#1 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:03 PM

MLB Rumors is saying the Orioles have interest in Eric Hosmer.  Who did not see this coming?

@mikeghg

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:12 PM

Im being lazy. Im curious what Hosmer splits are vs RHP

#3 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,136 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:13 PM

MLB Rumors is saying the Orioles have interest in Eric Hosmer. Who did not see this coming?

It'd make about as much sense as signing Frazier.

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,136 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:15 PM

Im being lazy. Im curious what Hosmer splits are vs RHP

Historically, he's much better against RHP. In 2022, he was actually better against LHP.

I'm sure SD didn't help his power, but not sure why we need a no power 1B/DH.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:20 PM

Historically, he's much better against RHP. In 2022, he was actually better against LHP.

I'm sure SD didn't help his power, but not sure why we need a no power 1B/DH.

Wish we had gone with some power but Hosmer can play a good 1b and if his splits are historically better vs RHP it allows us to sit either Mounty or Hays if they arent performing vs RHP. Would still prefer Dom Smith but understand he is higher risk

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,136 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:24 PM

Wish we had gone with some power but Hosmer can play a good 1b and if his splits are historically better vs RHP it allows us to sit either Mounty or Hays if they arent performing vs RHP. Would still prefer Dom Smith but understand he is higher risk

Would rather roll the dice with what we already have. Adley and Stowers can get plenty of ABs against RHP as DH. Hays is probably just as good against RHP as Hosmer and he'll still give you plus defense in LF. Cowser should be up around mid-season.

I just see no need for a Hosmer type.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:27 PM

Hosmer has been above league avg as a hitter the last 2 years despite understanding of uninspiring he is as a name

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:32 PM

No thanks. More of the same, such nonsense. Also, since this is on MLBTR, it isn't likely to happen.  Except he sucks that bad, that maybe this would break that trend. Plus, I'm sure he could be had for a 1 year deal.

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,136 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:35 PM

Hosmer has been above league avg as a hitter the last 2 years despite understanding of how uninspiring he is as a name

Being a barely above league average hitter at 34 years old isn't exactly something we should be striving for as an on the verge to compete team.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and SonicAttack like this

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:39 PM

Being a barely above league average hitter at 34 years old isn't exactly something we should be striving for as an on the verge to compete team.

Hes over .800 OPS with above.350 OBP vs RHP for his career.

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:44 PM

Hosmer would actually make more sense than anyone they signed other than McCann, which says more to how awful this offseason has been than anything positive about Hosmer.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:44 PM

Hes over .800 OPS with above.350 OBP vs RHP for his career.

He's at that age where what he's done in his career doesn't mean a whole lot.

• Mike B, BaltBird 24 and makoman like this

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,136 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:46 PM

He hasn't been great against RHP since the covid shortened 2020 season. He was great in 2020, OK in 2019 when everyone was mashing the ball (.781 OPS), pretty good in 2018 (.829 OPS), great in 2017 (.938 OPS).

In 2022 he had a .693 OPS and in 2021 a .754 OPS.

#14 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:16 PM

This is Scott Boras posturing.  The MLBTR link is using Heyman as his source, so it's just as likely a member of Boras' team typed up this entry.  The blurb is the "Cubs and the Orioles" so this is way most likely to be a play to get the Cubs to bite on a ML contract.  HIs salary is the same anywhere (paid by SD), so it's just about getting on the ML roster, versus signing on to a minor league deal. 

The last sentence in there is pretty bad analysis by Simon. "The Cubs and Orioles do, however, present as two teams that have a clear path to regular playing time for Hosmer and are aiming to compete in 2023."  

There is NOT a clear path to regular playing time for Hosmer on the current roster.

Nothing else I'm about to type is an endorsement for Hosmer.

He would essentially be the 2023 version of Odor.  I'd suggest that Odor was actually important to the 2022 Orioles and while everyone wants to see the OPS and dWAR, there are things that contribute to winning that aren't measured by Fangraphs.

He's only 33 and we just signed a pitcher that was 35 so I'm not sure his age is as useful in establishing whether he could produce in a platoon as the LHed compliment to McCann.

I wouldn't have an issue with Hosmer in the general sense if you were doing other things....but the other things we should have been doing is leveraging his salary to accomplish useful things, 

I feel the same way about most of these guys.  Upton, Heyward, Moustakas, Hosmer, Corbin, Kemp, Ethier....you can leverage some modest performance opportunity of a guy by leveraging his salary to accomplish other things.  We could have done it with Odor and Andrus (more than once).  Frazier in the same boat without the salary.  Even Yelich today.  

....BUT NOW IN YEAR 5 we want to add the modest opportunity to compete guys (Gibson, Frazier) when these are the types of guys that are available every year.  You don't have to lose for 4 years to add these type guys to the roster. 

