49 replies to this topic

#41 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 03:23 PM

Elias answered the only question I had this offseason.

"Do they actually care about winning?"

"No."

And he has the Fing audacity to blame fan interest for why they can't be more active?

What a joke. I'm disgusted beyond disgusted. They FINALLY have a core worth building around and they're passing it away.

Link

#42 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 03:25 PM

Oh come on. You cant take on that Yelich contract. Nor should Mil be looking to attach it to Woodruff right now. Its not like its impossible for Yelich to raise his value back up a bit. They are still looking to win. Both of those guys for better or worse do that for them

This seems to conflict with itself.  If Yelich's contract is that bad, then it makes sense for Miwaukee to consider a dump with talent attached.  If it isn't, then it doesnt' make sense for them but certainly does for Baltimore.  Pick a lane!

I wouldn't do it, btw.  Just go pay for a pitcher with money, rather than taking on this much bad value. Rodon, for example, would have cost not a ton more than what we'd be sinking into Yelich and you'd get him for a lot longer than you'll have Woodruff.

#43 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 03:28 PM

Link

You've heard the saying about actions and words, right?

#44 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 03:32 PM

This seems to conflict with itself.  If Yelich's contract is that bad, then it makes sense for Miwaukee to consider a dump with talent attached.  If it isn't, then it doesnt' make sense for them but certainly does for Baltimore.  Pick a lane!

I wouldn't do it, btw.  Just go pay for a pitcher with money, rather than taking on this much bad value. Rodon, for example, would have cost not a ton more than what we'd be sinking into Yelich and you'd get him for a lot longer than you'll have Woodruff.

Its a bad contract for the Orioles. Especially given who we already have  and our situation being small market . But just looking at it from Mil perspective its not a horrible contract as we stand today. He put up 2.7 WAR last year. He can contribute to a Mil playoff run next year. And if they are looking to move Woodruff they arent going to move a net minus contract, even though its not a huge net neg, to do it.

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 03:33 PM

You've heard the saying about actions and words, right?

You put it in quotes. Link. DOnt quote the man if its not a quote. Period. Its unethical even on a message board

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 03:38 PM

Its a bad contract for the Orioles. Especially given who we already have  and our situation being small market . But just looking at it from Mil perspective its not a horrible contract as we stand today. He put up 2.7 WAR last year. He can contribute to a Mil playoff run next year. And if they are looking to move Woodruff they arent going to move a net minus contract, even though its not a huge net neg, to do it.

So it'd be a terrible transaction for the Orioles and also a terrible deal for the Brewers?  That doesn't make much sense.  Especially since its a straight financial transaction.  Just take back the "Mil shouldn't be doing this part".  It was a mistake.

Milwaukee is perhaps the smallest market size in MLB, btw.

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,965 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 03:43 PM

So it'd be a terrible transaction for the Orioles and also a terrible deal for the Brewers?  That doesn't make much sense.  Especially since its a straight financial transaction.  Just take back the "Mil shouldn't be doing this part".  It was a mistake.

Milwaukee is perhaps the smallest market size in MLB, btw.

Yes it wouldnt be a fit for either side. Thats exactly why I pushed back on it in the first place.

IM taking nothing back. THey wouldnt add Yelich to a Woodruff deal. 

#48 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 04:08 PM

You put it in quotes. Link. DOnt quote the man if its not a quote. Period. Its unethical even on a message board

I didn't quote anyone in the organization. The quotes indicate the question and answer I had. If anything, I'm quoting myself.

#49 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,725 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 December 2022 - 05:27 PM

Lopez moves the needle.  Don't get an argument about how he doesn't.  He's not an ace or #2, and I don't think he has that upside, but he's been a very solid mid-rotation guy at an age where you expect that to continue.

Certainly I'd rather him have been the 2nd best guy we get and not the best.  But he's a substantially better bet to be good than Wacha or any of the other cheap guys.  I do see an argument for Eovaldi over a trade for Lopez given the expected prospect cost.

Well I don't think Evoldi or Wacha improve the rotation either, so like the other discussions, that's not my baseline.  I never had the goal of adding 2 pitchers to the rotation.

If you want to argue there less risk of the floor, ok, but that's not the average case, the performance curves overlap substantially.  Lopez was bad in the second half (almost 5.00 ERA)...if anyone wants to make an argument why that's ok, go ahead, but his season was 3.75.  Kremer's season was 3.23....Kremer would be my 5th option and I already put Wells in the bullpen.

Guys like Voth, Bradish and Kremer all pitched to ERAs under 3.60 in the second half.

I don't want any of those guys over GRod or Hall.  

If you want Means to go away and add one of the LHers in his place, I'm ok with that....but if I get the opportunity to extend Means, I'd rather have him than those guys.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 05:53 PM

Of course I don't want Means to go away. He returns in July and fills wherever the hole is. If there is no hole, celebrate, and then figure out a plan forward at that point. Probably a trade of Gibson.

Even if we add Lopez (or other similar), there will likely be a hole in July. Until that point, Lopez, Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez, Gibson with Wells, Voth and Hall available to fill in as needed. Add Means in July and we just might have enough to get through the year. Bullpen gets a bump from Voth, Wells and anyone else not actively needs on the rotation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=