• Please log in to reply
357 replies to this topic

#161 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 08:39 AM

I'll take quality of opponents into consideration. Who is he playing in the WCC, besides Gonzaga, who will compare to what he's facing in the B10? By the way, he didn't make a shot against Gonzaga in the two games they played and 3-15 against BYU.

I'm not getting my hopes up that he'll come in and make a difference as a shooter for MD.

By that same logic, Jahmir Young should’ve never been able to make any sort of difference for Maryland. It’s not just about what he’s done in the past at whatever level, it’s about projection. That’s what the coaching staff gets paid to identity. High school kids have never played at a Big Ten level, but somehow plenty of them come in and contribute as freshmen.

The WCC was the 9th ranked conference overall this year by Conf RPI.  (Higher than the American, A10, and WAC.)

37% on 4.7 attempts per says he can shoot. 

17 minutes and 6 ppg says he wasn't a focal point of Loyola Marymount, or dominating his competition. 

Not exactly the same as Young, who was all CUSA. 

I would think the expectation would be that Stephens adds to the rotation, but you wouldn't be expecting more than a sniper off the bench.  At-least in '23-'24.  OTOH, sometimes the most development for players happens after their Frosh seasons.  So, who knows, maybe he takes a leap.

#162 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:13 AM

Does 37% at Loyola Marymount make you a sharpshooter?

Between his percentage and his shot selection, I think we know a lot about his game.  Maybe he's got more tricks in the bag he can develop but seems like he's a shooter off the bench type.  A shorter Jared Nickens.  37% is good, not great, but if that's his baseline as a frosh and he can continue that rate at a higher level of competition or even build on it, then he could be a useful rotation piece.  Like I said, any shooting off the bench will help, but I was hoping for a slightly different resume for the role.

Andrew Funk is the type I was had in mind for an ideal bench addition, but actually looking back at his stats, what he did this year at PSU (41%) is pretty anomalous compared to his Bucknell career (33%).

#163 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:06 AM

I'll take quality of opponents into consideration. Who is he playing in the WCC, besides Gonzaga, who will compare to what he's facing in the B10? By the way, he didn't make a shot against Gonzaga in the two games they played and 3-15 against BYU.

I'm not getting my hopes up that he'll come in and make a difference as a shooter for MD.

#164 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:11 AM

The WCC was the 9th ranked conference overall this year by Conf RPI.  (Higher than the American, A10, and WAC.)

37% on 4.7 attempts per says he can shoot. 

17 minutes and 6 ppg says he wasn't a focal point of Loyola Marymount, or dominating his competition. 

Not exactly the same as Young, who was all CUSA. 

I would think the expectation would be that Stephens adds to the rotation, but you wouldn't be expecting more than a sniper off the bench.  At-least in '23-'24.  OTOH, sometimes the most development for players happens after their Frosh seasons.  So, who knows, maybe he takes a leap.

I think shooting 37% from 3 as a freshman is more than acceptable.  My only concern is where the other needed Scholarships are coming form?

@mikeghg

#165 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:17 AM

Perhaps Stephens can be a usable piece. I hope so.

I also hope he isn't our headline portal transfer.

#166 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:20 AM

Stephens production last year dropped considerably against tier A opponents. The coaching staff must be seeing something in him that they feel can help the team. This could easily be a wasted roster spot. With 3 guard/wings coming in and Young returning, I certainly would have thought a big to compliment Reese would have been a top priority. The coaching staff must have a good idea of other roster spots opening up for them to have made this decision. Otherwise, this could likely be a bad decision.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#167 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:33 AM

David Cox recruited Chance and I guess wanted him back.  Chance coming to UMD was done for both of them IMO. Personally, I would rather see Batchelor and Martinez, and the freshmen get these minutes.  Maybe Chance will show that he can shoot like Mike Jones (who)?

