Photo

2022-23 Game 10: 12/11 #7 Tennessee 4:30PM FS1 (Basketball Hall of Fame Invitational)

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#101 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 December 2022 - 01:03 PM

Maryland lost to 2 good teams, but yesterday showed me something.  They stunk out the place in the first half, but got themselves going and had chances at the end.  Even after the last 2 games, I feel more certain, Maryland got the right guy when they hired Willard.  I have always looked at this year as a "do the best you can" year.  Willard put together this team in 5 weeks through the portal.  We need to keep that in mind as the year unfolds.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@mikeghg

#102 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 December 2022 - 01:13 PM

Just a few thoughts.  

I think Zack made a comment during the game, that I thought was 100% correct.  Maryland is one shooter short at winning games like yesterday.  As Carey continues to struggle, I wonder how far Cornish is from getting a chance to be that guy.  The same goes for Noah Batchelor. 

I wonder if there is any thought to bringing Reese off the bench to possibly keep him on the court more in the second half.  Reese was pretty bad in the first half yesterday, but I thought he was very good  in the second half.  

@mikeghg

#103 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2022 - 01:41 PM

Can we expand upon the transfer portal and try and trade for a shooter from a mid-major. What could we get for Cornish?

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 01:50 PM

I wonder if there is any thought to bringing Reese off the bench to possibly keep him on the court more in the second half.  Reese was pretty bad in the first half yesterday, but I thought he was very good  in the second half.  

One thing I'd consider doing with Reese is to yank him anytime he does get a foul and then get him back in shortly after.  Maybe its my memory deceiving me, but it feels like his fouls tend to come in bunches.  I'd try to break up the bunches, allow him to let his frustration dissipate, and get him back in the mindset of playing good defense without fouling.

Its also usually the guard's fault any time he gets an illegal screen.  They gotta make sure he's set before using him.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#105 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 December 2022 - 02:13 PM

Not a shocker here: worst 3-point shooting game in the B1G era with 20 min attempts

Screen-Shot-2022-12-12-at-2-12-04-PM.png

• Mike in STL likes this

she/her

#106 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2022 - 02:15 PM

By nearly half, lol. Ugh, it was pretty brutal.

#107 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:03 PM

Not a shocker here: worst 3-point shooting game in the B1G era with 20 min attempts

Screen-Shot-2022-12-12-at-2-12-04-PM.png

And they only lost by three. Incredible.
@BSLMikeRandall

#108 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:13 PM

16.7% on threes by going 4-for-24 wins the game for them lol

she/her

#109 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:26 PM

The possibly worrisome part is this year's team in 10 games is 1st on that list, 8th on that list, tied for 10th (4-20 against Binghamton) and another that's basically 2nd (2-19 vs W. Car.). Hope that gets better.

#110 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:59 PM

Its a shame they cant shoot. Because you see a lot of the other things they do well that would make them a legit Top 15 team if they shot better. 

#111 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 08:08 PM

I think the shooting will get to at least normal levels.  My bigger worry is that there isn't enough muscle inside with Reese to get through the Big Ten without getting gobsmacked.  I think the Big Ten record may end up less than we'd like after the strong start, but then they could be a team that could really do some NCAA damage depending on the draw.

Still hard to believe how vastly improved they are in Year 1 for Willard. Speaks to how big of a disaster last year was, that team shouldn't have been a joke but then completely fell off the rails. Good transfer additions on short notice for Willard and having a new voice that got full buy-in from the returning players.  Very refreshing.  I'm gonna have a hard time being very critical this year, all of it feels like house money to me.

• BSLZackKiesel and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#112 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2022 - 08:57 PM

I think they’ll continue to be inconsistent with shooting, particularly from 3, but agree that Big Ten muscle inside is the bigger problem as we are about to dive full bore into conference play. Fully agree on Willard. More than the results. I love the way he has embraced the MD culture.

#113 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 09:55 PM

The problem is they got no muscle coming in next year either. Granted they could hit the portal or find a spring signee

#114 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2022 - 02:40 PM

The problem is they got no muscle coming in next year either. Granted they could hit the portal or find a spring signee

I think they will hit the portal and the late2023 recruiting to add some size and muscle.  

Willard has been here for 9 months.  Give him some time.

You seem impatient which seems strange because you are fine with Elias and his 7 year plan.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#115 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, I feel what could be seen as a huge weakness now could drastically change with the way the portal is in the NCAA world these days.
  • Mike B likes this

#116 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, I feel what could be seen as a huge weakness now could drastically change with the way the portal is in the NCAA world these days.

Next year will be completely different.  Scott, Hart, Young, Carey, and Emilien all graduate. 

#117 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 08:51 PM

Next year will be completely different. Scott, Hart, Young, Carey, and Emilien all graduate.

I feel like every year is completely different with the portal, draft, etc.

This year Young is running the show. Last year it was Russell.

#118 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 08:55 PM

I feel like every year is completely different with the portal, draft, etc.

This year Young is running the show. Last year it was Russell.

Yup. And if you get a stud recruit you get two years at most. Definitely tons more turnover than even a handful of years ago. I do think basketball allows fans to connect with the players quickly, doesn't take a long time to get to know the new guys. Lots of games, short rosters, and no helmets.

The key is to layer everything, have a handful of good 4-year guys like Scott and Hart and Reese (or better yet Cowan before them), fold in some higher talent guys that'll only be there a year or two, and tap the portal to fill any gaps.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#119 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:32 PM

I think they will hit the portal and the late2023 recruiting to add some size and muscle.
Willard has been here for 9 months. Give him some time.
You seem impatient which seems strange because you are fine with Elias and his 7 year plan.

Nah youre reading into things. Willard has me quite intrigued

#120 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 14 December 2022 - 12:41 AM

Apparently you can (at least partially) blame both teams' poor shooting in this game on the basketball that they were using. In 13 games where this ball has been used this season, teams are shooting nearly 5% worse from the field (including 6% worse from beyond the arc).

https://statsbywill....&utm_medium=web

• Mashed Potatoes likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=