#1 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:21 AM

Where are you going this year?

I'm considering a trip to Panama for a long weekend. I want to go someplace new and speak Spanish, experience culture, eat and drink and chill by the pool.

Then in the spring we're considering a trip to Europe with some friends who are celebrating their honeymoon. They've never been and want us to go to show them the ropes. Considering Sicily or Crete/Naxos. We've been to both.

Then in September, going to Hawaii with friends to celebrate their 25th anniversary. We've been to Oahu so it'll likely be a new island this time.

And then maybe Aruba again, but I don't know if there will be enough time!

• mweb08 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:40 AM

First Week of July for a week up in Wilmington NY (near Lake Placid).  I am also making it a point to getting over to Vermont and finally visiting Hill Farmstead brewery.  I've been trying to visit that place a few different times while near there and it hasn't worked out but I am going to make it happen.

Last week of July going to Surfside (near Myrtle Beach) for a week with my parents and my sister and her family as well.

• mweb08 likes this

#3 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:31 AM

Anything I should do next week while I’m in LA for four days? Paging Michael Weber. I’ll be staying right near the Chinese theater so definitely plan on seeing a movie there. Any good places to eat or sights to see?

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:47 AM

Wear a Jim Palmer jersey to In 'N Out then tweet a picture to him and ask him to be on your podcast.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:42 AM

LA is a obviously a very large and spread out city so it can make logistics difficult, and I don't know who you're going with, but here's some general recommendations:

- Eat in Koreatown (maybe more than once)
- Get late night tacos from a food truck if you have that kinda night or whenever (I don't have 1 place in mind so here's some possibilities: https://la.eater.com...querias-mexican)
- I know LA is not known for its pizza (rightly so) but legendary pizza maker Chris Bianco recently opened up a place
- See if you can get tickets to the Comedy Store, one of the best places in the country to see successful and soon to be successful comics working out their material
- Universal Studios is expensive but very cool and probably even more appealing to someone like yourself that's so into TV/ film
- Consider checking out Griffith Park, maybe a hike to the Hollywood sign and/or checking out the famous observatory
- The Getty is a rather amazing place for its artwork, architecture, and amazing location overlooking the city
- There's several other top notch art museums such as LA County Museum of Art and The Broad

There's tons of options beyond that depending on what you're into and I'm very far from an expert, but feel free to ask any follow up questions.

My main advice in any city, but especially LA since it's one of the best food cities in the country, is to seek out some of the spots that make that place's culinary scene stand out.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2023 - 02:28 PM

LA is a obviously a very large and spread out city so it can make logistics difficult, and I don't know who you're going with, but here's some general recommendations:

- Get late night tacos from a food truck if you have that kinda night or whenever (I don't have 1 place in mind so here's some possibilities: https://la.eater.com...querias-mexican)
- I know LA is not known for its pizza (rightly so) but legendary pizza maker Chris Bianco recently opened up a place
- See if you can get tickets to the Comedy Store, one of the best places in the country to see successful and soon to be successful comics working out their material
- Universal Studios is expensive but very cool and probably even more appealing to someone like yourself that's so into TV/ film
- Consider checking out Griffith Park, maybe a hike to the Hollywood sign and/or checking out the famous observatory
- The Getty is a rather amazing place for its artwork, architecture, and amazing location overlooking the city
- There's several other top notch art museums such as LA County Museum of Art and The Broad

There's tons of options beyond that depending on what you're into and I'm very far from an expert, but feel free to ask any follow up questions.

My main advice in any city, but especially LA since it's one of the best food cities in the country, is to seek out some of the spots that make that place's culinary scene stand out.

Awesome, thanks!

My wife’s work meeting is there this week. She leaves tomorrow and I’m flying out Wednesday to meet her there and stay through the weekend. I had the Broad on my list of possibilities and now I have some great stuff too. Thanks man.

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:32 PM

Wear a Jim Palmer jersey to In 'N Out then tweet a picture to him and ask him to be on your podcast.

Bet Jim would do the podcast. He seems like he knows the minor leagues fairly well.  You could def have a minor league twist to it as well as talking about the '23 Os. Make this happen Phelan. No excuses  for it not getting done

#8 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:13 PM

Bet Jim would do the podcast. he seems like he knows the minor leagues fairly well. You could def have a minor league twist to it as well as talking about the '23 Os. Make this happen Phelan. No excuses not for it not getting done

Gonna have him on but strictly to talk about Emily in Paris.

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:19 AM

Going back to Greece in June with a short stopover in Paris. Going to island of Ios this time with another couple.

Can't wait.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:20 AM

I thought Universal was a waste of time. I wish we had done the Warner Bros. tour which is more like a real tour of studios and filmmaking experience and not a bunch of cheesy rides.

• BobPhelan likes this

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:36 AM

I thought Universal was a waste of time. I wish we had done the Warner Bros. tour which is more like a real tour of studios and filmmaking experience and not a bunch of cheesy rides.

Personally I enjoyed the rides and wouldn't really describe many of them as cheesy. The backlot tour or whatever it's called was pretty cool imo and had some stuff on the history of film and such, but yeah, I guess not as much as Warner, which I didn't do.

#12 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:44 AM

My wife and I were in LA in 2011.  We did the Warner Brothers tour and liked it a lot.  We also had dinner one night at Musso & Frank - it's on Hollywood Blvd, just down the street from the Chinese Theater, I think.  I'd recommend that, too - great atmosphere, good food, and Jeff Garlin and his family were at the table next to ours.

• BobPhelan likes this

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 11:22 AM

Voy a Puerto Rico por una semana en Febrero. Boletos de vuelo son muy baratos.

#14 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:33 AM

Does anyone have recommendations for PR? What beaches to hit? What and where to eat and drink?

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:47 AM

Saw Babylon at the Chinese theater and went on the WB lot tour but then my wife got COVID so will save the other stuff we wanted to do for next time. Was still a fun trip and it was nice out there.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 07:27 AM

Saw Babylon at the Chinese theater and went on the WB lot tour but then my wife got COVID so will save the other stuff we wanted to do for next time. Was still a fun trip and it was nice out there.

When is Palmer coming on the pod?

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 07:52 AM

Does anyone have recommendations for PR? What beaches to hit? What and where to eat and drink?

If you're gonna spend any time on Vieques let me know.

#18 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 07:59 AM

If you're gonna spend any time on Vieques let me know.

Looked into Vieques and it does look lovely but we're sticking to the mainland on this trip. Staying 3 nights in Condado near San Juan and then 4 nights in Luquillo Beach. May take a day trip to Culebra Island.

#19 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 January 2023 - 08:20 AM

When is Palmer coming on the pod?

Talking to Connor Norby and Ryan Watson today, maybe closer to the season.

#20 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 10:26 AM

PR was AWESOME! One of my favorite islands in the Caribbean!

• mweb08 and Mike B like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=