• Please log in to reply
2648 replies to this topic

#461 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:00 AM

Very strong opinion: Hell no and wtf. A fringe contender with Lamar?

I think with Lamar, they are one of the 8-10 teams you'd go into '23 thinking would have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. Where it would be possible to imagine.  But I don't think anyone would consider them one of the true favorites. 

#462 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:02 AM

Absolutely not. When have they ever been sellers? They’ve won 2 Super Bowls doing things the way they do things. This isn’t baseball.

#463 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:07 AM

Absolutely not. When have they ever been sellers? They’ve won 2 Super Bowls doing things the way they do things. This isn’t baseball.

Years are kind of blending for me at this point, but 2002? Couple years after the first SB.  Had cap issues, had to say good bye to some pieces. Got younger, cheaper. 

• DuffMan likes this

#464 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:11 AM

Its just the complete wrong time to do it. I advocated doing it by cutting Joe a year early and taking on a bigger cap hit. 2017. That team never had a chance of making any real noise even if they had got in. I just dont get the thought process at all with where the roster is with Lamar under center. But good point it not being baseball. There is no doubt you can sell in football but the reward is draft picks and 2nd-3rd round ones at that for very good players. I dont think Andrews, Stanley or Marlo are netting you anything better than what we gave up for Roquan.

#465 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:13 AM

Years are kind of blending for me at this point, but 2002? Couple years after the first SB. Had cap issues, had to say good bye to some pieces. Got younger, cheaper.

That was the result of aggressive cap spending the years prior all coming due, they had to make tons of cuts(weren't any trades that I recall, at least not for a haul of picks that would matter) and afterwards they basically publicly declared they'd never do it again even though they managed a halfway decent season with 7 or 8 wins.

The team is in far better roster and cap position now than that roster was back then, IMO.

Selling at the deadline if Lamar is holding out (or has a major early season injury) might make some sense. There is no benefit to doing so now.

#466 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:22 AM

That was the result of aggressive cap spending the years prior all coming due, they had to make tons of cuts(weren't any trades that I recall, at least not for a haul of picks that would matter) and afterwards they basically publicly declared they'd never do it again even though they managed a halfway decent season with 7 or 8 wins.

The team is in far better roster and cap position now than that roster was back then, IMO.

Selling at the deadline if Lamar is holding out (or has a major early season injury) might make some sense. There is no benefit to doing so now.

Yep, no real trades, just cuts, and an organizational reset. 

(That was actually a fun season.) 

There are a lot of good pieces on the roster.  Agreed there. 

And I think your point of waiting until the deadline at-least makes sense too.

#467 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:22 AM

I think with Lamar, they are one of the 8-10 teams you'd go into '23 thinking would have a chance at winning the Super Bowl. Where it would be possible to imagine. But I don't think anyone would consider them one of the true favorites.

I would say that was the case the years they won it all too. Just like today, they weren’t really even favorites in the division.

No to selling btw. Only consider it if they got rid of Lamar, depends on what they were able to do at QB.

#468 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:29 AM

I would say that was the case the years they won it all too. Just like today, they weren’t really even favorites in the division.

Maybe. I thought going into '00 they were contenders based on how they had finished the year prior, and their off-season additions. By the time they beat Jacksonville at home, I thought they had as good of a chance as anyone, even during the subsequent td drought. 

In '12, that team gets remembered for their post-season run... but that felt to me like the culmination of a multi-year run, of the team being consistently in the mix. The regular season was slog, but always thought that team could go anywhere and have a chance. 

Similarly, yes... if Lamar is at QB for the Ravens in '23, I'll think they have a punchers chance or more vs. anyone.
(Even more so, if they can get a healthy Jackson, Stanley, Dobbins, Andrews, Bateman regularly on the field together.)

Pretty much at every level, the Ravens have some legitimate talent.
I like a lot of the youth. 

They certainly have a chance to be very good, even with some of the existing questions.

#469 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:51 AM

Maybe. I thought going into '00 they were contenders based on how they had finished the year prior, and their off-season additions. By the time they beat Jacksonville at home, I thought they had as good of a chance as anyone, even during the subsequent td drought.

In '12, that team gets remembered for their post-season run... but that felt to me like the culmination of a multi-year run, of the team being consistently in the mix. The regular season was slog, but always thought that team could go anywhere and have a chance.

