614 replies to this topic

#41 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:52 PM

Seeing now that momentum is building to have the Bills-Bengals game cancelled. If thats the case its the Ravens that have very little to play for. Cincy still has two pulls of the gun in a Bills and or a KC loss to improve their seeding. Ravens could move from the 6th to 5th seed if they win and LA loses. Thats it.

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:54 PM

Cin will also know if KC loses as they play Sat. Bills play same time as us on Sunday.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 01:02 PM

Seeing now that momentum is building to have the Bills-Bengals game cancelled. If thats the case its the Ravens that have very little to play for. Cincy still has two pulls of the gun in a Bills and or a KC loss to improve their seeding. Ravens could move from the 6th to 5th seed if they win and LA loses. Thats it.

Sure.  If the Ravens can't win the division I think they bench key guys like Stanley, Humphrey, RBs, etc.

A "nobody cares" game could still go the unexpected way.

#44 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 02:17 PM

Since I posted, the new developments out of Cincinnati are very good.  Hamlin's agent told reporters that he is awake and able to squeeze the hands of family members.  Doctor's have also said that his neurological function is intact.  So these are fantastic developments.  

As for the game itself, it is looking more and more like it will not be played.  According to Pro Football Talk there appears to be little appetite from the teams to play it, and little appetite from the NFL to significantly change the playoff schedule.  There are some "creative" thoughts on how to deal with the seeding problems that are created, the most interesting which involves adding an 8th team to the playoffs.  You would think that would need to be known before Sunday's games.  

Whatever they decide, I just wish they would do it and move on.  

https://profootballt...-bills-bengals/

• russsnyder likes this

#45 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 03:21 PM

For those interested, here's a video that just got uploaded where 2 doctors at the hospital take questions about Hamlin's current condition. 

ESPN UPDATE on hospital: UC Doctor says Buffalo Bills' Damar Hamlin awaken & neurological intact - YouTube

#46 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 05 January 2023 - 03:43 PM

I'm sure the league has been in contact with all the teams impacted by the suspension and likely scrapping of the Cincy-Buffalo game but from a purely football standpoint, the Ravens are certainly getting the short end of the stick and I feel like it's not even being mentioned.

I wonder if the league is just content to kick the can until the dust settles on Sunday night? If the Ravens can pull off an upset in Cincinnati they've earned the opportunity for a division title and home game. The difference between the 3 seed and 5/6 seed is huge.

As a post script, I understand the extremely difficult position that the league is in and of course there's a young man's health and welfare on everyone's minds. With that said, if I'm the Ravens organization, I would be fighting tooth and nail to see that the Bills and Bengals play. Maybe that makes me sound insensitive but purely from a football competition standpoint, eliminating last Monday's game from the schedule and standings sucks for Baltimore. Potentially....
  • Mike B and jamesdean like this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#47 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:39 PM

I'll be disappointed and slightly begin to wonder about his heart if he can't suit up for the wildcard round

What does his heart have to do with him being injured? You want a running qb to play with a bum knee? Great plan. :roll:

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:39 PM

I'm sure the league has been in contact with all the teams impacted by the suspension and likely scrapping of the Cincy-Buffalo game but from a purely football standpoint, the Ravens are certainly getting the short end of the stick and I feel like it's not even being mentioned.

I wonder if the league is just content to kick the can until the dust settles on Sunday night? If the Ravens can pull off an upset in Cincinnati they've earned the opportunity for a division title and home game. The difference between the 3 seed and 5/6 seed is huge.

As a post script, I understand the extremely difficult position that the league is in and of course there's a young man's health and welfare on everyone's minds. With that said, if I'm the Ravens organization, I would be fighting tooth and nail to see that the Bills and Bengals play. Maybe that makes me sound insensitive but purely from a football competition standpoint, eliminating last Monday's game from the schedule and standings sucks for Baltimore. Potentially....

Good post and well said.  I think it is a no win situation for the Ravens.  If they complain, they look like jerks and will get crushed in the national media.  If they do nothing, which IMO is what they have decided to do, they lose any chance for a higher seed.

I really do not blame the NFL.  There was no plan for a situation like this.

I am a Raven homer, but they put themselves in this position with all the "blown games".

@mikeghg

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:41 PM

Campbell and Peters practiced again today.  CC sounds like he plans on playing.

Huntley was limited at practice.  Anthony Brown anyone??

@mikeghg

#50 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:43 PM

Good post and well said.  I think it is a no win situation for the Ravens.  If they complain, they look like jerks and will get crushed in the national media.  If they do nothing, which IMO is what they have decided to do, they lose any chance for a higher seed.

I really do not blame the NFL.  There was no plan for a situation like this.

I am a Raven homer, but they put themselves in this position with all the "blown games".

I wish I could be upset about it, but I'm not. I doubt the Ravens win at whatever seed they end up. To me it's much ado about nothing for a team going nowhere.

• JStruds likes this

#51 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:45 PM

Campbell and Peters practiced again today.  CC sounds like he plans on playing.

Huntley was limited at practice.  Anthony Brown anyone??

Brown or Hundley would be fine with me. I'm fairly certain Ravens Nation has had their fill of Huntley.

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:45 PM

With this type of team, the path with the most adversity (if Lamar is back) is probably the optimal path. That playing with house money mindset, where there are no expectations can enable a team to play more freely, without intense pressure. So screw it, whatever happens happens, and agreed with Mike - if you really are upset about how the seedings shake out, maybe blow less games that should’ve been sure W’s.
  • mdrunning likes this

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2023 - 05:08 PM

Brown or Hundley would be fine with me. I'm fairly certain Ravens Nation has had their fill of Huntley.

I am not going to bash Huntley.  He gives everything he has, is not afraid to take a hit, but does not have the arm to threaten the defense down field and lacks pocket awareness. He is an UDFA and while he has some nice moments, he is just not good enough a carry a team,

@mikeghg

#54 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 05:31 PM

It doesn't matter.  This team will be one and done regardless.  I hope they start Brown Sunday. Let's give him a chance to show what he can do.  

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 05:45 PM

I just can't find it to get angry about this missed opportunity. If it even is a missed one, Bengals could've won their game. Partly the circumstances and partly the long odds of winning (sans Lamar) even if we had a shot.

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 05:50 PM

I expect them to rest guys rather than fight for #5 vs #6.

#57 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:13 PM

I expect them to rest guys rather than fight for #5 vs #6.

I agree. I think they’d have tried for the division. 5 is way better than 6 this year, but it seems likely the Chargers win and it’s moot anyway.

#58 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:28 PM

I was thinking about it and when Daryl Kile died, they postponed the game and played the next day. Different sport. He didn’t die on the field. But the league and teams picked right up 24 hours later. Sean Taylor died on a Wednesday and the WFT played that week.

I think you play this week out and if the CIN/BUF game needs to be played, you play it Thursday. Push things back a week. Or play CIN/BUF playoff games on Tuesday, then you are back on track the following Sunday.

It’s a no win situation cause it sounds insensitive to think about the show going on. But…someone’s got to make that call. I’d like a couple of the Ravens games to just not count this year, but that isn’t exactly the case. I mean hell, they made up the games from 9/11. They can certainly make up this one.
@BSLMikeRandall

#59 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:31 PM

According to the AP, the game will not be made up.

Link

#60 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:46 PM

According to the AP, the game will not be made up.

Link

Sounds like the NFLPA could appeal the leagues decision. “Players Association must approve any changes”.

Maybe they are already on board with not rescheduling. Maybe players on the teams getting the short end will file a grievance. Maybe playoff games will be played under protest. What does that look like?
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=