MASN: A handful of Orioles questions that remain unanswered

https://www.masnspor...main-unanswered

#2 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 December 2022 - 10:53 AM

Executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias has been in contact with a large number of agents...even if a player is likely out of its price range.

So that's where those rumors are coming from. Sure, they're checking in with the A-Listers, but not with offers that are going to get anything accomplished. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 11:09 AM

This just in: I sent a date request via instagram to Scarlet Johansson. 

• BSLMikeLowe, dude and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#4 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2022 - 11:28 AM

This just in: I sent a date request via instagram to Scarlet Johansson. 

She seems a little old school.  I sent her a fax. #unique

• bmore_ken likes this

#5 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2022 - 01:11 PM

Would the Orioles double back to Jordan Lyles?

I don't understand this notion of a reunion with Lyles at this point.  He wasn't better than anyone we projected before we signed Gibson.  If Gibson fills a role, ok, but everyone you sign is going to be one of your starters.  They aren't giving Lyles (or anyone else) 10M to release him or put them in the bullpen and Norfolk isn't an option.

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2022 - 01:23 PM

When the heck do pitchers and catchers report to spring training?

Wait....is that a typo?  It says catchers.....we only have one catcher.  So when do pitchers and catcher report to Spring Training?

In an entry titled "A handful of Orioles questions that remain unanswered"....how can the backup catcher not be #1?  We started late November with SIX catchers on the 40....now we have one....and the 40 man has 40 men.

Personally, I think this could be a strategy to get Adley to extend.  "If you don't extend, we are catching you 1,537 innings this year.  We don't have another catcher. We will wear your ass out.  Extension?"

Yes, the Orioles will get another catcher, but out of the entire roster, isn't this the ONLY thing we really have as a remaining unanswered question?  None of these other things really mean much given where we are today.  Roch jokes that it won't be a catcher coming off...got it...doesn't the 40 need to lose someone so we can add a catcher? 

#7 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 December 2022 - 01:28 PM

The mere fact that a backup catcher is ANY part of the conversation now is sad.

• bmore_ken likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 01:57 PM

It's been fairly high on my list from the beginning of the off-season. A quality backup would be a nice addition to the roster. Gonna make 35 or so starts, so it's a meaningful role.

Not sure what's sad about trying to find a good backup. Everyone needs a backup, if yours is better than most then that's an advantage.

#9 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2022 - 01:57 PM

It is absolutely necessary.  The Orioles had a major drop-off in production at catcher when Adley wasn't back there and it's probably the easiest place to do something better.

The better question is that we've now had 4 full seasons of non-competitive behavior to create catching options and do we see anything after the inherited 2019 1-1 pick? 

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2022 - 01:59 PM

A quality backup would be a nice addition to the roster. Gonna make 35 or so starts, so it's a meaningful role.

...and if we have designs on both extending Adley (long term) and making the Playoffs (short term), I'd prefer that more like 60 games.

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 December 2022 - 01:59 PM

It's been fairly high on my list from the beginning of the off-season. A quality backup would be a nice addition to the roster. Gonna make 35 or so starts, so it's a meaningful role.

Dont disagree. But the ability of a backup catcher to impact the number of wins the O's get next year has to lag well behind a couple of good SP (of which we have gotten none so far) and a good everyday hitter (regardless of the position they play, which we haven't gotten either).

Sure its an important role just don't see it as important of our other needs. 

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 02:02 PM

Dont disagree. But the ability of a backup catcher to impact the number of wins the O's get next year has to lag well behind a couple of good SP (of which we have gotten none so far) and a good everyday hitter (regardless of the position they play).

I don't think there is a pecking order. Everything can happen at the same time.

Trying to find a backup catcher won't have anything to do with them failing to adequately upgrade the rotation and lineup. They need to do the bg things in order to feel good about the off-season. But independent of that its still better to do the small things well rather than poorly.

#13 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2022 - 02:02 PM

Dont disagree. But the ability of a backup catcher to impact the number of wins the O's get next year has to lag well behind a couple of good SP (of which we have gotten none so far) and a good everyday hitter (regardless of the position they play).

I get you're looking at the potential impact, but those really aren't unanswered questions at this point.  Lots of people wanted them, but we don't have holes in the lineup or starters or bullpen.  We have an absolute hole at the second catcher.

