57 replies to this topic

#41 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:10 AM

I guess I'm not buying into Lamar saving the day like many are clinging to.  

I don't think anyone is assuming that's how the situation will play out. More that both times we've faced them, Our defense pretty much humbled Burrow and he hasn't looked like an all Pro qb either time, (DISCLAIMER)In My Opinion. Brown in my opinion stumbled early, but seemed to have turned it around later in the game. Those stumbles might not have happened if we had a different OC, but I don't want to play my broken record again since I know you guys are sick of it. I'm in the minority, but in my opinion the Bengals can be beat with either of the three QBs. It all comes down to play calling. If we play to our offensive strength, Burrow has less time with the ball. If Roman pulls out his Greatest Show On Turf impression, it doesn't matter who the QB is. 

• jamesdean likes this

#42 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:11 AM

That's fair. 

I wonder if we're overestimating Cincy a little bit. Granted, they've had a nice run since the bye week and they don't need to apologize for winning games but they haven't been dominating, per se. Being down 2 starting offensive linemen is a big X factor in this game. Also, if Peters and Stephens return, obviously the secondary improves. Adding Ojabo to the edge rotation is also a big plus for the Ravens.

The negatives for Baltimore, besides Lamar's status, are the steaming pile of WRs and Edwards' status. Hopefully, Gus flies through the protocol and is ready to roll on Sunday night. We will really need the JK-Gus, 1-2 punch and not just for the rushing attack but also to utilize play action, which I believe will be a key to the offensive performance on Sunday night.

No matter who's taking the snaps, I feel like there's an intangible factor with this game where the Bengals seem to be acting as if they're the anointed ones, who have a birthright to advance. Whereas the Ravens seem focused and determined to prove something. I don't know if it amounts to a hill of beans but I have a gut feeling that it might.

I do hope you're right and I'm blatantly wrong.  Nothing would make me happier. 

#43 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:13 AM

I don't think anyone is assuming that's how the situation will play out. More that both times we've faced them, Our defense pretty much humbled Burrow and he hasn't looked like an all Pro qb either time, (DISCLAIMER)In My Opinion. Brown in my opinion stumbled early, but seemed to have turned it around later in the game. Those stumbles might not have happened if we had a different OC, but I don't want to play my broken record again since I know you guys are sick of it. I'm in the minority, but in my opinion the Bengals can be beat with either of the three QBs. It all comes down to play calling. If we play to our offensive strength, Burrow has less time with the ball. If Roman pulls out his Greatest Show On Turf impression, it doesn't matter who the QB is. 

I agree with you on what they have to do to win, all broken record aside.  For me, it can't be said enough.  Too bad Roman isn't listening to either one of us. 

#44 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:14 AM

I think Lamar gives them a chance. Good chance if he's his usual self and still a much better chance than Huntley even if he's gonna need to mostly be an immobile pocket passer due to the knee.

Lamar isn't an elite passer, but he's far superior at throwing and decision-making than Huntley or Brown.

That much we agree on. 

#45 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:19 AM

If our pass catchers do not let several passes doink off their hands and chests, that would be a tremendous help as well. With that said, having Andrews back on the field after seeing Likely and Kolar produce the way they did could be an opportunity to ignite the passing game. Rather than try to force the ball to Robinson and Watkins, utilize the TEs as WRs. Who knows if that will happen but it's certainly something I would hope the coaches are considering.

However, the play calling and game plan will always be the proverbial elephant in the room but you can only hope that player effort and execution would be enough to overcome those things. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#46 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:42 PM

So with all the complaining and bellyaching the Bengals have done after last game, I went back and looked at the Ojabo strip sack where JPP had his hand on Burrow's facemask, and I'm left with a question about that.  Is it a facemask penalty to push a player's facemask?  JPP put his right hand on Burrow's facemask there, and his right hand is missing some hardware.  It's possible that maybe he was able to sneak his pinky or ring finger in to grab and pull, but I don't know, it seems questionable.  Now, if pushing the facemask is a penalty then it was still a missed call, but if not then it was technically a correct no-call.

#47 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:47 PM

So with all the complaining and bellyaching the Bengals have done after last game, I went back and looked at the Ojabo strip sack where JPP had his hand on Burrow's facemask, and I'm left with a question about that. Is it a facemask penalty to push a player's facemask? JPP put his right hand on Burrow's facemask there, and his right hand is missing some hardware. It's possible that maybe he was able to sneak his pinky or ring finger in to grab and pull, but I don't know, it seems questionable. Now, if pushing the facemask is a penalty then it was still a missed call, but if not then it was technically a correct no-call.

I could be wrong but I don't think it's simple contact. That's why when most refs announce it, they usually say "personal foul, grabbing the face mask."

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:50 PM

https://operations.n...tic first down.

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:52 PM

I never knew it was a DQ'able offense if "flagrant". Don't think I've ever seen that on a face mask call before, that's interesting.

#50 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 03:58 PM

So they say "grasp and xyz" so I guess that simple pushing without a grip isn't a foul.  That's my reading anyway.  Does that sound right?

#51 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:11 AM

Usually even if you don't grasp the facemask of a QB, you get an illegal hands to the face call.  I think the game announcers said JPP got away with one there.  But I have no sympathy if the Bengals are squawking about that.  Missed calls and bad calls happen in every game.  Deal with them.  

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:50 AM

Usually even if you don't grasp the facemask of a QB, you get an illegal hands to the face call.  I think the game announcers said JPP got away with one there.  But I have no sympathy if the Bengals are squawking about that.  Missed calls and bad calls happen in every game.  Deal with them.  

QBs are also protected by the "forcible contact to the head or neck" rule, so even if you don't grasp a QBs facemask, its usually a penalty to even touch it unless its deemed not a forcible contact, whatever that means.

#53 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 01:10 PM

Usually even if you don't grasp the facemask of a QB, you get an illegal hands to the face call. I think the game announcers said JPP got away with one there. But I have no sympathy if the Bengals are squawking about that. Missed calls and bad calls happen in every game. Deal with them.

I agree with this I was just curious.

It seems borderline either way so really tough to fault the officials either way.

#54 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 02:59 PM

I've seen too many QB's get hit in the head by a hand or arm with nothing called.

#55 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:03 PM

I've seen too many QB's get hit in the head by a hand or arm with nothing called.

I think there was something put out prior to this season emphasizing officials NOT calling light contact anymore even on the QB's facemask. Can't find a reference, but that memory sticks in my head.

#56 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 05:40 PM

I think there was something put out prior to this season emphasizing officials NOT calling light contact anymore even on the QB's facemask. Can't find a reference, but that memory sticks in my head.

meanwhile leaning on a qb gets you a personal foul for "putting your weight on a QB"  :???:

#57 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:21 PM

meanwhile leaning on a qb gets you a personal foul for "putting your weight on a QB" :???:

Yeah, the inconsistency and subjective calls are mind boggling.

#58 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, the inconsistency and subjective calls are mind boggling.

A sky judge could eliminate so many bad calls but I feel like the NFL thrives on the controversy.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=