Similarly, yes... if Lamar is at QB for the Ravens in '23, I'll think they have a punchers chance or more vs. anyone.
(Even more so, if they can get a healthy Jackson, Stanley, Dobbins, Andrews, Bateman regularly on the field together.)

Pretty much at every level, the Ravens have some legitimate talent.
I like a lot of the youth.

They certainly have a chance to be very good, even with some of the existing questions.

Honestly I don’t remember the perception prior to 2000. But their two division rivals had just met in the AFCCG and they hadn’t even made the playoffs yet I think, so it seems like it would have been tough to see them as legit yet.

2012 I agree with you. They probably don’t win it all without the failures of the prior years. My fear at the time was that the Cundiff shank closed the window. Ray and Ed were clearly nearing the end, Suggs was probably the best player at that point and then tore his Achilles. On the plus side they were battle tested and clearly feared no one in the playoffs so you knew they could do damage and compete with anybody.

That’s a big difference with today. In any particular game Lamar is capable of being the best player and taking over, but it’s a bit of a crapshoot what you’re going to get in the playoffs.

#470 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 11:55 AM

How is being "battle tested" working out for Josh Allen and Buf. Im not saying there is nothing to that but its mostly narrative. Philly wasnt hardened in any way from previous years and shuldve won the SB. Same for their '17 team that did win the SB

#471 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 02:46 PM

This isn’t the Orioles, or baseball. No.
  • mdrunning likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#472 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 06:17 PM

I couldn't answer this intelligently not knowing Lamar's status. This is a team that made the playoffs with Tyler Huntley behind center for almost half the season. I disagree it's a "fringe" playoff team with Lamar. 

#473 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:01 PM

Didn't say they were a fringe playoff team with Lamar.

Said fringe contender.

#474 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:26 PM

Put me in the F no category! I feel like we are a wide receiver trade (Hopkins/Sutton) and draft additions (CB/WR) from being away. I fully expect Lamar to return, these additions, and the new offensive system to propel this team deep into the playoffs.

Edit, shot a 78 today in golf so feeling really optimistic at the moment 😝
  • BSLJamieSieck likes this

#475 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:27 PM

Didn't say they were a fringe playoff team with Lamar.

Said fringe contender.

Same thing imo and I still disagree. They have a solid O line, not perfect. A solid defense, also not perfect, solid running game, but the roster minus the WR position looks to be a contender to me and not a fringe one. . 

#476 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 10:38 PM

Even if the Ravens were to go into sell mode, who exactly would they be selling?

#477 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:31 AM

Even if the Ravens were to go into sell mode, who exactly would they be selling?

Bowser
Dobbins 
Duvernay
Queen

Stanley 

Like all of them... in particular I'm really excited for Dobbins '23, and I believe in building teams lines out, so would be really tough to part with Stanley.

Don't expect Queen to stay with the Ravens.  Not sure Dobbins will either.
Bowser is a swiss army knife that helps, but maybe you move him and get out from that contract. 
Duvernay progressed as a receiver, is a weapon, and is great on teams... but not sure you are going to find a deal there either. 

People say the league caught up to the '19 offense... I think primarily what happened is that Stanley and the RBs missed a lot of games. Having a real quality LT makes a big difference.  But if Stanley rebuilt his stock with his play last year, I might look to move him, and try and get younger at the position. 

Build around Andrews, Bateman, Hamilton, Humphrey, Likely, Linderbaum, Madubuike, Ojabo, Oweh, R. Smith, M. Williams + the picks + the additional cap.

#478 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:42 PM

Same thing imo and I still disagree. They have a solid O line, not perfect. A solid defense, also not perfect, solid running game, but the roster minus the WR position looks to be a contender to me and not a fringe one. . 

I don't think we're better than Cincy, Buffalo or KC. During the Lamar era, we haven't been able to get past the divisional round and the roster hasn't gotten better since the end of last season. Of course there's still off-season left to go but as of this moment, we're no better than 10 win team. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#479 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:48 PM

Is there really such a thing as selling and rebuilding in football? It's not like you're stocking a farm system. If you don't have a top draft pick you aren't likely to strike an immediate impact player in the draft.
  • Mackus likes this

#480 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:51 PM

They won't. Never been in their DNA. Without Lamar, I don't know where they turn for a QB though. And even if they get someone passable, their ceiling is still what it was last season, one-and-done on wild card weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=