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 December 2022 - 03:53 PM

When I mentioned in the Cal Perry thread how it was so great they could hire a world class executive but wondered if perhaps they could maybe hire a world class baseball player, Eric Hosmer was NOT what I was thinking about.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 December 2022 - 04:37 PM

I'll put this here and something else elsewhere, later.

I think there's a role for a LHed platoon bat on this roster.  I think you trade either Stowers or Santander to get there.  If Stowers , Hays and Santander are on the roster, I want them playing 150+ games.  You get to work through slumps.  If it's August and you are struggling, someone else may get opportunity, but in general (1SP) as long as you are contributing to competing and in a good head space, I want to build predictability to the lineup.

I want Cowser (today) in LF in SEP and starting in 2024. I don't need to be in year 1 of Stowers maturation as a Big Leaguer just to move him later this year with his .721 (or whatever) OPS..  Good months, bad months, takers time and you never really know.

Similarly lot of respect for what Santander has done on this team.  He's been trade speculation for several years now.  We heard some good things about his clubhouse presence last year.  Not sure DH is the fit I want for him or he wants.  He looked bad in LF but decent in RF last year.

There are teams that need OFers.  The Rangers are PRIORITY: WINNING so a guy like Santander would solidify their OF.  Stowers would make sense there.  I talked about Stowers and the Braves in the Atlanta thread.  The Reds are looking to swap infielders for OFers, so there's something there, especially if you had another team with something you wanted short term.  The Chicago White Sox are playing Gavin Sheets (Larry's kid) in RF this year.  That seems like a flawed approach on a regular basis.  Tigers could use Santander and/or Stowers in that disaster zone.  The Phillies could use Santander or Stowers given their Harper challenges in 2023.

No secret I like the McCann move because he would be my C against ALL LHed starters.  That moves Adley to the DH spot 90+ times nad the numbers don't work with Santander nad Stowers and Hays all looking for their 150+ games.

So for me, even if the player I'm using isn't as good looking as Stowers (see: Cowser in 2024) or Santander, I'm generally OK with that because I think everyone gets squeezed so I'll trade one of those guys (heck, even both) and I don't need 2023 return back for them.

You can sign a guy like Hosmer...so Hosmer/1B, Mountcastle/DH, Adley/C or McCann/C, Adley/DH, RM/1B depending on the pitcher.

You can create that platoon at !B or RF or LF Hays to left, Santander to RF depending on who you trade.

Hosmer could be that guy, Heyward (now LAD) would've been similar in RF, 2035 has mentioned Dom Smith/1B, Eddie Rosario/LF with the Braves via the other trade thought.  If you sent Santander to the CWS, you could gets Sheets+ back and Sheets could be that guy.  I'll probably discuss is later, but Pavin Smith (AZ) is a guy I think might be the best overall fit for something like this, at the moment. 

So if we trade Stowers to the Tigers for Tyler Mattison, their CBPA pick (1-37) and 1.375M in IFA pool and let Hosmer (or others) form the platoon with McCann, I can buy that (or a dozen versions of it that don't include Hosmer)

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 05:16 PM

Typical O's move

#18 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 05:23 PM

Makes sense if he’s in a platoon. Lefty that can hit righties good would work at Camden. Not so much in Fenway.

It would be the best acquisition of the offseason which moves them from an incomplete grade to an F. Every other acquisition replaced a player lost, so this would be the one that would take playing time from someone. Namely Mountcastle.
@BSLMikeRandall

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 December 2022 - 06:22 PM

Namely Mountcastle.

Sorry, i never get takes like this.  26 this year, .774 OPS in 1200+ ABs,

OPS+ was 105 last year.  Offense was down everywhere and you are adjusting to a canyon in LF you didn't know about when the 2021 season ended.

Performance is never linear.  Torkelson was .604 last year....he was 1-1....would you trade for him?

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 06:42 PM

Sorry, i never get takes like this. 26 this year, .774 OPS in 1200+ ABs,

OPS+ was 105 last year. Offense was down everywhere and you are adjusting to a canyon in LF you didn't know about when the 2021 season ended.

Performance is never linear. Torkelson was .604 last year....he was 1-1....would you trade for him?

Has nothing to do with anything I’m talking about, which is a platoon.

Hosmer has a career OPS of .810 against righties, and as a lefty, would play better in Camden than Fenway. Mountcastle doesn’t have wild splits, so he doesn’t need to be in a platoon. But as the 1B, his playing time would be affected. I guess Hosmer could DH against RHPs. But he is a good defender, so they probably want that glove out there playing. So maybe it would be Hosmer 1B RM DH against RHP and RM 1B and TBD DH against LHP.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=