144 replies to this topic

#101 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 January 2023 - 12:24 PM

South Carolina RB MarShawn Lloyd has hit the portal. He was a 5-star recruit from DeMatha and played for Elijah Brooks.

Lloyd has committed to USC (the one on the west coast this time).

#102 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 January 2023 - 02:58 PM

TE Weston Wolff and LB Ahmad McCullough have entered the transfer portal.

McCullough is the most notable player to leave so far, he played in every game this season and was fourth on the team in tackles.

McCullough is headed to Washington State.
@BSLZackKiesel

#103 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 January 2023 - 04:52 PM

DL Mosiah Nasili-Kite has entered the transfer portal. Big loss of a guy who was expected to be back next year.

Nasili-Kite is headed to Auburn.
@BSLZackKiesel

#104 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 January 2023 - 05:03 PM

Former Michigan DL Eyaba Okie has entered the transfer portal. He’s a local product likely following Biff Poggi to Charlotte, but worth keeping an eye on.
@BSLZackKiesel

#105 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 05:22 PM

Former Michigan DL Eyaba Okie has entered the transfer portal. He’s a local product likely following Biff Poggi to Charlotte, but worth keeping an eye on.

Based on his quote about Poggi in an article from The Athletic, I'd be pretty surprised if he goes anywhere but Charlotte. I would think he only has one year of eligibility left for as much as he's been around. For those who don't recognize the name, he used to go by Eyabi Anoma.

#106 MikeinOwingsMills

MikeinOwingsMills
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 January 2023 - 12:48 PM

I see that Walter Rouse, the ex-Stanford OT, picked Oklahoma after flipping from Nebraska. 3-year starter for the Cardinal, from Silver Spring (Sid Friends). Not sure if the Terps were ever on his radar (I imagine he very much was on theirs). Would've been nice to have gotten him - fills a definite need, lots of experience with top-level competition, and FWIW wouldn't be missing much in academic quality, either. Oh, well.

#107 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 January 2023 - 03:12 PM

Just days after committing to Cincinnati, former North Carolina Central OL Corey Bullock announced he’ll be transferring to Maryland. He started 12 games for the Eagles last season and was an All-MEAC First Team selection. Has the ability to play anywhere on the line. He’s a local product, hailing from Brandywine, MD.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#108 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 04:35 PM

IMS: Maryland Football Recruiting: Terps land highly regarded in-state transfer

https://247sports.co...bftOrgKyQJK1wU0

#109 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 February 2023 - 11:18 AM

OL Mason Lunsford has entered the transfer portal. This one is a surprise, as he’s been the starting left guard for the last two years and was expected to do the same in 2023.
@BSLZackKiesel

#110 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 11:36 AM

He’s leaving as a grad transfer. Didn’t think he’d been around that long, but a lot of these kids finish their degree in 3 years now.

#111 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 February 2023 - 11:51 AM

He’s leaving as a grad transfer. Didn’t think he’d been around that long, but a lot of these kids finish their degree in 3 years now.

He was part of the 2019 recruiting class, so he’s been in school for 4 years.
@BSLZackKiesel

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 18 February 2023 - 12:37 PM

Damn how time flies.

#113 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 February 2023 - 12:54 PM

The starting left guard job will now be hotly contested in the spring, as will the majority of the spots along the offensive line. My best guess at how it shakes out as of today is below.

LT: Andre Roye, Jr.

LG: Corey Bullock

C: Coltin Deery

RG: Delmar Glaze

RT: Marcus Dumervil

@BSLZackKiesel

#114 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 March 2023 - 01:16 PM

DL Anthony Booker, Jr. has entered the transfer portal. Significant loss for the defense.
@BSLZackKiesel

#115 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 March 2023 - 01:37 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but it feels like the portal taketh more than it giveth under Lox, no? I like that quote he uses. It can be true. But has it been in our case? I genuinely don’t know, I’m asking.

#116 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,938 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

Colllege atheltics FA baby. Gotta love it. Especially when you are essentially always on 1 yr deals

#117 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 01:44 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but it feels like the portal taketh more than it giveth under Lox, no? I like that quote he uses. It can be true. But has it been in our case? I genuinely don’t know, I’m asking.

Last year they definitely lost more than they gained out of the portal, though they did get a couple contributors (Ryland and Copeland off the top of my head). This year, up through the last portal window, I'd say they had a net gain. But losing Lunsford and Booker changes that, and we'll probably see more guys leave as spring practices roll on. But there's another portal window after spring practice (May 1-15), and they'll definitely need to get some players then to even it out.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#118 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 March 2023 - 02:27 PM

Colllege atheltics FA baby. Gotta love it. Especially when you are essentially always on 1 yr deals

Yeah, it is what it is but it still sucks. All for them being compensated rather than unfairly used, but I just wish there were a better way. The NCAA made this bed.

That said, it’s the world we find ourselves in. I wonder what the progress has been like on the NIL front at Maryland. Wish we knew more about all that.

Is there any required transparency on NIL? Or is it voluntary for players to disclose those deals? Have the guys we’ve lost gotten money elsewhere? Is MD still behind on this?

#119 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, it is what it is but it still sucks. All for them being compensated rather than unfairly used, but I just wish there were a better way. The NCAA made this bed.

That said, it’s the world we find ourselves in. I wonder what the progress has been like on the NIL front at Maryland. Wish we knew more about all that.

Is there any required transparency on NIL? Or is it voluntary for players to disclose those deals? Have the guys we’ve lost gotten money elsewhere? Is MD still behind on this?

There is an organized NIL effort for MD football.

https://tbiaf.org/news-events/

Saw some retweets from players who were doing activities as a part of it last season, so it's a thing. Don't know how well funded it is, especially compared to other Big Ten schools, but it has Kevin Plank's backing, so there's certainly a little money there.

There is no required public disclosure of NIL deals, but players are required to report it to their school. Any public mention you hear of, particularly the big money deals, is probably just someone trying to get a recruiting edge and should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

As for the end game in all this, I think we'll eventually get to the point where schools (whether through the NCAA or some other central governing body) collectively bargain with players where they'll get a cut of revenues, and other benefits, in exchange for less freedom of movement than they have now. Essentially, a pro sports model. How and when we'll get there, I don't even have a guess, but I think that's where we inevitably end up.

#120 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 March 2023 - 03:01 PM

I'd say they've probably broken even at the very least. They've lost some significant players like Demeioun Robinson, C.J. Dippre, and Mason Lunsford, but they've also gained players like Taulia Tagovailoa and Chad Ryland. Not to mention this year's transfer class, which is outstanding. Ja'Quan Sheppard, Tyrese Chambers, Avantae Williams, and Kaden Prather will all play significant roles this season.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=