2648 replies to this topic

#21 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:51 AM

Funny Payton is mentioned because should John pull a Payton for whatever reason he would be in demand and we would get a nice return. Yet some of you want to fire him and let him go for nothing. Understand that please. Understand the value he has around the league. I doubt he wants to go but if he did the Ravens would absolutely get compensation.

Harbaugh is a quality coach. But what does he add relative to a coach like Payton? I guess that's hard for any of us to answer, but we know their strengths and backgrounds.

• cprenegade likes this

#22 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:57 AM

Harbaugh is a quality coach. But what does he add relative to a coach like Payton? I guess that's hard for any of us to answer, but we know their strengths and backgrounds.

I think Harbaugh would be a good coach anywhere he goes.  I just think it has gone a little stale in Baltimore.  Team isn't up there with Buffalo, KC, or Cincy in the AFC, but they can play with any of them on given days.  I think maybe a different philosophy moving forward might be a big help.  

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:57 AM

Harbs is far from perfect. He won a SB before Lamar, then IMO was the perfect coach for Lamar, who legit wasn’t on anyone’s radar as an MVP kind of prospect. Harbaugh transitioned beautifully to align Lamar’s skillset to an entirely different system than we had seen here previously, and took this franchise to unprecedented regular season heights. It was a beautiful thing. Harbaugh, on the whole deserves a lot of credit and appreciation.

I’m very frustrated at this point and chances are needed. In the past he’s shown to be adaptable and he needs to be now. If he isn’t open to big changes, then he can go too. But I’m not there yet.

#24 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 02:11 AM

I just look around the league and see the best teams these days seem to be run by a HC with extensive football background in offensive or defensive expertise.

Every head coach has to be a CEO, so to speak, and you take on a role beyond what a coordinator or position coach necessarily is responsible for. And I don't want to take anything away from Harbs football knowledge because the man played college ball.

But it would be nice to have some more creativity and cutting edge innovation on either side of the ball, particularly offense.

#25 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:42 AM

Harbaugh gets yet another "get out of jail" card because of Lamar's injury.  Bisciotti isn't going to fire him since he did make the playoffs without his franchise quarterback so that's the end of that discussion.  Does he tell Harbs that it's time to change the program and instill a different system with tweaks in certain areas?  Probably.  But most important, he's going to shit can Roman and I hope Bisciotti insists that the new hire has to come from outside the organization.  No more of this promoting a lower rung guy who's never run an offense before. That would be Harbaugh's preference for sure.  He definitely wouldn't have hired Kubiak if it had been up to him.  So, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I would be shocked if Roman is retained. 

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:04 AM

I cant have a stronger position and belief that Harbaugh is highly valued around the league and we would be compensated should for whatever reason he wanted to move on. If thats what he wants then the Ravens probably will try to accommodate him. Many here would drive him to the airport but asking for so much turnover is likely asking for trouble. That goes for those wanting to move on from him, Lamar, or both.

#27 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:27 AM

If Harbaugh wants to stay, he'll be here.

Roman 100% should be gone. Not using Dobbins in the redzone on the fateful drive is inexcusable. I'm not sure it's possible to stop Dobbins for less than a yard.

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:36 AM

If Harbaugh wants to stay, he'll be here.

Roman 100% should be gone. Not using Dobbins in the redzone on the fateful drive is inexcusable. I'm not sure it's possible to stop Dobbins for less than a yard.

Harbaugh will undoubtedly be here. Im just letting some here know how he is viewed and valued around the league. Sometimes it gets to an Andy Reid in Philly situation and its best to move on despite knowing the guy you are letting go will be snatched up immediatedly. We arent there with John.

#29 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:08 AM

I’m very well aware that if Harbaugh gets fired, another team will want to hire him.

That doesn’t mean the Ravens have to hang onto to him.

Frankly, the only thing he’s got in his favor is winning percentage and one championship. He’s not young, he doesn’t manage games well, he isn’t a play caller on either side of the ball. He certainly can’t be trusted to hire his own coordinators and be successful.

His strongest attribute is being a leader of men. That’s in question with this locker room at this point which is why he doesn’t fit here anymore.

So yeah. If you look at win percentage only, he’s great. If you start peeling back the onion it’ll make you cringe.
  • Ravens2006 and makoman like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#30 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:13 AM

Why would Harbaugh inherently get another pass because of injuries? Billick didn't get a free pass after McNair broke down and he was left with Boller and Smith in 2007. Hell, Billick actually went 9-7 and 10-6 with a division title and a playoff appearance with Boller and Anthony Wright as the QBs, so he actually had some success "without a QB". Which Harbaugh has never had here by the way, he is WAY below .500 when Flacco or Jackson are in street clothes. Now the answer is likely that Bisciotti didn't hire Billick, so he was probably itching to put his own stamp on the team. But 15 seasons is more than enough time to justify a new direction there. It's not about his record, but the flaws we see in game that repeat week after week, year after year...

