonna be mad if he gets picked up by someone else but he is the most certain commodity in the WR room the instant he come in, if he come in.

It's baffling because you have more pressing needs to supplement CB and EDGE; where you are thinner and have similar injury concerns. You can't put remaining resources into the WR room at this point, especially considering what you've already done this off-season. You also have to consider that Andrews, Likely and even Charlie Kolar can contribute as pass catchers. Lastly, there's only 1 football and we're not all of the sudden going to become an offense that chucks it around 45 times per game.

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and JStruds like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#715 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:17 AM

It's baffling because you have more pressing needs to supplement CB and EDGE; where you are thinner and have similar injury concerns. You can't put remaining resources into the WR room at this point, especially considering what you've already done this off-season. You also have to consider that Andrews, Likely and even Charlie Kolar can contribute as pass catchers. Lastly, there's only 1 football and we're not all of the sudden going to become an offense that chucks it around 45 times per game.

I think its fair to wonder if an addition that is possibly the magnitude that Nuke Hopkins can be albeit at a position that isn't directly a need right now (but would be if recently-injured players get injured again) is a better addition than likely less talented guys at positions with more clearly pressing depth or even starting level concerns.

I find myself wondering if its possible to do all of it.  Well, of course it is.  But at what cost to future cap space, is the real question?

• Hooded Viper and PrimeTime like this

#716 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 11:22 AM

Agreed. The last thing the team needs to spend money on is another WR. 

• Mike B likes this

#717 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 07:05 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston’s Ravens observations on QB Lamar Jackson’s improvement, roster battles and more | COMMENTARY

#718 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 07 June 2023 - 09:31 AM

Agreed. The last thing the team needs to spend money on is another WR. 

I didn't even think about potentially supplementing the LG spot. It would be nice if Ben Cleveland could seize the starting job but I don't think we can rely on that. Do we turn to Mekari and sacrifice his versatility as the "6th man"? The current situation at the G spot consists of 3 unheralded rookies and FA pickup John Simpson, who was waived by Vegas. Simpson does have some starts under his belt so he should be in the mix. Also, maybe Sam Mustipher could slide over from center and compete for the LG spot.

At any rate, I'm definitely a bit uncomfortable with the LG situation.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#719 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 11:14 AM

I would bet a fair amount of money that both Peters and Houston will be back on this team which will fill the remaining holes on D. I also think there are enough candidates for left guard on the current roster. Hopkins is a luxury, no doubt, not if they can afford it then do it!!

That being said, I no longer think the Ravens are interested.

#720 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 12:23 PM

I mean no expectations but they also recently signed Treadwell. The Hopkins ship has surely sailed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=