542 replies to this topic

#21 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 09:01 PM

I doubt Huntley would be a huge drop off in the passing game.  At least not the way things have been going for the past several games. What you worry about is turnovers which Lamar does keep to a minimum.  And of course, what you would lose in the running game. Not the greatest recipe for success but Huntley could probably be serviceable and beat Denver as long as he doesn't turn the ball over. 

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 09:44 PM

I doubt Huntley would be a huge drop off in the passing game.  At least not the way things have been going for the past several games. What you worry about is turnovers which Lamar does keep to a minimum.  And of course, what you would lose in the running game. Not the greatest recipe for success but Huntley could probably be serviceable and beat Denver as long as he doesn't turn the ball over. 

Huntley doesnt have much of an arm. There is little threat with him in the pass game. 

#23 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 November 2022 - 10:13 PM

Have you seen the wet noodles Huntley throws if he has to go more than 15 yards upfield?

#24 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 10:16 PM

I'm going with 27-13 Ravens.  I think we can run against Denver.  Their secondary is tough, one of the best DB groups in the league, but we still run the ball a lot.

#25 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:13 PM

Vegas hasn’t moved the line or taken it off the board FYI

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#26 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:21 PM

What has changed Year-to-Year with Huntley? He hasn’t played? Lol. I don’t get that.

Nothing changed with Huntley. The change is in Lamar.

When Huntley took over last year for Lamar, Lamar led the league in turnovers and was playing the worst football of his career. He clearly was pressing and wasn't helping the team, and Huntley couldn't have been (and wasn't) much worse.

This year, while he hasn't been great, he has certainly been better than last season.

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:24 PM

Nothing changed with Huntley. The change is in Lamar.

When Huntley took over last year for Lamar, Lamar led the league in turnovers and was playing the worst football of his career. He clearly was pressing and wasn't helping the team, and Huntley couldn't have been (and wasn't) much worse.

This year, while he hasn't been great, he has certainly been better than last season.

Whack

#28 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:26 PM

I don’t see how anyone who watched the team last year thought Huntley wasn’t a clear downgrade from Lamar.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#29 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:18 AM

https://www.therams....ey-week-17-2021

I'm just going to leave this here for the Huntley crowd.

#30 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 01:58 AM

I don’t see how anyone who watched the team last year thought Huntley wasn’t a clear downgrade from Lamar.

Lamar Jackson QBR in 2021: 50.7
Tyler Huntley QBR IN 2022: 49.0

Not that clear.

This is not a commentary on how good I think Huntley is (which is to say, I think he's a competent backup), but rather one regarding how badly Lamar was playing that year.

In the 5 games leading up to his injury, he posted an average QBR of 48.22, and had 6 td passes to 8 interceptions. It was, at that time, one of the worst stretches by any QB in the NFL that season.

#31 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 02:08 AM

Pretty bad. Lamar had also been as bad, like when he threw 4 picks against Cleveland.

I'll say it again. Huntley is not better than Lamar. He is not particularly good. With that said, Lamar was just about as bad in 2021.

#32 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 07:31 AM

Let me just clarify that I don't think by any stretch of the imagination, Huntley is any answer to winning consistently. We saw what happened last year. If Lamar were to miss any length of time, the season is more than likely over. Simple as that. But I wouldn't be all that concerned about his arm strength because we've had virtually no production beyond 20 yards anyway. And in that clip you posted, that was clearly miscommunication more than anything. The receiver ran a sharp route to the left and Huntley thought he was going post. There was no one there but the Rams defender.

#33 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:36 AM

I'm going to drop this once more...

In 2021 the Ravens were 7-4 in games Lamar started and didn't leave early with injury.  And in one of those 4 losses, he still drove them to take the lead with 37 seconds left, on the road, but the defense managed to give it away.  Official stats give him the @CLE loss too, but I'm not going to pin that on him, he played one quarter where he went 4-4 and Huntley fumbles made a HUGE difference in the final score.