...unless someone thinks it's Anthony Bemboom.  

#14 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 02:06 PM

Dont disagree. But the ability of a backup catcher to impact the number of wins the O's get next year has to lag well behind a couple of good SP (of which we have gotten none so far) and a good everyday hitter (regardless of the position they play, which we haven't gotten either).

Sure its an important role just don't see it as important of our other needs.

I agree 100%. Obviously you want a solid backup at every position, but on the totem pole on a team with holes at SP, this seems like the floor. I mean how often does a backup C play?

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 December 2022 - 03:21 PM

I agree 100%. Obviously you want a solid backup at every position, but on the totem pole on a team with holes at SP, this seems like the floor. I mean how often does a backup C play?

This is more generic but relates to a lot of comments including Roch's second comment in this piece.

We don't have any holes in the roation.

Gibson (1/10)

GRod (#1 pitcher and top 4 prospect in MLB)

Bradish (3.28 ERA in 13 second half starts)

Kremer (3.23 ERA in 21 starts)

TWells (4.25 ERA in 23 starts and was Orioles best starter until he got hurt)

Voth (3.07 ERA in all 17 starts with Orioles)

You have Means coming back at some point and

IL Hall to fit in as you manage his innings load in 2023

Watkins (30) has an option left but was effective as a starter last year.

Akin can spot start.

Baumann will start in AAA - note: Bob has him in the Norfolk bullpen, but go read his assessment on the 5-6 starters.  Easy coverage for spot starts if needed.

Zimmermann thinks he's still competing for innings

You can sign another (AAA) depth guy but there's already 5+.

We have no LHers until Means and Hall work their way in....so if you wanted a 1-year LHer to try and leverage the largest LF in MLB, ok....but there's no hole in terms of having some recency bias towards quality innings in 2023.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 03:26 PM

The rotation desperately needs an upgrade. Need to raise both the floor and ceiling.

We have players available who can combine to make every start, so I guess there isn't technically a hole (nor is there at any other position on any team using this definition, so don't find it very useful), but it's the major weakness and there were many exciting possible upgrades available in free agency. We needed clear upgrades, not equal-to-what-we-have depth like Gibson or the guys that are now left on the market. Trade is the only avenue left to make the necessary improvement.

#17 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 03:32 PM

The O’s are one of those teams that have a legitimate primary C, and an as yet named backup C. Still, you can expect that BUC to start 50 games and see action in 30+ more. 

• Mackus likes this

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 04:06 PM

This is more generic but relates to a lot of comments including Roch's second comment in this piece.

We don't have any holes in the roation.

Gibson (1/10)

Voth (3.07 ERA in all 17 starts with Orioles)

You have Means coming back at some point and

IL Hall to fit in as you manage his innings load in 2023

Watkins (30) has an option left but was effective as a starter last year.

Akin can spot start.

Baumann will start in AAA - note: Bob has him in the Norfolk bullpen, but go read his assessment on the 5-6 starters.  Easy coverage for spot starts if needed.

Zimmermann thinks he's still competing for innings

You can sign another (AAA) depth guy but there's already 5+.

We have no LHers until Means and Hall work their way in....so if you wanted a 1-year LHer to try and leverage the largest LF in MLB, ok....but there's no hole in terms of having some recency bias towards quality innings in 2023.

So you like Elias expect that all those players will repeat  last year's numbers and Grod coming off surgery will be a beast. Good luck with that. 

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 04:07 PM

Gibson (1/10)

Gibson replaces Lyles as a wash. 

You want to start Rodriguez, Bradish, and Kremer. 

You could do worse than starting Wells, but the goal should be one front-end addition... knocking Gibson, Rodriguez, Bradish, and Kremer back a spot... and Wells into the pen. 

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 04:10 PM

So you like Elias expect that all those players will repeat  last year's numbers and Grod coming off surgery will be a beast. Good luck with that. 

Rodriguez didn't have surgery. And he was pitching at the end of the season. 
We shouldn't expect him to be a beast as a rookie.  We can expect somewhere between a league average 3rd to 5th starter in Year 1.  We can also expect he will have starts skipped, etc as they try and get him through an entire ML season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=