128 replies to this topic

#41 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 10:38 PM

But come on now. Literally everything indicates it and nothing indicates otherwise.

Post a direct quote from Lamar or the team and I'm on board. Otherwise it's online BS

#42 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 10:48 PM

Post a direct quote from Lamar or the team and I'm on board. Otherwise it's online BS

Hokay man. Whatever you say.

#43 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 12:08 AM

Neither side is ever going to impart that information, but the following is from ESPN's Chris Mortensen, who is pretty well sourced. The following is dated September 11, just before the start of the season.

Jackson received active counsel from the NFLPA at the highest levels and the union advised that based on performance and age (25) he was justified to demand a fully guaranteed contract if that's what he wanted, sources added.

In terms of total money over the six years, Jackson could have earned in excess of $290 million and his average per year would exceed Russell Wilson's recent deal at $48.5 APY, which did adjust the Ravens final offer but the contract was not fully guaranteed as Jackson sought.

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:17 AM

None of us know that to be fact.

It's a really easy assumption. And it's somewhat trivial whether what he really wants is actually 100% guaranteed or just more than Watson's $230M.

I see no purpose in constantly saying that we don't know for a fact what he wants. We can assume strongly enough to make the conversation meaningful.
  • mdrunning likes this

#45 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:41 AM

Neither side is ever going to impart that information, but the following is from ESPN's Chris Mortensen, who is pretty well sourced. The following is dated September 11, just before the start of the season.

In terms of total money over the six years, Jackson could have earned in excess of $290 million and his average per year would exceed Russell Wilson's recent deal at $48.5 APY, which did adjust the Ravens final offer but the contract was not fully guaranteed as Jackson sought.

None of those are direct quotes from any of the parties involved. If you want to believe what's reported without verifiable facts, good for you. I just have a higher threshold. Nothing wrong with either position. 

#46 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:14 AM

None of those are direct quotes from any of the parties involved. If you want to believe what's reported without verifiable facts, good for you. I just have a higher threshold. Nothing wrong with either position.

I get what your saying. But it's also not hard to take all reports and lack of agreement and logically put things together. If you want to plug your ears and refuse to believe anything that doesn't come from Lamar or the Ravens FO, that's fine.

But I think, when taking everything into account, it's logical to come to the conclusion that Lamar wants a fully guaranteed deal, that totals more than Watson. And the Ravens don't want to oblige.

If I'm EDC, I'm negotiating with Lamar on a new deal early on. If it becomes clear that he won't break at all, that's when I'm looking at a tag and trade. First option IMO, should 100% be trying to keep Lamar in a Ravens uniform.

In the end, Lamar is a difference making, X-factor, at the most important position on the field. Arguably the first and only time we've had that in a Ravens uniform at the QB position. I just don't think you willingly get rid of him, when you've been looking for someone of his level of talent at the QB position. For the better part of two decades.

#47 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:52 AM

I've said this before and I'll continue to say it- I don't like information being fed to reporters from unnamed sources or people that don't want to be identified.  If I was a writer, I could make anything up and credit the quote to someone who demanded anonymity.  So, I take those with a grain of salt to put it lightly.  That doesn't mean that a writer's opinion won't ultimately verify.  Maybe Jackson will play next week.  I doubt he will and until I hear it from Harbaugh's mouth or on the Ravens injury report that he's playing, I'll just continue to roll my eyes. 

#48 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 01:28 PM

The Ravens' offer also reportedly contained an annual $2.5 million "de-escalator" clause if Jackson did not attend a high percentage of offseason workouts. Sort of like Kyler Murray's "homework clause" which was subsequently rescinded.

I don't know if this provision was a deal-breaker (probably not) but it must be a sufficient enough issue if the Ravens thought it was necessary to have the language in there.

#49 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 02:04 PM

I've said this before and I'll continue to say it- I don't like information being fed to reporters from unnamed sources or people that don't want to be identified. If I was a writer, I could make anything up and credit the quote to someone who demanded anonymity. So, I take those with a grain of salt to put it lightly. That doesn't mean that a writer's opinion won't ultimately verify. Maybe Jackson will play next week. I doubt he will and until I hear it from Harbaugh's mouth or on the Ravens injury report that he's playing, I'll just continue to roll my eyes.

