357 replies to this topic

#61 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:24 AM

Yeah I agree with 2035's sentiment but Hart's not a good example to use.

I'll also say I think the NCAA did the right thing by giving these guys the extra Covid year but I'll be glad when that has cycled through, too confusing to keep track of who still has eligibility and who doesn't.

Yeah wasnt really talking specifically about Hart or anyone. Just hate so much roster turnover year over year. Like hate it.

#62 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:50 AM

Also I personally think if you do your 4 years you can do whatever you want after that, you've more than paid your dues to the school and if you want to try a year at a new school to be the alpha or move to a different position or whatever, go crazy

It’s not a prison sentence where you earn parole in four years, it’s just college. Students always have and continue to change schools all the time. Revenue sport athletes are the only ones people get all up in arms over for some reason.

#63 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:42 PM

It’s not a prison sentence where you earn parole in four years, it’s just college. Students always have and continue to change schools all the time. Revenue sport athletes are the only ones people get all up in arms over for some reason.

I'll be honest, I have always felt that forcing sit-outs for a year was anti-competitive and anti-player, so I applaud the transfer change.  But in the age of NIL, the combination of constant transfers with the payments just doesn't sit well with me.

A big part of this is the fact that the NBA is seeking to poach the most talented players as soon as they can be impact NBA players.  So you just never get elite players that stick around for more than 2 years.  And I think that between that and the judgements against them, the NCAA's hand has been forced to an extent.

I'm surprised more schools don't use clawback agreements if you don't finish 4 years and don't go pro.

#64 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:51 PM

I'll be honest, I have always felt that forcing sit-outs for a year was anti-competitive and anti-player, so I applaud the transfer change.  But in the age of NIL, the combination of constant transfers with the payments just doesn't sit well with me.

A big part of this is the fact that the NBA is seeking to poach the most talented players as soon as they can be impact NBA players.  So you just never get elite players that stick around for more than 2 years.  And I think that between that and the judgements against them, the NCAA's hand has been forced to an extent.

I'm surprised more schools don't use clawback agreements if you don't finish 4 years and don't go pro.

The NCAA made this bed for itself. If they wanted to avoid these court decisions they could have (and what the decisions are is the courts increasingly indicating to them that their business model, whose foundation is built on unpaid labor, is illegal). But rather than try to bargain and compromise with players, they chose to fight in court to the bitter end.

And I'm not sure what you believe the schools are entitled to "claw back" from a player who leaves early? If he's no longer attending school, what benefits is he getting?

#65 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:17 PM

The NCAA made this bed for itself. If they wanted to avoid these court decisions they could have (and what the decisions are is the courts increasingly indicating to them that their business model, whose foundation is built on unpaid labor, is illegal). But rather than try to bargain and compromise with players, they chose to fight in court to the bitter end.

And I'm not sure what you believe the schools are entitled to "claw back" from a player who leaves early? If he's no longer attending school, what benefits is he getting?

I agree that the NCAA made this bed.  I still don't like the end result.

I mean clawing back NIL payments if he transfers.

#66 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:22 PM

I agree that the NCAA made this bed.  I still don't like the end result.

I mean clawing back NIL payments if he transfers.

The schools aren't making the NIL payments in the first place (that's clearly against the rules). Why would they be entitled to claw back any of it?

#67 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:57 PM

The schools aren't making the NIL payments in the first place (that's clearly against the rules). Why would they be entitled to claw back any of it?

The organizations that arrange NIL payments could insert a clawback clause.

#68 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:10 PM

The organizations that arrange NIL payments could insert a clawback clause.

They could, but they're not allowed, because the NCAA says they can't do it that way....since tying an NIL deal to a player's attendance at a particular school becomes a recruiting inducement. If the NCAA would just drop the whole charade, then no doubt an NIL contract could include language that terminates the deal if the player leaves school before the contract is up.

Instead it looks like the NCAA's plan is to go on a big lobbying binge in Congress in hopes of getting legislation that will exempt them from certain antitrust laws so they can go back to business-as-usual. I think that's probably going to have similar success as their recent court ventures.

#69 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2023 - 08:52 PM

Starting to sound more and more like Young might return for another year. Decision likely coming on Monday.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#70 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 08:53 PM

That would be nice. Any whispers of Reese leaving?

#71 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 March 2023 - 08:59 PM

Yeah I’ve been curious about Reese too. Bet he is highly coveted. Willard and him seemed to have a good relationship. Pretty sure he’s got some local advertisements going on around College Park too.

#72 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2023 - 09:00 PM

Haven’t heard anything on Reese, does sound like Scott is gone though. I think Reese’s development under Willard and Billmeier is a selling point for him to stay.
@BSLZackKiesel

#73 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2023 - 08:42 AM

Starting to sound more and more like Young might return for another year. Decision likely coming on Monday.

This would shock me.  Pleasantly, but surprising.  

@mikeghg

#74 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2023 - 08:45 AM

Haven’t heard anything on Reese, does sound like Scott is gone though. I think Reese’s development under Willard and Billmeier is a selling point for him to stay.

I have a friend who is a huge Villanova fan, and he thinks Scott and Hart could wind up there.  He has been known to put 2 and 2 together and get 6 before, so who knows.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#75 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 08:47 AM

Scott and Hart going "home" to play wouldnt be surprising.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:36 AM

That would make sense.  Lot of Philly schools. 

#77 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:38 AM

From what I’ve heard, Scott won’t be entering the portal and will be entering the NBA Draft process (likely winding up overseas).
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#78 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 09:39 AM

I know there were injuries and they played a tad better down the stretch, but I felt Neptune did not do great this year. He doesn’t feel like the kind of “attraction coach” to me for guys like Hart or Scott. Obviously can’t ignore the going home factor though.

#79 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 March 2023 - 10:50 AM

From what I’ve heard, Scott won’t be entering the portal and will be entering the NBA Draft process (likely winding up overseas).

Scott is not an NBA player IMO, but he is plenty good enough to make good money playing overseas,

@mikeghg

#80 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:00 PM

Virginia’s Kadin Sheldrick has entered the transfer portal. Name to keep an eye on as a backup center. Started half their games this year, averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds per game.
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=