#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 January 2023 - 11:52 AM

Following a blowout loss to Michigan on Sunday afternoon, Maryland heads back on the road to face off against Rutgers on Thursday night. The Scarlet Knights currently hold a record of 10-4 (2-1), and are coming off of a huge road upset victory over #1 Purdue on Monday night. They also have a victory over #15 Indiana, and have won four games in a row. Head coach Steve Pikiell's squad has lost just once at home this year, a two-point defeat at the hands of Seton Hall.

Rutgers has one of the best defensive units in the country, and they average more than 10 steals per game. Their backcourt has extremely active hands, with Cam Spencer, Caleb McConnell, and Paul Mulcahy all averaging 2 or more steals per game. Offensively, they're led by junior center Clifford Omoruyi who's averaging 15 points and 10 rebounds per game. At 6'11" and 240 lbs., Maryland will almost certainly have issues matching his size and strength. While they aren't the most efficient team offensively, their backcourt does share the ball very well. As a team, they average 16 assists per game, with Spencer, McConnell, and Mulcahy combining to average 11.

The Scarlet Knights boast one of the more underrated home court advantages in the country, though Maryland has only lost to them on the road once (in 2018) since joining the Big Ten.

KenPom Rankings

• Maryland: #38 (#60 AdjO, #30 AdjD; #194 AdjT)
  • Rutgers: #15 (#112 AdjO, #3 AdjD; #226 AdjT)

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 January 2023 - 01:35 PM

Quote from Willard today: "This is my third time rebuilding a program, so I kind of understand that when you put a roster together in a month and a half, sometimes they're going to hit adversity and you have to understand that they don't know how to deal with it yet... It's why I'm so pleased with the way they practiced. If they hadn't practiced good and they had come back with a bad attitude or came with a woe-is-me attitude, then I'd be worried. But the fact that they understand…Jahmir Young was phenomenal yesterday."
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 January 2023 - 02:58 PM

Quote from Willard today: "This is my third time rebuilding a program, so I kind of understand that when you put a roster together in a month and a half, sometimes they're going to hit adversity and you have to understand that they don't know how to deal with it yet... It's why I'm so pleased with the way they practiced. If they hadn't practiced good and they had come back with a bad attitude or came with a woe-is-me attitude, then I'd be worried. But the fact that they understand…Jahmir Young was phenomenal yesterday."

It is a fair quote.  I looked at this as a rebuilding year, and maybe next year too.  As for the "they practiced good", we are going to have to take his word for it.

@mikeghg

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 03:30 PM

Nice.

#5 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:28 PM

The RAC has emerged as good as a homecourt advantage as anywhere in the conference so this definitely won't be easy

(None of their remaining games look easy at this point but I wanna make sure I give some respect to Rutgers)

she/her

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 08:29 PM

I dont know what the line will be but its hard to envision not hammering Rutgers

#7 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:23 PM

I dont know what the line will be but its hard to envision not hammering Rutgers

Rutgers is currently favored by 6 points.
@BSLZackKiesel

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:34 PM

Eh. Pass.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:44 PM

Rutgers is legit IMO.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:19 PM

I took it at 5.5 and like it.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:22 PM

Home teams killing it right now and ricker is right. Rutgers is legit

#12 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 05 January 2023 - 07:48 AM

If we don't start shooting the ball better we're going to have a lot of games similar to the most recent one.  Hopefully not quite that bad, but when you can't shoot and you have little inside presence it's awfully hard to win basketball games.

I just hope MD can keep this competitive to be honest.  #3 defense against an offense that has looked as inept as any I've ever seen at MD at times.

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2023 - 10:02 AM

If we don't start shooting the ball better we're going to have a lot of games similar to the most recent one.  Hopefully not quite that bad, but when you can't shoot and you have little inside presence it's awfully hard to win basketball games.

I just hope MD can keep this competitive to be honest.  #3 defense against an offense that has looked as inept as any I've ever seen at MD at times.

I had the same thoughts.  With the lack of inside game, this team must be a good outside shooting team, and for the most part, that has not happened.  

@mikeghg

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2023 - 10:08 AM

I think I got a little caught up in inflated expectations after the hot start. I've reeled it back in. Still don't want to get blown out by 30+ anymore. Don't think that's a big ask. Expectations inflated or not, that is a bear minimum IMO. There's handling adversity, and learning how to do that... then there's just giving up. Losing by that much is giving up IMO, can't have that. Still stand by that type of result being completely unacceptable. 

• Mackus and BSLZackKiesel like this

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 January 2023 - 10:36 AM

I think I got a little caught up in inflated expectations after the hot start. I've reeled it back in. Still don't want to get blown out by 30+ anymore. Don't think that's a big ask. Expectations inflated or not, that is a bear minimum IMO. There's handling adversity, and learning how to do that... then there's just giving up. Losing by that much is giving up IMO, can't have that. Still stand by that type of result being completely unacceptable. 

Absolutely. It's one thing to have a bad shooting night, we knew before the year started that they'd probably have plenty of those. But there's no excuse for the lapses in defensive effort lately. I said it on the episode of Talking Terps we recorded last night, but it looks like their lack of confidence on the offensive end has turned into lack of effort defensively. And you simply can't have that.

Historically, they've done really well when they play Rutgers on the road. Hopefully that continues tonight.

@BSLZackKiesel

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2023 - 04:24 PM

Absolutely. It's one thing to have a bad shooting night, we knew before the year started that they'd probably have plenty of those. But there's no excuse for the lapses in defensive effort lately. I said it on the episode of Talking Terps we recorded last night, but it looks like their lack of confidence on the offensive end has turned into lack of effort defensively. And you simply can't have that.

Historically, they've done really well when they play Rutgers on the road. Hopefully that continues tonight.

I think the team has panicked in some of the recent losses.  Tonight will be interesting.  At some point they have to show some pride, and the way you do that is ramp up the effort.

@mikeghg

#17 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:32 PM

Bachelor starting

@mikeghg

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:35 PM

Maryland’s energy level seems much better to start this game.
@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:38 PM

You can see why Rutgers’ defense is the best in the conference. Just stifling.
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2023 - 06:38 PM

Rutgers up 5-4 at the under 16.

@mikeghg