Preston made up unnamed sources throughout Billick's tenure. And he also had Matt Simon feeding him Matt Simon viewpoint dirt.

#50 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 02:10 PM

Preston made up unnamed sources throughout Billick's tenure. And he also had Matt Simon feeding him Matt Simon viewpoint dirt.

Sometimes, though, it's the only way to extract information.

#51 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:41 PM

I've said this before and I'll continue to say it- I don't like information being fed to reporters from unnamed sources or people that don't want to be identified.  If I was a writer, I could make anything up and credit the quote to someone who demanded anonymity.  So, I take those with a grain of salt to put it lightly.  That doesn't mean that a writer's opinion won't ultimately verify.  Maybe Jackson will play next week.  I doubt he will and until I hear it from Harbaugh's mouth or on the Ravens injury report that he's playing, I'll just continue to roll my eyes. 

I don't have an issue with any writers opinion, we all have one. I part company with you guys when you make a writer's opinion fact. Everyone here is claiming Lamar demanded a fully guaranteed contract. None of us know that as fact. IN MY OPINION(see that?), I don't think a guaranteed contract was the issue, I think it's about the amount of guaranteed money. Some of you are dying for Lamar to be tagged and traded for some incredible haul of picks. I want him signed and I don't mean giving him everything he wants. This is simply a better team with him. We've seen that play out the last 5 weeks. As Biggsy said, we've been waiting for years for a guy like him. The Ravens can't afford to go cheap on  this one.

#52 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:42 PM

The Ravens' offer also reportedly 

Exactly with no quotes.

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:20 PM

I I don't think a guaranteed contract was the issue, I think it's about the amount of guaranteed money.

This is a trivial difference unless you're talking about deals of different lengths.

#54 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:24 PM

This is a trivial difference unless you're talking about deals of different lengths.

I was confused by that comment.

#55 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:43 PM

I was confused by that comment.

There's a big difference in a 6 year contract with $180M guaranteed where there's an out  and a 5 year deal with all  $230 guaranteed(Watson) and no flexibility. I'm not sure why that's confusing. 

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,365 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:46 PM

There's a big difference in a 6 year contract with $180M guaranteed where there's an out and a 5 year deal with all $230 guaranteed(Watson) and no flexibility. I'm not sure why that's confusing.

Yes, there is a big difference between very different contracts.

Nobody is suggesting that he would turn down equal or greater guaranteed money if it's not a full guarantee. For the same length deal. If you're talking different deals, then it's gonna come down to numbers and averages and whatnot. 5/$230M 100% guarantee vs 6/$270M w/ $240M guaranteed...then it could be a tossup.

#57 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:14 PM

There's a big difference in a 6 year contract with $180M guaranteed where there's an out and a 5 year deal with all $230 guaranteed(Watson) and no flexibility. I'm not sure why that's confusing.

So you meant partially guaranteed vs. fully guaranteed. That's not exactly what you said. Of course the total amount matters.

#58 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:26 PM

So you meant partially guaranteed vs. fully guaranteed. That's not exactly what you said. Of course the total amount matters.

What I said was I don't think the full guarantee was  the issue with his negotiations(like you all seem to think). I think the issue was amount of guaranteed money.

#59 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 08:28 PM

What I said was I don't think the full guarantee was the issue with his negotiations(like you all seem to think). I think the issue was amount of guaranteed money.

I wasn't really in on the argument but what difference does it make? The bottom line is that the amount of guaranteed money he's asking for is more than what they are willing to pay him.

#60 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:44 PM

I think it is true that we really don't know what Lamar wanted and what the Ravens offered.  I also think enough reports have said the same thing that we could probably assume we know and have a reasonable chance of being correct.  I think this contract is playing out as more than just the Ravens and Lamar Jackson.  I think every other owner not in Cleveland is counting on Biscotti to not give Lamar a fully guaranteed contract, and the NFLPA is telling Lamar to hold firm on that line.  But that's just from what I have read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=