Photo

Poll: what is your offseason grade so far

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your grade for the Orioles offseason? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

1. A (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. B (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. C (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. D (12 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

5. F (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 January 2023 - 11:54 PM

Right so everyone wants to bitch and bitch and bitch about not going after vets and "improving the team" through FA but just handing Westburg the job or even Urias is the obvious answer. Its so disingenuous. I havent heard you opine too much on additions or not so this isnt really directed at you btw. Others here bitch all the time about not adding marginal or solid vets at certain positions but add an Adam Frazier and its crap all over that move. And its for no other resason then they think its cool to crap on everything Elias does in FA

This is actually what's disingenuous. Like do you not think you're biased in favor of Elias?
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#122 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 01:31 AM

People have their pet favorite FAs. They draw hard lines. Some fell in love with Bassitt for example. But if it had been Eovaldi we signed instead its like that would have been crapped on. Eovaldi could easily be the better value going forward. Im using that as an example. Obv there wasnt enough money invested this offseason but to bitch about what was an upgrade in Frazier, a guy who could be a 2-2.5 WAR guy and the money spent on him doesnt ring authentic. It seems to me like its bitching to bitch

This is so unbelievably inaccurate, and a blatantly fraudulent representation of what almost everyone here has said.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and bmore_ken like this

#123 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

Our goal should be to compete for a world series, filling a giant hole with a replacement level player does not make us any better than the teams going for it. Was an F before Swirvin Irvin, still an F afterwards.
  • You Play to Win the Game and bmore_ken like this
@DaKittenz

#124 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 January 2023 - 10:28 AM

Swirvin Irvin is a VIBE
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#125 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:14 AM

Our goal should be to compete for a world series, filling a giant hole with a replacement level player does not make us any better than the teams going for it. Was an F before Swirvin Irvin, still an F afterwards.

To be fair, Irvin is better than a replacement level player. He's probably a 1.5ish WAR player.

But, yeah, I agree with your overall sentiment.

#126 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 January 2023 - 11:18 AM

Sure pick and edit the crap you want. I dont care. I dont want to interact with you. 

...and we'd know you don't want to interact with me because you took an element of a post about Orioles baseball out of context to have no point.  I wasn't just picking and editing, I was highlighting the ridiculousness of having an opinion of something you don't seem to know anything about.

Do you think the Nationals would trade Hassell, Abrams and Wood to the Orioles today for Cowser, Mayo, Norby, Bradish and the Orioles eat 34M of Corbin's 56M?  

#127 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 01:34 PM

I initially had them at a D. I'll give it a C minus with the recent addition of Irvin. It's a been an underwhelming offseason, however,it hasn't been a failure in my opinion.
  • BobPhelan likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#128 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 January 2023 - 01:56 PM

I initially had them at a D. I'll give it a C minus with the recent addition of Irvin. It's a been an underwhelming offseason, however,it hasn't been a failure in my opinion.

I think I said this in the 2nd post of this thread, but context matters for perspective of grades.  This is the type of offseason you can have every year in terms of creating some modest opportunity.  There were lots of opportunity (even if we had a terrible minor league system) to create some modest opportunity. 

I think many are (and maybe justifiably so) viewing this offseason as the year 5 offseason after intentionally doing nothing at the ML level for 4+ years, punting on the last trade deadline and the promises perceived in terms of the process and the words used.  If you have higher expectations, the grades will be worse.  

Just in terms of a context neutral grade, I actually would give them the minimum acceptable grade of a C.  They added 2 SPs with some opportunity, the best backup C move they could make (imo), a solid reliever, kind of an odd signing in Frazier, but a guy I've liked in the past.  They added some modest depth.

If you wanted them to do some more aggressive things (the box I'm always in), then you give them a D+.

If you thought we're at the point in the process where they need to be super aggressive, well that's probably all of the F grades. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#129 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 January 2023 - 02:58 PM

Dude

I think you nailed it. Regardless of how a fan viewed the last 4 seasons and approach, the expectation delivered from the FO was to do a lot more than this. As you said they could have made these exact same type of moves the last 4 years but didn't. We were led to believe, and clearly wrongly, that we'd see step changes this off season. We barely got incremental changes.

