• PrimeTime likes this

#2 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:18 PM

Looking like it's gonna be Anthony Brown starting again.

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:13 AM

Looking like it's gonna be Anthony Brown starting again.

And another 40 or 50 pass attempts. 

#4 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 10:18 AM

And another 40 or 50 pass attempts. 

Well, that's because The Greg will have Brown throwing at least half the time on the opening drive, GUARANTEED to air it out after the very first rush attempt that doesn't gain 4 or more yards (because at that point, you know they have your running game stuffed for the day)... any combination of sacks, turnovers, poor field position, etc will get them down by at least 7 early.  At which point YOU HAVE TO THROW THE BALL!!!  Right?

Throw the ball and fall behind.  Can't run once you fall behind OBVIOUSLY, so throw it more.  Rinse and repeat.  It's how Harbs and Roman operate in "big" games.

• bmore_ken likes this

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:20 AM

Well, that's because The Greg will have Brown throwing at least half the time on the opening drive, GUARANTEED to air it out after the very first rush attempt that doesn't gain 4 or more yards (because at that point, you know they have your running game stuffed for the day)... any combination of sacks, turnovers, poor field position, etc will get them down by at least 7 early.  At which point YOU HAVE TO THROW THE BALL!!!  Right?

Throw the ball and fall behind.  Can't run once you fall behind OBVIOUSLY, so throw it more.  Rinse and repeat.  It's how Harbs and Roman operate in "big" games.

Sometimes I think Roman is too worried about pleasing players involved in the passing game(especially when Lamar is out there) than doing the right thing for the greater good of the team.  The combination of him and Lamar is probably reached the unhealthy stage because one desperately wants to prove he's an elite passer and the other wants to prove him right.  Maybe now it's time to prove Anthony Brown can be a great passer.  Oh, that's right.  This is a play-off game.  I almost forgot.  Good thing Greg knows that and will run the ball 40 times.  :roll:

#6 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:57 PM

The problem with the game plan vs the Steelers was that we ran the ball on almost every 1st down. Then, if it was 2nd and 7 or more, we would throw, less than 7 yards to go, we'd run again. I know it's ideal for us to have a run heavy game plan but we have to be willing to throw the ball on 1st down; particularly if the Bengals are loading the box or using a heavy personnel package. Play action on 1st down could be extremely effective. 

Bottom line, I don't want to reject anything out of pocket. This is a kitchen sink kind of game, throw whatever we can at them. I don't want to run the ball just for the sake of running it, I want to see us effectively moving the ball. If Brown gets the start over Huntley, I think it's a higher risk but higher potential reward as Brown clearly has a better arm than Huntley. 

• Bmore Irish and JStruds like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#7 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 02:30 PM

The Pittsburgh game is a great example of why you can't just run.  You have to be able to throw a little or the defense will key on the run.  We've seen it happen other times.  The Buffalo playoff game was another example, and that was with Lamar.   It's the same way with a throw it all the time offense.   You have to be able to run or the defense will simply key on blitzing and dropping into coverage.  

In the Pittsburgh game Dobbins ran for 93 yards on 17 carries.  He averaged 5.4 yards per carry.  On the surface that looks like the Ravens were winning the run game.  But not really.  66 yards of that came on 4 carries.  As I said on another thread, the median function better analyzes how a running game is working.  It gives the middle number of which half of the data points are over, and half are under.  The median on Dobbins runs was 3 yards per carry.  That means half of those 17 runs went for 3 or less yards.

Maybe the Ravens had Brown throwing that much to make the Bengals think that's what they would do this weekend.  In reality they are going to come out running.  But if the Bengals don't bite, they will have to throw.  Maybe not every down, every series, but they will have to throw of they could simply fall too far behind to have any chance to catch up.  

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 02:34 PM

Granted we don't have the personnel to do this but I wouldn't hate an opening drive deep shot. If it connects, great. You gained a bunch of yards in a game where they'll be hard to come by and you'll force Bengals to rethink stacking box. If it draws a flag, great. Basically the same thing. If you have an incompletion, no big deal. Maybe even then it forces Bengals to be aware of deep ball. If you get picked off, OK, well it's basically a punt.

If you HAVE to pass, do it in a way to make the Bengals rethink their strategy so it opens up the running game some more.

• PrimeTime and mdrunning like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 January 2023 - 02:52 PM

Gus Edwards is back on the practice field. Wearing the red, non contact jersey but on the field nonetheless. To at least have the JK-Gus, 1-2 punch would be nice.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 07:56 PM

Jackson basically confirming he's not playing via tweet.

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 08:04 PM

Jackson basically confirming he's not playing via tweet.

No surprise there.  Someone should tell John, though. 

#12 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 08:08 PM

I agree that the key to the Ravens winning this game is the offensive play calling. They have to play to Huntley's skills, simplify what the quarterback has to do. Put all the sophistication they've got into running the ball, especially blocking schemes to open holes. Give Dobbins or Edwards a hole to run through and it's as good as a pass. Try to keep Burrow off the field with some eight minute drives, and finish with touchdowns.

• jamesdean and bmore_ken like this

#13 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 06:40 PM

The Bengals won the battle last week but the Ravens will win the war. This game was never going to be all about Lamar Jackson, healthy or not. The Ravens run game is as rested and healthy as it can be after sitting players down last week. The blue print was also made last week. If Drake and Hill can have success imagine what JK and Gus can do. Add Andrews to the mix of tight ends that had success last week and that's all they need in the passing game.

On defense it's all about getting pressure on Burrow because they won't be able to run against the Ravens. Their offensive line is decimated and Ojabo will be the x factor. Line him up on the left and he'll stay in Burrow's face all night. Lastly, score first and put the pressure on the Bengals and to stay in position to keep the focus on the run game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=