Photo

Poll: will Maryland MBB make the tournament?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Maryland MBB make the tournament? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes or no?

1. Yes (5 votes [29.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

2. No (12 votes [70.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 04:38 PM

Can lose the next 3, and still have a path to 10 Conference wins.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 04:49 PM

Still no. Hope Im wrong. They have quality wins on the resume so prob wouldnt take some great conf record

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:12 PM

Nice win today, but the lack of depth was still very apparent. Can't get through a whole season like that and expect to be a tourney team.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 09:18 PM

MD is 51st in the NET Rankings.

1-2 on the road.
2-1 neutral.
7-1 at home.
1-3 vs. Quad 1.
2-1 vs. Quad 2.
0-0 vs. Quad 3.
7-0 vs. Quad 4.

10-4 overall, 1-2 in Conference.

17 remaining Conference games:

@Rutgers
Ohio State
@Iowa
Michigan
@Purdue
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Indiana
@Minnesota
@Michigan State
Penn State
Purdue
@Nebraska
Minnesota
Northwestern
@Ohio State
@Penn State

Best path to 9 additional wins...
Ohio State, 2 of 3 vs. Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, @Minnesota, Penn State, @Nebraska, Minnesota, NW, @Penn State...

8 Expected losses:
@Rutgers, @Iowa, Michigan, @Purdue, 1 of 3 vs. Wisc, Nebraska, Indiana, @Michigan State, Purdue, @Ohio State

That would have them 19-13 overall, 10-10 in conference... Wins vs. Wisconsin, and Indiana would really help and coupled with the wins vs. Miami, and Illinois... would probably have them in, but not definitively.

Sweeping Minnesota, Nebraska, and Penn State won't be easy either. If you lose one of those games, you have to steal a win in a game you'd currently expect to lose.

There's a path to getting to the dance, but voting today I'll say no.

Had them losing tonight... that's a nice swing win.
  • Mike B likes this

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2023 - 09:32 PM

They were considered one of the last four byes and in the tourney prior to tonight’s win. Building a decent resume.

#26 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:17 PM

Nice win today, but the lack of depth was still very apparent. Can't get through a whole season like that and expect to be a tourney team.

It is what they are going to have to do I think.  They did get some nice minutes from Rodgers and Long in the first half, but rode the starters and Martinez the second half.

Is Emilien hurt?

@mikeghg

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:42 PM

It is what they are going to have to do I think.  They did get some nice minutes from Rodgers and Long in the first half, but rode the starters and Martinez the second half.

Is Emilien hurt?

CSW did make a nice contribution, when he was in. But he still only played 7 minutes. Long played just 3. They essentially have a 6-7 man rotation right now. That's gonna catch up with them eventually.

• Mike B likes this

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:58 PM

Remaining schedule.

Home:
Indiana
Penn St.
Purdue
Minnesota
Northwestern

Away:
Minnesota
Michigan St.
Nebraska
Ohio St.
Penn St.

Current conference record 5-5. Even with a solid performance the remainder of the year, I’m still seeing 10-10, realistically. What about you guys?

Lunardi had MD as the first team in the “Last four byes” group (essentially the 8th to last spot in the tournament) going into this weekends games. https://www.espn.com...dness-men-field

I think they are in decent shape and 10-10 would get them in. This is a pivotal game against Indiana at home on Tuesday night. It’s a 9 PM start. College Park will be rocking. Looking forward to it.
  • Mackus and Mike B like this

#29 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:31 PM

I think 4-1 at home (Purdue loss) and 1-4 on the road (Minnesota win) is a reasonably plausible outcome, if they beat Purdue I think that boosts the resume enough to get in at 9-11

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

she/her

#30 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 06:55 AM

I know the team has played like butt on the road but I think @Minn and @Neb should both be expected wins.  If you do that, and go 4-1 at home (with Purdue being the loss), then I think you're pretty set.

As Ricker said, the Indiana game is huge.

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:34 AM

Tomorrow is a big game, and Maryland is getting better.  A win against Indiana would go a long way to getting them in the tourney.  I think 5-5 probably gets them in, along with a win in the B10 tournament.

@mikeghg

#32 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:37 AM

Very curious to see how they finish down the stretch. Would be cool to see a team that visibly improves as conference tournament time draws near. Like what Izzo teams do so often...
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 January 2023 - 11:41 AM

Very curious to see how they finish down the stretch. Would be cool to see a team that visibly improves as conference tournament time draws near. Like what Izzo teams do so often...

Sign me up for this. One of the things I want to see most in this new regime, an arc of improvement over the course of a season. To date, I’ve been very pleased. Need this Indiana game, keep it going.

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 12:40 PM

After going 4 for 4 from 3 vs. Nebraska, Carey is up to 31% from 3.  Was 39% last year, on more attempts. 

If he can get going consistently....  and with Emilien coming on... that would help a lot.

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 January 2023 - 01:05 PM

This morning's updated Bracketology from Lunardi. 

QhSelHh.png

https://www.espn.com...dness-men-field

• Mike in STL likes this

#36 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 02:07 PM

This morning's updated Bracketology from Lunardi. 

QhSelHh.png

https://www.espn.com...dness-men-field

Is last four byes the teams that are in, but not having to play the play in games in Dayton? Last four in would be those teams?

Seems like a dumb name. I thought they did away with calling the play-in games the "first round" because it insinuates 60 teams get a bye. Or a 16 seed beats a 16 seed and they "have advanced past the first round for the first time in school history" but not really. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 02:09 PM

The Last Four Byes are what Lunardi calls the last four teams on his bracket that don't have to play a play-in game to reach the field of 64.

• Mike in STL likes this

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 January 2023 - 03:37 PM

Is last four byes the teams that are in, but not having to play the play in games in Dayton? Last four in would be those teams?

Seems like a dumb name. I thought they did away with calling the play-in games the "first round" because it insinuates 60 teams get a bye. Or a 16 seed beats a 16 seed and they "have advanced past the first round for the first time in school history" but not really. 

Kentucky in the play in game?  Coach Cal is being harmed by other teams being able to pay players.  He has been doing NIL for a couple of decades now.

@mikeghg

#39 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:21 PM

Kentucky in the play in game? Coach Cal is being harmed by other teams being able to pay players. He has been doing NIL for a couple of decades now.

I think if he wants to he'll figure it out. He's also better than everyone else at getting freshman up to speed and contributing. If Stix was coached by Cal I don't think he would have needed 2 years of college.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:43 PM

I think if he wants to he'll figure it out. He's also better than everyone else at getting freshman up to speed and contributing. If Stix was coached by Cal I don't think he would have needed 2 years of college.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone (going back to UMass and Marcus Camby) that Cal was a good 'coach.' 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=