#161 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 04:06 PM

I don't know what's so hard about this.

Lyles and Odor shouldn't be on this team.  Modest (if even that) improvements over guys that shouldn't be on the team isn't improving.

If you love Adam Frazier (I've made the argument for him in the past) that's great, but why do we care about him in 2023?  If you think there's something there....why wasn't he here from 2019-2022.  Now is not Adam Frazier Day. We've wasted 4 years accomplishing nothing through losing and now we need the type of player we could have acquired 4+ years ago to create modest opportunity.  Now we need the lesser version of that modest opportunity? 

...and if you think Frazier is going to go off in some type of epic career year, awesome.  Own it.  Don't tell me how you can't do anything with money or that you can't win the Division.  BECAUSE YOU JUST SIGNED ADAM FRASIER FOR 8M.  Adam Frazier was hoping to catch on any guaranteed contract.  He's probably a better aligned version of Vavra.  Why would we need that.

This is literally the 2007 signing of Jay Payton.

We are the worst team in MLB history from 2018-2021 and the answer to fixing [whatever] is a 35 year old Kyle Gibson coming off a 5.05 ERA and a 31 year old Adam Frazier coming off a .612 OPS.  Year 5.  Awesome.

I'm not sure if this rant is directed at me because I was quoted, or just general Elias vitriol, but I certainly am not supporting these moves even if they incrementally improve over 2022. Better than Odor and Lyles isn't exactly a high bar.

#162 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 December 2022 - 06:32 PM

I'm not sure if this rant is directed at me because I was quoted, or just general Elias vitriol, but I certainly am not supporting these moves even if they incrementally improve over 2022. Better than Odor and Lyles isn't exactly a high bar.

Yeah a bar so low its set by 2 guys in 2022 who probably shouldn't have even been on the team ......lol

#163 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 December 2022 - 08:25 PM

Sorry, not at you.  I was going to point out that "better than Lyles and Odor" isn't even a thing and you did the comparison so I leveraged off your post.

#164 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 December 2022 - 08:51 PM

I was going to make a ridiculous example in the other thread to answer Chris's question, but Frazier is ridicuolous enough to make the point.

From the Valpo article he linked in the Facts/Opinions thread...

Increasing the number of wins will cost a team approximately $1 million in payroll (or a 1% increase) to get better players. Alternatively, an additional loss will save the team approximately $1 million by spending less on players. Spending more money improves likelihood of making it to the playoffs or the World Series.

This is the logical conclusion of these [people].

Therefore, because we spent 8M on Frazier, we have improved the likelihood to the Playoffs/WS.  Awesome.  We actually brought in a player that may not be better than options we have, but BECAUSE we spent the money, the chances go up.  Right....so if we'd given Gibson 30M and Frazier 30M....would we be more likely to make the playoffs....we did spend the money and that was the conclusion.

Of course I'm being ridiculous there, right? 

My comments are out of context with the way things reasonably operate in MLB. 

Well, their conclusions are more out of context with the way MLB operates than my absurd statement.

There.

#165 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 09:04 PM

I haven't read the article, but I doubt that the point it's trying to make is that the Orioles' or any team's expected wins would go up if they increased the salaries of players already on their team.

#166 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 December 2022 - 12:05 AM

The Yanks were so terrified of Frazier's lefty stick in the division that they countered by signing Rodon.

This made me lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#167 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 17 December 2022 - 07:37 AM

Frazier just said that the reason he chose Baltimore was the opportunity to play every day at 2B or a corner OF spot.

https://twitter.com/...67SMIrXMURb0ePg

You need to add "....Hello?" to the end of your handle. lol

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#168 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 06:36 AM

They arent playing him 8 million to ride the pine.

#169 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 December 2022 - 09:08 AM

They arent playing him 8 million to ride the pine.

No, he is going to play 2B.  At least at the start of the season.

@mikeghg

#170 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 09:32 AM

Liftoff.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952um8uz8todl8u4x45g4r

• mweb08, Mike B, Mike in STL and 4 others like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#171 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 December 2022 - 10:11 AM

Have we heard from Elias on this addition yet?

I don't expect them to comment on every minor league signing, but this was a major acquisition for the Orioles.  It by far the most expensive offensive addition they've made in 5 years.  

We've seen some Zoom footage interview with Frazier (again, I'm generally pro-Frazier)...but when Gibson was signed, Roch gets a whole bevy of comments.  Have I just missed it?  I don't see anything linked here.  Usually there's enough coverage here if it's posted, someone links it.

#172 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 19 December 2022 - 10:42 AM

It's kind of funny, in a very sad way, that signing this guy could start a conversation that's up to 9 pages and counting. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#173 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 December 2022 - 02:21 PM

Maybe nothing, but watching one of the interviews with Frazier on MLB, they talked about the team he played on at MISS ST.  Brandon Woodruff was his teammate there and ran a short clip getting HBP by Woodruff and coming back with a knock and asked him if there's something there (wink, nod, whatever) when those things happen....

...Frazier said (words to the effect)...we're still pretty tight.  We're brothers.

#174 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 December 2022 - 07:16 PM

Woodruff will never throw a pitch for the Os before the age of 38
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#175 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 08:35 PM

Woodruff will never throw a pitch for the Os before the age of 38

That may be too young. When will he be looking for a one year deal?

#176 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 09:40 AM

MASN: Frazier finding gradual gains at the plate

https://www.masnspor...frazier-finding

#177 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:53 PM

I'll be disappointed if he's still starting after the first month or two of the season. Still absolutely ridiculous that they dumped money into him with Urias, Norby, Westburg, Norby already on the 40 man.

#178 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 March 2023 - 02:01 PM

I'll be disappointed if he's still starting after the first month or two of the season. Still absolutely ridiculous that they dumped money into him with Urias, Norby, Westburg, Norby already on the 40 man.

The Orioles spent 8 M on Frazier, so be prepared to be disappointed.

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#179 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 24 March 2023 - 10:14 AM

The Orioles spent 8 M on Frazier, so be prepared to be disappointed.

It's all part of the master plan, block prospects so they have to stay in the minors longer so we can still have the #1 farm system again!

I'm kidding, I hope

• Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#180 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 April 2023 - 09:37 AM

To revisit a game thread conversation from a few days ago:

Just like that, Frazier's OPS+ is down to 87 and his rWAR down to .4.

My point is not to say he sucks or declare victory on him by any means, it's simply to further illustrate how fickle these numbers are at this point in the season.

Hopefully this inspires Adam to have a good game!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=