2648 replies to this topic

#41 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:14 AM

I’m very well aware that if Harbaugh gets fired, another team will want to hire him.

That doesn’t mean the Ravens have to hang onto to him.

Frankly, the only thing he’s got in his favor is winning percentage and one championship. He’s not young, he doesn’t manage games well, he isn’t a play caller on either side of the ball. He certainly can’t be trusted to hire his own coordinators and be successful.

His strongest attribute is being a leader of men. That’s in question with this locker room at this point which is why he doesn’t fit here anymore.

So yeah. If you look at win percentage only, he’s great. If you start peeling back the onion it’ll make you cringe.

Wasn't there a near mutiny during the championship season?  Is he really that much of a leader?

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 11:09 AM

I mean again beating on Roman is beating a dead horse at this point. He is gone. Quite frankly the in season calls to remove him dont ring true in any way. For one, once Lamar went down we were never going to be able to do enough to make a real run. But ignoring that this offense is unique and built in a way Roman wants to run it. He is the architect. I just dont think you can go in a different direction in season in his custom, unique offense and think you are going to do better. Especially running Huntley out there at QB.

So Marty Mornhingweg, a complete moron in his own right, is a more competent OC than Roman. Because they did just that in the span of a bye week and finished a season 7-1 and back in the playoffs. (Then decided not to change the game plan against the Chargers from two weeks prior and they owned them, because he is a complete moron and Harbaugh doesn't hold them accountable for anything)

Yes, they weren't going anywhere with Huntley anyway, but he should have never been on the team this year to begin with. 

But hey, stability. Lets extend LJ and Huntley together. They play against each other in high school once. Ain't it a cool story? 

• PrimeTime likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#43 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 11:12 AM

Wasn't there a near mutiny during the championship season?  Is he really that much of a leader?

I think more or less as a special teams coach he was used to working with the bottom ten guys on the roster a lot. So he gets the most out of those guys. Maybe why so many UDFAs end up playing a role on the team over the years. 

But yeah. Veterans, probably don't buy his brand of BS. Marcus Peters 100% DGAF about Harbaugh. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#44 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 11:20 AM

I'm personally not a fan of in season firings, although I wouldn't have lost any sleep on it. I think this game was needed to emphasize why Roman needs to go. I said it in the other thread that as bad as it sounded I almost wished they would lose the game just so it would hasten Roman's departure. Half my wish happened, let's see about the other half. 

#45 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 January 2023 - 11:51 AM

I mean again beating on Roman is beating a dead horse at this point. He is gone. Quite frankly the in season calls to remove him dont ring true in any way. For one, once Lamar went down we were never going to be able to do enough to make a real run. But ignoring that this offense is unique and built in a way Roman wants to run it. He is the architect. I just dont think you can go in a different direction in season in his custom, unique offense and think you are going to do better. Especially running Huntley out there at QB.

I was espousing a change at the bye week, well before LJ got hurt. Also, it's not like you would've changed the entire offense, just put fresh eyes on the playbook.  And we already had the precedent of doing just that in 2012 successfully. Then, as Mike mentioned, we literally changed the entire offense mid stream in 2018.

It's moot at this point but the offense itself was fine but the play sequencing and game strategy simply sucked. Again, a fresh set of eyes or anyone with eyes for that matter, could see that the way Roman utilized (or didn't utilize) players has been horrendous and the lack of feel for the game in front of him is obvious.

• makoman likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#46 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:05 PM

Lest we forget, Super Bowl 47 and Greg Roman calling an inside handoff to LaMichal James and then 3 straight passing plays when he had the best mobile QB in the game and Frank Gore at his disposal...

I've been pointing this out for years now. It's mind boggling that Roman so consistently takes his best skill position players out of the equation HIMSELF in the red zone. San Fran wins SB 47 most likely if he keeps the ball in the hands of Gore and Kaepernick the last four plays. And Harbaugh blows a 22 point second half lead in the Superbowl.

It's an endless cycle of deja vu with these two. The only thing that's kept this team contending the last 4 years is Lamar.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#47 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:49 PM

Has Steve Saunders been fired yet? What’s taking so long?
@BSLMikeRandall

#48 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:38 PM

Has Steve Saunders been fired yet? What’s taking so long?

One of the reasons I'm starting to flip on Harbaugh is because of the injury situation and his defense of Steve Saunders. It's inexcusable and I think him throwing 3 starters under the bus over injury rehab while keeping a s&c coach that single-handedly lost us a game in 2020 is an absolute travesty.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#49 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:18 PM

Just finished a 4 hour drive and was SO hoping to check the forums to see a new thread titled "Roman Fired". Just have to keep dreaming...

#50 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:51 PM

Someone out there was clever enough to isolate this Harbs statement about he 2012 OC change late in the season. This would have applied to the Roman era. Know where you need to go, but just can't get there (because the OC refuses to turn the wheel a bit).

https://twitter.com/...030647482892288
  • Mike in STL likes this

#51 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 09:24 AM

Ugh. Maybe we find out this afternoon.

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
A bit of bookkeeping ahead of the #Ravens season-ending press conference today: Offensive coordinator Greg Roman has one year remaining on his contract at $3.5 million, sources say. Doesn’t mean he sticks but the notion his contract is up is not accurate.
9:05 AM · Jan 19, 2023

https://twitter.com/...074310325600258

#52 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 09:29 AM

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
A bit of bookkeeping ahead of the #Ravens season-ending press conference today: Offensive coordinator Greg Roman has one year remaining on his contract at $3.5 million, sources say. Doesn’t mean he sticks but the notion his contract is up is not accurate.

Damn It!!!!!!!!!!!

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:04 AM

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

I still think he goes.

@mikeghg

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:07 AM

Wink had one year left and Biscotti, Harbs and I guess EDC wanted him to have a net in case he did not land a job.  I would imagine the same holds true for Roman. The Ravens pride themselves on having class and I think this fits.

@mikeghg

#55 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:42 AM

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo

That's devastating news.  DEVASTATING NEWS.  And I'm not being dramatic for effect.  :)

#56 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:50 AM

That's devastating news. DEVASTATING NEWS. And I'm not being dramatic for effect. :)

I genuinely wonder how Lamar feels about Roman.

#57 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:57 AM

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo

I can assure you Roman wont be back
  • Dupin likes this

#58 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2023 - 11:02 AM

There’s nothing devastating about it. The Ravens will do what is right. They aren’t running this back because a year is left on his deal. Crazy talk.

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 11:16 AM

I can assure you Roman wont be back

Ok. But If he does come back you’re going to look like a fool and have zero credibility. :)
@BSLMikeRandall

#60 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 11:32 AM

Ok. But If he does come back you’re going to look like a fool and have zero credibility. :)

Reminds me of how we can "book it" that the Orioles are going to sign a big time FA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=