Photo

With VMart out for 2012, could Detroit eye a Jones deal?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Every time a significant injury occurs in baseball, it always seems that someone starts a thread, where it is determined that there is a chance the O's can benefit... however unlikely. With that said, this is one of those threads. :D

Victor Martinez, Detroit's fine DH, is out for all of the coming season, following an off-season ACL injury.

I and others have considered Jones-to-Detroit before, so it seems that while unlikely, the Tigers could consider approaching Jones to help offset their loss. Austin Jackson is their current CF'er and is coming off a middling age 24 season (.249/.317/.374/.691... 10 HR/11 Triples/56 BB's/186 K's/22 for 27 in SB's). He can go get it in CF and would likely be returning, along with prospects in any Jones deal. I imagine we'd discuss Jacob Turner and Nick Castellanos as well.

Anyway, I admit it requires an imagination, but off-seasons (and trade seasons) wouldn't be the same without it.

Thoughts?

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

I would think that the Tigers would be okay with including Turner in a deal. Supposedly they discussed him with the Cubs when they were pursuing Garza. I like jackson defensively but at the plate his plate discipline makes Jones look like Wade Boggs. Just a gut feeling though, if we could not get a deal with the Braves and their minor league resources, we will not reach agreement with the Tigers.
Does Vlad garner some interest from the Tigers?? They could sign him without giving up prospects?? I know he is no VMart but playing for a contender may spark him.
@mikeghg

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

They could and should just sign Pena.

I read where they are more open to trading Turner than Castellanos and would not trade both.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

What this could do is make them want to upgrade their pitching even more.

Jurrjens to Detroit still sounding very good.

#5 weams

weams
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

They want a lefthanded or switch hitter.
A nervous breakdown divided into nine innings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=