#130 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 03:54 PM

I'm down on the off-season results, and would still grade it low for the approach....   but this team might be be good enough to win the division anyway. 

Spring Training can't start soon enough.

#131 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:05 PM

I'm down on the off-season results, and would still grade it low for the approach.... but this team might be be good enough to win the division anyway.

Spring Training can't start soon enough.

What division are they playing in this year??? ;)

#132 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:08 PM

What division are they playing in this year??? ;)

They don't need to be scared of anyone.  The roster is pretty damn good. 

Gun to my head, I'd say I expect 81-85 wins... but 90-95 wouldn't be shocking. 

#133 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:10 PM

They don't need to be scared of anyone. The roster is pretty damn good.

Bunch of wussies still scared of everyone in the division. Not foxhole guys. Lol.
  • russsnyder likes this

#134 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:53 PM

They don't need to be scared of anyone.  The roster is pretty damn good. 

Love you man but you're nuts.  A team has won the ALE twice in the last 10 years, both times Boston with 93. Every other year was 96 or more wins. 

Could the O's win 90-95? According to this at least this one source doesn't even have them in the top15.

https://twitter.com/...918780010844160

Now for sure ST can't get here soon enough!!

#135 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:53 PM

Bunch of wussies still scared of everyone in the division. Not foxhole guys. Lol.

Wussies or perhaps a tad realistic?

#136 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:59 PM

I'd be shocked if they won the division. Not utter disbelief like 2012 WC, but shocked, similar to 2022 500+.

#137 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2023 - 04:59 PM

Love you man but you're nuts.  A team has won the ALE twice in the last 10 years, both times Boston with 93. Every other year was 96 or more wins. 

Could the O's win 90-95? According to this at least this one source doesn't even have them in the top15.

https://twitter.com/...918780010844160

Now for sure ST can't get here soon enough!!

81-85 is the right projection... but if that's what you'd average if you could play the season 1,000 times... there would be numerous years where you play above expectations and win 90-95 (and there would also be years you win 75). 

NY, Tampa, and Toronto will be expected to win 87-95 games each.  
Boston will be expected to be +/- .500 

If there is no doormat, you might not have one team that really pulls away in '23.

OTOH, with the reduction of division games, I expect the East to beat up on others. 

O's winning the East in '23 would be far less of a surprise than say Leicester City winning the EPL in '16.

#138 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,052 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 January 2023 - 05:26 PM

81-85 is the right projection... but if that's what you'd average if you could play the season 1,000 times... there would be numerous years where you play above expectations and win 90-95 (and there would also be years you win 75). 

NY, Tampa, and Toronto will be expected to win 87-95 games each.  
Boston will be expected to be +/- .500 

If there is no doormat, you might not have one team that really pulls away in '23.

OTOH, with the reduction of division games, I expect the East to beat up on others. 

O's winning the East in '23 would be far less of a surprise than say Leicester City winning the EPL in '16.

Well that's for sure!  

Still I see the O's finishing 4th and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them finish last or as high as ....stretch a bit....2nd. But major surprise to me if they are even in the hunt for a division title come say September 10th.

#139 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 January 2023 - 08:16 PM

This off season was a disappointment but not all that surprising.  That said, unless you think last year was a total fluke, I think the Orioles are being undersold by many here.  I think the keys are Bradish and Kremer and the BP.  I think it is fair to assume, a full year of Adley and Henderson will help the offense, but I still think it is at best a mediocre lineup.  I think the right grade for the off season is a D and the.sensible prediction in 81 wins give or take a few.

@mikeghg

#140 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 30 January 2023 - 07:55 AM

We don’t have the offense to contend for division. The offense was non-existent for large chunks of last season and we’ve done nothing to upgrade it. The improvement from AR and GH may get us up a spot or two. 

pitching is solid...feel pretty confident there. Defense solid. Offense is a weakness. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=