In 2021 the Ravens were 1-5 in games Lamar did not start or left very early.

Weak O line, depleted secondary, and I'll be kind for a moment and call it "questionable coaching schemes, playcalling, and decisions"... still 7-4 when Lamar went the distance.  Otherwise, 1-5 with largely the same weak O line, depleted secondary, and questionable management.  Lamar having a bad year had the team near the top of the playoff seeding.  Other guys having a bad year led the team to not participating at all.

No NFL game has ever been won based on QBR.

#34 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 08:58 AM

I'm going to drop this once more...

In 2021 the Ravens were 7-4 in games Lamar started and didn't leave early with injury. And in one of those 4 losses, he still drove them to take the lead with 37 seconds left, on the road, but the defense managed to give it away. Official stats give him the @CLE loss too, but I'm not going to pin that on him, he played one quarter where he went 4-4 and Huntley fumbles made a HUGE difference in the final score.

In 2021 the Ravens were 1-5 in games Lamar did not start or left very early.

Weak O line, depleted secondary, and I'll be kind for a moment and call it "questionable coaching schemes, playcalling, and decisions"... still 7-4 when Lamar went the distance. Otherwise, 1-5 with largely the same weak O line, depleted secondary, and questionable management. Lamar having a bad year had the team near the top of the playoff seeding. Other guys having a bad year led the team to not participating at all.

No NFL game has ever been won based on QBR.

Do you recall how insanely unlikely some of those wins were? Like the one that took a record breaking kick from Tucker, for example?

The team didn't play well under Huntley, but we all knew that was a fraudulent 7-4 team. The last 3rd of the season was in part some course correction.

#35 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:41 AM

Do you recall how insanely unlikely some of those wins were? Like the one that took a record breaking kick from Tucker, for example?

The team didn't play well under Huntley, but we all knew that was a fraudulent 7-4 team. The last 3rd of the season was in part some course correction.

Which game was fraudulent besides the Lions game? Which, by the way, they led comfortably 16-7 in the 4th despite Hollywood dropping, what, 3 long TD passes?

You can't really count the Colts, because while unlikely, the point being discussed is Lamar's performance re: winning and he was otherworldly that game.

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:56 AM

Lamar was perhaps the MVP for the first two months last year, played pretty damn badly for a month, then got hurt and missed the final month. Time frames approximated for simplicity.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#37 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:06 AM

Lamar was perhaps the MVP for the first two months last year, played pretty damn badly for a month, then got hurt and missed the final month. Time frames approximated for simplicity.

That's about right. He was really pretty bad for 5 weeks.

#38 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:10 AM

Which game was fraudulent besides the Lions game? Which, by the way, they led comfortably 16-7 in the 4th despite Hollywood dropping, what, 3 long TD passes?

You can't really count the Colts, because while unlikely, the point being discussed is Lamar's performance re: winning and he was otherworldly that game.

They almost certainly lose to KC if they don't fumble at the end of the game. They had a miniscule chance to beat the Colts as well. I'm not bringing this up in the context only of Lamar's performance - that team as a whole was worse than it's record and everyone knew it.

I'm not going to tell you Lamar wasn't great for the first 6 games of the season overall. However, he was as bad as he was good the final 5 games prior to his injury. When Huntley took over, he really didn't play any worse than Lamar was playing.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:11 AM

Vegas hasn’t moved the line or taken it off the board FYI

Taken it off the board? As in not an option to bet on? I’m such a noob. Were you expecting them to?

#40 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:14 AM

Taken it off the board? As in not an option to bet on? I’m such a noob. Were you expecting them to?

Usually if a game or total is taken off the board it is because a key player status is in doubt or there is a severe weather issue that could change the game.  If they say a game is circled, you can still bet it but there is a limit to how much can be bet.  They also won't allow you to include circled games in parlay or teaser bets, as a rule.  

Lamar would obviously be a key player and the fact that nobody has taken the game down or circled it means that Vegas hasn't been told his status is in doubt.  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=