Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 06:38 PM

Adding a big bat at the trade deadline?

Do they drug test these writers?

Elias doesn't make upgrades from outside the organization. He is not ready for the team to win. He will sell at the deadline, because that's what he does.

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 December 2022 - 06:55 PM

88-74 huh? I'll take the under on that one. Love to be wrong though.

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 07:04 PM

Here are my 5 2023 Orioles predictions.

1. Gunnar Henderson wins RoY (from what I understand he kept his rookie status)
2. Adley Rutschman starts the ASG
3. Grayson Rodriguez pitches less than 150 innings, but is mostly effective, with an ERA Between 4.00 and 4.50
4. They win between 81-85 games.
5. Despite being hotly competitive for a WC spot, they sell at the deadline yet again, and miss a playoff berth by less than 3 games. Elias makes another dumbass comment about how bright the future is, and lauds the quality of the farm system as the Orioles watch from their couches in October.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,954 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 07:42 PM

Adding a big bat at the trade deadline?

Do they drug test these writers?

Elias doesn't make upgrades from outside the organization. He is not ready for the team to win. He will sell at the deadline, because that's what he does.

Bet me he will sell at the deadline if we are .500 or better. I dare you

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,954 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 07:44 PM

Or bet me we wont add if we are a contender. Either one works

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 07:50 PM

Or bet me we wont add if we are a contender. Either one works

Define contender. Let's leave no doubt.

#8 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 07:52 PM

Bet me he will sell at the deadline if we are .500 or better. I dare you

You mean the way he literally just did?

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,954 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 08:00 PM

You said we would be competitive for a WC berth and will sell. Not only will we not sell we would buy. If we only stay put and dont make an addition in that scenario Ill call it a push/no bet.

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 08:01 PM

You said we competitive for a WC berth and will sell. Not only will we not sell we would buy. If we only stay put and dont make an addition in that scenario Ill call it a push/no bet

What I'm asking is what you consider competitive for a WC berth. Did you consider us competitive last year when we were between 0-2 games over and less than 5 games out?

I say if they are 3 or more games out of a playoff spot, they will sell. If they currently hold a WC spot or better, he will stand pat. Any additions he makes will be small additions (role-player bullpen arms, platoon bats, etc.) not anything close to resembling a "big bat."

In fact, save for them possibly running away with the division, I don't think there's any chance he acquires any "big" pieces mid year. At best they will be 2nd or 3rd tier acquisitions that cost next to nothing. Big time acquisitions are for the big boys who care about winning the World Series, and that isn't Elias's Orioles.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,954 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 08:02 PM

What I'm asking is what you consider competitive for a WC berth. Did you consider us competitive last year when we were between 0-2 games over and less than 5 games out?

you tell me. Youre the one who just said we would be hotly competitive for a WC spot and will sell. Define it and we will work something out

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 08:07 PM

you tell me. Youre the one who just said we would be hotly competitive for a WC spot and will sell. Define it and we will work something out

See post above.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,954 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 08:13 PM

I guess there are too many potential outcomes out there. Ill say if its a scenario exactly like last year we wont sell and still likely buy. The problem with simply saying if we are 2 or 3 out( is ot 2 or 3 btw) is its possibly we are 2 games out of the 3rd WC and under .500 but say 8+ games out of the 2nd WC. No way of knowing where that 3rd WC spot will be through the month of July. Long stretch which can be considered the "deadline". I absolutely would bet but too many things would have to be layed out. We wont sell if we are contender and will buy. Generally speaking you know if you are a contender.

#14 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 08:21 PM

I guess there are too many potential outcomes out there. Ill say if its a scenario exactly like last year we wont sell and still likely buy. The problem with simply saying if we are 2 or 3 out( is ot 2 or 3 btw) is its possibly we are 2 games out of the 3rd WC and under .500 but say 8+ games out of the 2nd WC. No way of knowing where that 3rd WC spot will be through the month of July. Long stretch which can be considered the "deadline". I absolutely would bet but too many things would have to be layed out. We wont sell if we are contender and will buy. Generally speaking you know if you are a contender.

I just don't think he cares. I don't expect him to make a play for anyone of consequence for at least another year, and I think the ceiling on someone like that will be a B- tier FA. He has no intention if competing with the big boys, and is happy letting the O's be the little team that could.

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 08:34 PM

88-74 huh? I'll take the under on that one. Love to be wrong though.

I'm going way under that with no improvements to the rotation. Maybe Grod becomes the superstar everyone seems to think he will. Maybe every starter last year repeats their 2022 performance, Means comes back with a vengeance and they will make me look foolish. I wouldn't put my money on it though.

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 01 January 2023 - 09:07 AM

Simple question. What makes anyone think Elias would be a buyer of any thing resembling a significant addition when he didn't during last season trading window nor did he during this offseason (yet anyway)? So why would he do it summer 2023? 

I hope at some point the FO does actually indicate a serious interest in winning. I supported the approach during the last 5 dark seasons and naively believed that building a strong minor league system would pay off and that once those results started reaching the O's that they would make the step changes needed via FA signings and/or trades. They have had two windows to do so thus far and are 0-2 in my book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=