#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 December 2022 - 10:59 PM

Liftoff was just another one of the phrases Elias uses when he feels his actions are being questioned. He had just punted on a team in a playoff race and came up with “Liftoff” to pacify the fan base, It meant nothing then and nothing now.

That phrase was first uttered in Texas, after he had spoken to the players who were unhappy he had sold. Spot on. Could tell it was disingenuous. And while they’ve spent some money this off-season, it was a below bare minimum amount. And they could’ve gotten a really good player with what they did spend, instead of “shoring up the bottom of the roster” whilst holding claim to the #1 farm system in baseball.
  • Mike B likes this

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 11:04 PM

I really dont think he has any handcuffs on. At least not to make the caliber of move of say Bassitt. I do wonder if the lawsuit and impending sale(??) give him no chance to hand out a 100+ mil dollar deal

#23 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 11:28 PM

Compared to previous offseason it has. Lyles last year may have been the only guaranteed contract we gave out before Jan 1 in his first 3 years. Its clear the moves made this offseason are in an effort to improve the club in '23. And yeah, its only Dec 26. Still more time to do more. Know none of you want to hear that

It’s not clear to me. He replaced players that are gone with equal or worse ones. So he brought to team back up to, at best, full.

If they do more, great. Evaluate that then. Lots a of time but the cupboard is about bare.
@BSLMikeRandall

#24 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 December 2022 - 07:43 AM

You specifically took that comment as meaning the payroll was going to liftoff in a big way. Really?? 

I think he was saying its go time as far as trying to contend and compete. Part of that equation is indeed spending in the offseason compared to what we have done in previous years. What it didnt mean, and I said this before the season ended, was  the payroll was going to jump significantly in one offseason. 

I guess it depends a lot on what you mean by a big way. But yes I expected to see at least one major FA signing this winter. And a payroll at least over $80M (which if you recall is the number I said last year). 

#25 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 December 2022 - 09:09 AM

Regarding the notion that Liftoff = major payroll increase. That's PR work. It's a way to back peddle on his brash statement. One that the obsequious Elias fans are now trumpeting. No one expected the O's to pump $100M into next season's payroll. What was expected from everyone, was to see some impact players added to the roster, in an effort to compete for a playoff spot in 2023. That hasn't happened, and there are no more impact FA to be acquired. So now it's down to making trades. And he's already done the groundwork to temper our expectations on that front, by letting us know he doesn't want to have to part with anyone from his #1 farm system.   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#26 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 December 2022 - 10:04 AM

You specifically took that comment as meaning the payroll was going to liftoff in a big way. Really?? 

I think he was saying its go time as far as trying to contend and compete. Part of that equation is indeed spending in the offseason compared to what we have done in previous years. What it didnt mean, and I said this before the season ended, was  the payroll was going to jump significantly in one offseason. 

Do you even remember the stuff you type? YOU were one of those that bought big time into "liftoff" meaning major acquisitions.  You were betting on 80+M for payroll.

I said the payroll would be under 50M and you mocked that.  I can go find your quotes, but you said words to the effect of "he's putting himself out there to make big moves" and "do you think he's lying to us?".  Want me to go get them?

Since we're here, you were all against these 30+ type players that couldn't help us compete.  You constantly wanted to try and shade my "player evaluation" and here we are, trying to compete with the exact type players that are ALWAYS available in any year...in 2019, 2020, 2021....so we couldn't (try to) compete with these type players when we were intentionally not-competing., but NOW these players are exactly what we need to get to 'liftoff' which you believed in, but isn't really happening so you just change your tune.  There's a word for that..uh...<<thinking>>, <<thinking>>

...I'm not actually beating them up.  I think they should do better (I've already described what was a "B+" offseason, an "A" was never in play), but there will be opportunity for the Orioles to compete in 2023.  It's not some amazing result in YEAR 5 of this ridiculous approach...it's the type of opportunity you can always build...which you used to reject, but now embrace.

• weird-O and bmore_ken like this

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 December 2022 - 10:24 AM

That phrase was first uttered in Texas, after he had spoken to the players who were unhappy he had sold. Spot on. Could tell it was disingenuous. And while they’ve spent some money this off-season, it was a below bare minimum amount. And they could’ve gotten a really good player with what they did spend, instead of “shoring up the bottom of the roster” whilst holding claim to the #1 farm system in baseball.

Yep, He used the phrase after he traded Trey and Lopez.  I will wait to see what else we do, before getting too aggravated.

@mikeghg

#28 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 11:51 AM

Compared to previous offseason it has. Lyles last year may have been the only guaranteed contract we gave out before Jan 1 in his first 3 years. Its clear the moves made this offseason are in an effort to improve the club in '23. And yeah, its only Dec 26. Still more time to do more. Know none of you want to hear that

Not one move he made moved the needle. Man you really have blinders on. 

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 11:59 AM

I have blinders on while giving a grade of a D this offseason to this point. Ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=