614 replies to this topic

#21 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:24 PM

Well, his knee is hurt, presumably it won't be 100%, and he's got a fairly big financial decision looming. I can see it. This isn't the same as rookie year stuff. I still don't think that's what is happening though.

Not that I know him personally but no, I don't think he would do something like that.  It doesn't seem like his character at all.  

• Mackus likes this

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:28 PM

Not that I know him personally but no, I don't think he would do something like that.  It doesn't seem like his character at all.  

I mean I agree with you and Mack. I really do. I honestly wouldn't judge him if he isn't 100% with an injury that potentially serious, and the contract looming, if he were playing it more safe. I mean that, it sucks, but why should he be judged if that were the case?

#23 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:52 PM

I mean I agree with you and Mack. I really do. I honestly wouldn't judge him if he isn't 100% with an injury that potentially serious, and the contract looming, if he were playing it more safe. I mean that, it sucks, but why should he be judged if that were the case?

I wouldn't think less of him.  At the end of the day, he has to do what's best for himself because without an agent, no one else is except maybe his mother.  

#24 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:13 PM

I wouldn't think less of him.  At the end of the day, he has to do what's best for himself because without an agent, no one else is except maybe his mother.  

But is he getting the best possible advice? That's the problem when your advisory team consists of family and friends. They're advocates rather than professional representatives and they're more likely to tell him what he wants to hear instead of giving him sound personal and business advice.

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:24 PM

What about his history would make anyone believe he's not going to play when he's otherwise able?  I get the logic behind the decision, but I'm specifically talking about Lamar making that choice when he's always played up until this point when the same rationale for holding out existed.  Seems like a callous opinion about the man, to me.

I guess I started it, but I am not doubting he is hurt.  I think he understands that he gets the job done in large part because of his ability to put the defense on its heels using his running ability and I don't think he wants to play less than 100%.

I go back and forth about giving him a contract giving him 50-55 Million a year. for 5 years, especially if it is guaranteed.  At times, I think the defenses have adjusted to Lamar and his inability to hit the deep ball, makes it easier for them to play the defenses designed to slow him up.  At other times, I want to see Lamar play in a more traditional offense for a OC, who is aggressive and opens up the offense. I think Lamar would do very well in a more traditional passing offense with good weapons around him.

I am not sure. I want to give that mega contract to see the latter though.

@mikeghg

#26 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:50 PM

I guess I started it, but I am not doubting he is hurt. I think he understands that he gets the job done in large part because of his ability to put the defense on its heels using his running ability and I don't think he wants to play less than 100%.
I go back and forth about giving him a contract giving him 50-55 Million a year. for 5 years, especially if it is guaranteed. At times, I think the defenses have adjusted to Lamar and his inability to hit the deep ball, makes it easier for them to play the defenses designed to slow him up. At other times, I want to see Lamar play in a more traditional offense for a OC, who is aggressive and opens up the offense. I think Lamar would do very well in a more traditional passing offense with good weapons around him.

I am not sure. I want to give that mega contract to see the latter though.

I want to see Lamar in a different offense. I wish they did it this year so we’d have more info before the tag.

I usually am not a fan of Vinny on 105.7 but today he mentioned Brian Griese in a hypo for OC. Current 49ers QB coach, I’m very interested in the Shanahan tree and think Lamar could be great in that. Michigan guy so maybe a Harbs fit. He’s only been a coach one year though after broadcasting a long time, so you’d be taking a big leap of faith.
  • PrimeTime and SonicAttack like this

#27 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 04:54 PM

I agree.  We are probably one and done either way, but to be honest, I feel like Lamar checked out on the season a few weeks ago.

Frankly, I prefer the Ravens trade him for the best deal we can get.  

I prefer a new OC next season and tagging Lamar to see what he can do with a new OC.

#28 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 05:51 PM

So with the 5-6 seeds still up for grabs and the Ravens playing at 1, how will the gamblers play it if the Ravens lose and the Chargers sitting most of their starters .?

#29 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 10:55 AM

Right now the line is Cincinnati -7.  In a normal situation, I would say that's about right.  But the Bengal's state of mind is questionable, not surprisingly.  Joe Burrow even said they discussed not playing this game.   He said some guys want to play, others don't.   Now I don't know how they could seriously not play the game, but just the fact that there is a mindset out there of not wanting to play makes it tough to field a team that's ready to play.  They did not practice on Wednesday.

I would guess this is Zac Taylor's biggest challenge.  I don't think not practicing is all that big of a deal at this point.  They know the Ravens very well.  But Taylor's got to somehow get his team in a football frame of mind.  He's got to remind them they need this game to win the division.  It will interesting to see how they respond.  

As a footnote, when asked about resuming the game with the Bills he said it was all up to them.  The Bengal's players would support whatever decision they made.   (Obviously the NFL will decide, but Burrow made it clear that the Bengals would not argue against the Bills wishes.)

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2023 - 10:59 AM

Right now the line is Cincinnati -7.  In a normal situation, I would say that's about right.  But the Bengal's state of mind is questionable, not surprisingly.  Joe Burrow even said they discussed not playing this game.   He said some guys want to play, others don't.   Now I don't know how they could seriously not play the game, but just the fact that there is a mindset out there of not wanting to play makes it tough to field a team that's ready to play.  They did not practice on Wednesday.

