#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2022 - 04:55 PM

Following their 7-5 (4-5) record in the regular season, Maryland has accepted an invitation to participate in the 2022 Duke's Mayo Bowl at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, NC against #23 NC State. The Wolfpack finished the year with a record of 8-4 (4-4) in Dave Doeren's tenth season as their head coach. They started the year by winning five of their first six games before losing star QB Devin Leary to a season-ending injury. Capping off their season with an overtime victory over North Carolina helped to propel them back into the Top 25.

This is the first time that the Terps have earned consecutive bowl berths since the 2013-14 seasons, and will be their first opportunity to win back-to-back bowl games since the 2002-03 seasons.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 04 December 2022 - 05:05 PM

Old Bayo bowl

@fuzydunlop

#3 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2022 - 05:56 PM

Mike Locksley confirms that QB Taulia Tagovailoa will play in this game.
@BSLZackKiesel

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:47 PM

Very early odds have Maryland as 1.5-point favorites in this game.

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:51 AM

Ranking Bowl Games
https://www.cbssport...off-highlights/

16. Duke's Mayo Bowl: (23) NC State vs. Maryland

Friday, Dec. 30, 12 p.m. -- This ranking will rise quickly if either Dave Doeren or Mike Locksley promises to let somebody dump a cooler of mayonnaise on their head like South Carolina's Shane Beamer did last season; that should not be a one-time-only thing. In fact, every bowl game should dump whatever the product of the primary sponsor is over the coach after the game. Sure, that would be awful news for the winning coach of the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl, but if you want to make an omelet, you have to crack a few eggs.

The matchup here is an ACC reunion of two interesting teams. NC State is one of the most fascinating teams of 2022 because there's no rational reason for it to be 8-4 considering the injuries it's suffered. Doeren is clearly a practitioner of the dark arts. Then there's Maryland, which sports some NFL talent at the receiver position and a QB in Taulia Tagovailoa who isn't afraid to put the ball up there, for better or worse. This one is ranked No. 16 to start, but I won't be surprised if it's a top-five game in my post-bowl rankings.

#6 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 December 2022 - 11:12 AM

We're one week away from this game and the line has shifted to a pick-em.

N.C. State has had no notable players opt out, while Maryland has four: WR Jacob Copeland, WR Dontay Demus, Jr., WR Rakim Jarrett, and DB Deonte Banks.

N.C. State's quarterback situation is still up in the air. Devin Leary suffered a season-ending injury earlier this year, but MJ Morris also missed their final two games of the year. If he can't go, it'll be Ben Finley. Backup running back Demie Sumo-Karngbaye's status is also uncertain. Maryland shouldn't have any major injury concerns, but Billy Edwards, Jr. did miss the last few games of the season with an ankle issue.

With the four players set to miss the game for Maryland, here's how I expect the WR and CB depth charts to shake out:

WR (X): 1. Tai Felton, 2. Shaleak Knotts

WR (Z): 1. Jeshaun Jones, 2. Leon Haughton, Jr.

WR (H)1. Octavian Smith, Jr., 2. Kai Holloway

CB: 1. Jakorian Bennett, 2. Corey Coley, Jr.

CB: 1. Tarheeb Still, 2. Lionell Whitaker

Still will also serve as the starting nickel cornerback, with one of Coley, Jr. or Whitaker taking his place outside in sub packages.

@BSLZackKiesel

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 12:34 PM

Opportunity for these wide receivers to gain some confidence going into the Spring.

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 December 2022 - 09:38 AM

BSL: 5 Thoughts Before Maryland/NC State

https://baltimorespo...yland-nc-state/

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:55 AM

I know it is the CFB world of 2022, but I think it stinks that players quit on their team and teammates, before the season ends.  To me, it is selfish.

That said, maybe one of the younger receivers makes a name for himself.

• DuffMan and 1970 like this
@mikeghg

#10 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 09:10 PM

I know it is the CFB world of 2022, but I think it stinks that players quit on their team and teammates, before the season ends.  To me, it is selfish.

That said, maybe one of the younger receivers makes a name for himself.

None of the players playing in the final 4 have opted out and they could get just as hurt as the other teams playing in other bowls. It does stink they turned their backs on their teammates .

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2022 - 10:26 AM

None of the players playing in the final 4 have opted out and they could get just as hurt as the other teams playing in other bowls. It does stink they turned their backs on their teammates .

I was brought up to always finish what you started and what you committed to.   There are too many instances in sports today that scream selfish.

@mikeghg

#12 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 December 2022 - 08:52 AM

Winning a national title gets remembered for forever, winning a bowl sponsored by mayonnaise doesn't, pretty huge gap in risk/reward there  

• BSLZackKiesel and BaltBird 24 like this

she/her

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:05 AM

Very early odds have Maryland as 1.5-point favorites in this game.

The line has shifted in NC State’s favor over the last week or so, and the Wolfpack now enter as 1-point favorites in this game.
@BSLZackKiesel

#14 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:06 AM

Also I really doubt the players or coaches get care that much when it happens at this point, CFB is a business (and always has been) and the players are making a business decision to benefit their future. College is ultimately meant to prepare for being a professional regardless of if you play football, so I think people making decisions that's the best for their professional career is pretty reasonable. 

she/her

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:14 AM

Winning a national title gets remembered for forever, winning a bowl sponsored by mayonnaise doesn't, pretty huge gap in risk/reward there  

I want to give you the benefit of the doubt, so I'll start with a question... You're definitely not dissing Duke's Mayo... right? ;)

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:15 AM

The line has shifted in NC State’s favor over the last week or so, and the Wolfpack now enter as 1-point favorites in this game.

Wonder what drove that? The MD WR departures spooking bettors? Any definitive news on NC State's starting QB?

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:26 AM

Wonder what drove that? The MD WR departures spooking bettors? Any definitive news on NC State's starting QB?

Yeah, the fact that Banks, Demus, and Jarrett are all skipping the game is the reason. MJ Morris is healthy, so I'd assume he'll be starting at QB but Doeren hasn't made it official yet.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:12 AM

QB Billy Edwards, Jr. is healthy and available for this game. Taulia Tagovailoa will start.

@BSLZackKiesel

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:32 AM

Whos else is betting MD +3.5 at +100 today. For the sake of all of you I hope things go well for the Terps. Otherwise Locks and Taulia will squarely be in the crosshairs
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 12:06 PM

Edwards in to start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=