• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 08:03 PM

ESPN's Matchup Predictor gives the Ravens a 41.3% chance of winning. 

#2 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:06 PM

A day ago I would have said the chances of beating the Bengals in Cincinnati were slim to none.  Now I'm not too sure.  The psychological ramifications of witnessing a fellow teammate and friend literally dying on the field and being brought back to life has got to be profound. Not only from how it affects their perceptions of what it means to be a professional football player but also having such a jarring, frightening projection of their own mortality being brought to life in front of their eyes.  It makes me wonder if the Bengals or the Bills are capable of recapturing the reckless and exhilarating love of something so violent.  Maybe I'm just falling prey to my own imagination and they'll be able to return to the field and play as if nothing happened last night.  Only time will tell. 

• cprenegade likes this

#3 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:37 PM

A day ago I would have said the chances of beating the Bengals in Cincinnati were slim to none.  Now I'm not too sure.  The psychological ramifications of witnessing a fellow teammate and friend literally dying on the field and being brought back to life has got to be profound. Not only from how it affects their perceptions of what it means to be a professional football player but also having such a jarring, frightening projection of their own mortality being brought to life in front of their eyes.  It makes me wonder if the Bengals or the Bills are capable of recapturing the reckless and exhilarating love of something so violent.  Maybe I'm just falling prey to my own imagination, and they'll be able to return to the field and play as if nothing happened last night.  Only time will tell. 

No, I think you are right.  I said on the other thread that I saw this as a potential blow out but the x-factor is how Cincinnati comes out emotionally for this game.  First, they were obviously up for the game last night and then had it suddenly switched off.  And then there is everything you mentioned.  The first time on the field after something that traumatic can definitely be tough.  It can work the other way too where there are some pent up feelings that get channeled into energy.  It's just impossible to know until game time.  

#4 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 06:35 AM

There still isn't a game time. They should schedule the game at 1 if they are thinking of replaying the Bills/Bengals game on Thursday the 12th. They'd have to scramble up the playoff schedule to do so.

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:06 AM

There still isn't a game time. They should schedule the game at 1 if they are thinking of replaying the Bills/Bengals game on Thursday the 12th. They'd have to scramble up the playoff schedule to do so.

Probably the best thing to do is push the play-offs back a week.  The logistics might be compromised but they have the time to do it.  Just have the Bengals and Bills play their game the following week after the season ends.  

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 07:49 AM

If it is played this week it’ll likely be 4 pm since that is what they’ve done for any game with playoff implications in week 17 or 18. 

But either way I’ve never been less excited to watch a Ravens game. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:41 AM

If it is played this week it’ll likely be 4 pm since that is what they’ve done for any game with playoff implications in week 17 or 18.

Honestly the playoffs feel irrelevant to me after that incident. Everything football related does. I was sweating out fantasy football championship matchups as well, and now I just don't care anymore. It's so weird that an injury that may not even have been directly related to football has made football seem so unimportant.

#8 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:17 AM

Honestly the playoffs feel irrelevant to me after that incident. Everything football related does. I was sweating out fantasy football championship matchups as well, and now I just don't care anymore. It's so weird that an injury that may not even have been directly related to football has made football seem so unimportant.

Same here. I feel like I need to get out of the country. Time to book a trip.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:15 PM

No Lamar again today.

@mikeghg

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:33 PM

No Lamar again today.

With it looking like the Bengals/Bill game will result in a tie, we can no longer win the division so he may as well rest another week.

This is shaping up to be a week 18 preseason game.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:41 PM

No Lamar again today.

No surprise really. I doubt we see him for the wild card game, which is likely the last game of the season for the Ravens..

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:46 PM

No surprise really. I doubt we see him for the wild card game, which is likely the last game of the season for the Ravens..

I agree.  We are probably one and done either way, but to be honest, I feel like Lamar checked out on the season a few weeks ago.

Frankly, I prefer the Ravens trade him for the best deal we can get.  

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@mikeghg

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:47 PM

With it looking like the Bengals/Bill game will result in a tie, we can no longer win the division so he may as well rest another week.

This is shaping up to be a week 18 preseason game.

True, but I will be surprised if we see him even in the playoffs.

@mikeghg

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:59 PM

I'll be disappointed and slightly begin to wonder about his heart if he can't suit up for the wildcard round. Cincinnati game is essentially meaningless.

Missing significant time due to injury back to back seasons doesn't bode well for wanting that record breaking, all guaranteed contract.

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:03 PM

What about his history would make anyone believe he's not going to play when he's otherwise able?  I get the logic behind the decision, but I'm specifically talking about Lamar making that choice when he's always played up until this point when the same rationale for holding out existed.  Seems like a callous opinion about the man, to me.

#16 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:10 PM

At the end of the day it's a business decision for him. If he suffered a career ending injury tomorrow the Ravens would move on and that would be the end of it. I'm sure they'd do it with class, but it's still a cold business and tough decisions have to be made.

I don't know if the injury is something that can get significantly worse if he tries to play at 75% or whatever he may currently be at, but if it's mostly a comfort and pain thing, and he's choosing not to risk it for future contract reasons, I wouldn't be shocked.

Maybe he realizes that this team isn't going anywhere with or without him, so why take any unnecessary risks?

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:12 PM

What about his history would make anyone believe he's not going to play when he's otherwise able?  I get the logic behind the decision, but I'm specifically talking about Lamar making that choice when he's always played up until this point when the same rationale for holding out existed.  Seems like a callous opinion about the man, to me.

Well, his knee is hurt, presumably it won't be 100%, and he's got a fairly big financial decision looming. I can see it. This isn't the same as rookie year stuff. I still don't think that's what is happening though.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:14 PM

Well, his knee is hurt, presumably it won't be 100%, and he's got a fairly big financial decision looming. I can see it. This isn't the same as rookie year stuff. I still don't think that's what is happening though.

It makes me wonder a bit. Lamar is a baller for sure. But big money on the way very soon and RG3 has to be a cautionary tale

#19 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:14 PM

I think Lamar would play if he feels 100% or close to it.

Anything below 95% or whatever arbitrary number we wanna use and I don't see him pushing himself for a team that doesn't have any current contractual reason to pay him beyond the last game of the season.

#20 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:19 PM

All the other AFC wild card teams are playing at 1 but the Chargers in Denver, 4:25 would figure in the 5-6 seeding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=