Way, way, way beyond time to move on with a new HC. Sure, Harbaugh will get another job quickly. Good for him. His game management/lack thereof issues will continue, and the next team will find out who he really is. The Ravens should already know, and the consistent flaws should be enough...
  • Mike in STL likes this

#31 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:18 AM

I’m very well aware that if Harbaugh gets fired, another team will want to hire him.

That doesn’t mean the Ravens have to hang onto to him.

Frankly, the only thing he’s got in his favor is winning percentage and one championship. He’s not young, he doesn’t manage games well, he isn’t a play caller on either side of the ball. He certainly can’t be trusted to hire his own coordinators and be successful.

His strongest attribute is being a leader of men. That’s in question with this locker room at this point which is why he doesn’t fit here anymore.

So yeah. If you look at win percentage only, he’s great. If you start peeling back the onion it’ll make you cringe.

Dude's been riding a train powered by a very, very good front office. When you're handed very good and sometimes loaded rosters, you're going to win most games. But he doesn't add anything positive to help tip the scales.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#32 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:20 AM

Dobbins only getting one touch inside the five yard line should be a fireable offense for both the OC and HC.

Full freakin stop. 

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:21 AM

The only way Harbaugh is actually fired is if Bisciotti has a similar reaction as I did about the over-the-top playcall. He was certainly still in on Harbaugh before that, but the Billick example is a good one. He had a good coach that he liked a lot and had supported up until he flipped and no longer does.

I have no expectations of a change, but I'm on the side of wanting one now. Harbaugh's gotta earn me back if he gets the opportunity.

#34 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:23 AM

Dobbins only getting one touch inside the five yard line should be a fireable offense for both the OC and HC.

Full freakin stop.

The game earlier in the season where Gus and JK got like two touches combined in the second half (or something similarly inexplicable) should have been enough the following day. And without changes, we'll have THE SAME FRUSTRATED DISCUSSIONS next year. In September, and October, and November, and December, and maybe in January of 2024.

#35 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:32 AM

If Bisciotti keeps Roman as OC next season - I will be amazed.  I would like to see the Ravens tag Lamar and bring in a new OC to see what Lamar can do with a different OC.  I think Harbaugh is given one more year to see if the team can do better next season. 

• Mackus likes this

#36 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:47 AM

It is getting hard for me to count the losses, both in the regular season, and in the playoffs in which a case can be made that we would have won except for questionable/bizarro decision-making regarding either play calls or time management. That falls on Harbaugh and the coaching staff.

I'm watching these games wondering what stupid decision is going to cost them the win.

I think Harbaugh has done some great things in Baltimore but to me it has become similar to the Buck Showalter situation. Buck brought winning baseball back to Baltimore but some of his decision making was questionable. After the Jimenez/Toronto playoff fiasco it was clear that he had lost the fans and at least some of the club house and it was time for a fresh start. I think that's where we are with Harbaugh.

#37 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:53 AM

JK Dobbins did not play at all last week as the Ravens rested their starters. He had 13 carries tonight. Sure glad they rested him for his 13 carries. :)

Don't even get me started.

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:07 AM

If John has lost the locker room then he needs to go. It's what got Billick fired too.

Short of that happening, John Boy isn't going anywhere.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#39 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:50 AM

Lest we forget, Super Bowl 47 and Greg Roman calling an inside handoff to LaMichal James and then 3 straight passing plays when he had the best mobile QB in the game and Frank Gore at his disposal. 

A move should've happened mid-season when there was a chance to revive the offense but instead, the organization went down with the ship. We know the issues at the macro level but at the micro level, the Ravens had every opportunity to move onto the divisional round with their backup under center and that collection of stiffs at WR. Despite that, Roman and company didn't utilize their best playmaker inside the 10 yard line (JK's 1 touch in those situations was a TD). Also, Isiah Likely disappeared yet again; zero targets for the promising TE.

Change is needed, perhaps at the top as well. Albeit, I would retain Macdonald.

• makoman likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:09 AM

I mean again beating on Roman is beating a dead horse at this point. He is gone. Quite frankly the in season calls to remove him dont ring true in any way. For one, once Lamar went down we were never going to be able to do enough to make a real run. But ignoring that this offense is unique and built in a way Roman wants to run it. He is the architect. I just dont think you can go in a different direction in season in his custom, unique offense and think you are going to do better. Especially running Huntley out there at QB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=