I would guess this is Zac Taylor's biggest challenge.  I don't think not practicing is all that big of a deal at this point.  They know the Ravens very well.  But Taylor's got to somehow get his team in a football frame of mind.  He's got to remind them they need this game to win the division.  It will interesting to see how they respond.  

As a footnote, when asked about resuming the game with the Bills he said it was all up to them.  The Bengal's players would support whatever decision they made.   (Obviously the NFL will decide, but Burrow made it clear that the Bengals would not argue against the Bills wishes.)

Marvin Lewis made a guest appearance on a network I shall not name this morning. He was making the point that the NFL really needs to adjust their player absence/not playing policy to allow for players opting out this weekend given the trauma that occurred Monday night. This could shape up to be a very interesting weekend to say the least.

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 11:18 AM

Yeah the absolutely unprecedented nature of this is the only thing that gives the Ravens (without Lamar) a shot.  I still wouldn't expect to win, but it wouldn't be shocked if the Bengals come out flat and the Ravens can pull one out.  That's the only thing that would prevent me from just sitting other key guys.  I still think I lean that way, especially if it looks like there won't be a path for the Ravens to win the division (i.e. looks like last week's game won't be completed).

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:07 PM

Ravens could cover but I see virtually no path to winning. Burrow would have to be really bad. We cant score 20 with Huntley. How is Cincy being held under 20?

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:23 PM

Ravens could cover but I see virtually no path to winning. Burrow would have to be really bad. We cant score 20 with Huntley. How is Cincy being held under 20?

If they really don't wanna be there and just can't find the motivation to bring the intensity needed every play.  I think its a potentially weird environment for them.  Them being unable to show up for that reason is basically the only path to victory I see for the Ravens, assuming Lamar doesn't make an insane recovery.

They've had a 23, a 22, and a 20 in their past 5 games plus a 1st half flop against TB without having any general mindset concerns.  They aren't a juggernaut, so if they're completely off their game I can see there being an opening.

• makoman likes this

#34 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:24 PM

They just did 3 months ago and the defense is better today than they were then. Obviously the Bengals are playing better now too and you'd need help from the offense so I wouldn't bet on it or anything, but under 20 isn't the craziest thing in the world. Hell the Browns held them to 13 on Halloween and 23 under a month ago.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:29 PM

If they really don't wanna be there and just can't find the motivation to bring the intensity needed every play. I think its a potentially weird environment for them. Them being unable to show up for that reason is basically the only path to victory I see for the Ravens, assuming Lamar doesn't make an insane recovery.

They've had a 23, a 22, and a 20 in their past 5 games plus a 1st half flop against TB without having any general mindset concerns. They aren't a juggernaut, so if they're completely off their game I can see there being an opening.

Its for the division and a home playoff game. The #2 and possibly even the #1 seed if they end up playing the Bills game which I think is going to have to happen. I get that everything that happened has had an effect on them but once they step back on the field 2nd nature kicks in.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:43 PM

Its for the division and a home playoff game. The #2 and possibly even the #1 seed if they end up playing the Bills game which I think is going to have to happen. I get that everything that happened has had an effect on them but once they step back on the field 2nd nature kicks in.

Probably.  But not close to definitely.  Doesn't take a big disparity in effort for things to get lopsided either.  Even though the Ravens with Huntley aren't good, its still an NFL team and the margins aren't that huge.  Total lack of focus (for understandable reasons) could easily flip things pretty strongly in the Ravens favor.  

I'm not expecting it, but I think its a factor that applies this week and wouldn't most weeks, and is big enough in both scale and likelihood to make it worth watching.  I think its the most likely path to a Ravens win.  Lamar playing and playing well or a series of ST or turnover calamities that tip the scales towards the Ravens are the other paths, both less likely than the Bengals just not being able to really play because of a collective inability to really ramp it up.

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:46 PM

I mean Im not gonna bet the game in part because of all of this even though I think the Bengals vs Huntley at home is closer to 10 points better on paper than 7

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:47 PM

Yeah I'd put it around 10 as well if this was a normal week and we knew the Bengals were gonna really play (i.e. not having already locked in seed, which is another thing that may be a factor for either team).

10 point upset is big but not unheard of even in normal circumstances.  Sometimes one team just doesn't show even if there isn't an external reason.  Look at Den @ LAR two weeks ago.  Doubt it was as big of a line, so not a particularly huge upset, but one team just didn't come to play and it dramatically changed the expected margin.

#39 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:49 PM

I'm not that interested in this game, as it feels very much like a formality to me. With that said, a like around Bengals -10 feels right.

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 12:52 PM

I mean Im not gonna bet the game in part because of all of this even though I think the Bengals vs Huntley at home is closer to 10 points better on paper than 7

This means you agree with me, right?  If you really thought the line was off by 3 points you'd be all over it.  But you don't think that, because of the oddity of the scenario.  That's the exact scenario I'm talking about.  Adds uncertainty and opens a path that wouldn't normally be open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=