#168 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 April 2023 - 11:40 AM

David Cox recruited Chance and I guess wanted him back.  Chance coming to UMD was done for both of them IMO. Personally, I would rather see Batchelor and Martinez, and the freshmen get these minutes.  Maybe Chance will show that he can shoot like Mike Jones (who)?

Does Batchelor really have much to work with? I know he barely played, but the few times he did he looked completely over matched. Willard can coach guys up, clearly, and many a freshman who later become productive look this way, but just curious what you and others saw there. 

#169 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 12:36 PM

Does Batchelor really have much to work with? I know he barely played, but the few times he did he looked completely over matched. Willard can coach guys up, clearly, and many a freshman who later become productive look this way, but just curious what you and others saw there.

I'll agree that Martinez and the freshman should have every opportunity to be ahead of Stephens on the depth chart, but yeah, Batchelor looked very unimpressive in his limited time.

Maybe he'll make a big jump from his freshman to sophomore seasons, but I wouldn't expect him to be a huge contributor.

#170 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2023 - 01:02 PM

Adding another shooter to the roster was definitely a priority. You've got two slashing guards on the roster in Young and Harris-Smith (and Martinez, to a lesser extent), having guys on the perimeter to kick the ball to is a big need and you don't want Kaiser to carry that whole load as a freshman. Hopefully Stephens can be the sharpshooter that Carey was supposed to be in this offense. Willard showed that his system can create open looks, just need to find a couple guys who can knock them down with some sort of consistency.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#171 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 02:22 PM

Adding another shooter to the roster was definitely a priority. You've got two slashing guards on the roster in Young and Harris-Smith (and Martinez, to a lesser extent), having guys on the perimeter to kick the ball to is a big need and you don't want Kaiser to carry that whole load as a freshman. Hopefully Stephens can be the sharpshooter that Carey was supposed to be in this offense. Willard showed that his system can create open looks, just need to find a couple guys who can knock them down with some sort of consistency.

#172 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 02:28 PM

That may be true, but his lack of production against tier A opponents in his freshman season doesn't look good for the future. I sure hope I am wrong. With Martinez along with the other freshmen coming in, he will have to prove himself.

#173 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:03 PM

Donta Scott is reportedly returning to Maryland for the 2023-24 season. So if a scholarship is to become available, someone else will have to leave.

Front court depth was lacking, so having Scott return is a big deal for Willard.
  • Mike B, BSLRoseKatz and makoman like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#174 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:07 PM

Woah, that's awesome. He's got his warts but very good player.

#175 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:08 PM

Willard must've had these guys buy in. Rare for so many guys to stick around for 5th year.

#176 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,970 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:15 PM

A bird in the hand. Makes me think Dickinson aint happening. They already jumped on one transfer and kept Scott in house. Scott has to play in the frontcourt. Or maybe Reese is in danger of being poached. Regardless, I dont think we are seeing a Scott, Reese, Dickinson frontcourt.

#177 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:15 PM

Feel like Scott was better as a sophomore/junior than senior. Maybe put some weight back on and become more of an undersized 4 again.

#178 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:33 PM

Feel like Scott was better as a sophomore/junior than senior. Maybe put some weight back on and become more of an undersized 4 again.

Think he needs to play to his strengths better. He’s not an efficient three-point shooter, but has a fantastic right hook shot. Develop a better repertoire in the low post to compliment it.
@BSLZackKiesel

#179 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:34 PM

A bird in the hand. Makes me think Dickinson aint happening. They already jumped on one transfer and kept Scott in house. Scott has to play in the frontcourt. Or maybe Reese is in danger of being poached. Regardless, I dont think we are seeing a Scott, Reese, Dickinson frontcourt.

This won’t affect that. Scott would play the 3 and they’d stagger minutes. Dickinson still very much in play.
@BSLZackKiesel

#180 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 April 2023 - 06:35 PM

Also sounds like Dziuba and Revaz are both expected to transfer, so that’ll be two open scholarships.
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=